Thread: Which gpu for use for Lightwave is good?

Which gpu for use for Lightwave is good?

Hello

I currently have a GTX 660 DU CUII gpu. How will this work for Lightwave? I have a chance to get a MSI Lightening GTX 580 for 150 dollars. Is this better? Should I go with 670 or 760?

If I could get it, would a GTX 780 or Titan be good?

A GTX 660 will be fine. I am still using a GTX 280 with a 30" monitor. Unless are doing massive poly counts or using Octane renderer use a power efficient graphics card. If you already have one use it.

I was using it with a 24" as well as the 30" but using XP one can't have a separate calibrations with a Spyder. So I have a 9500 gt for the 24" for the menus.

I would spend a bit extra on a 250 GB SSD first.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Well, in another thread here somewhere, we discussed the crippling of GTX7xx and GTX6xx cards in order to "add value" to the Professional Quadro line that are way overpriced. The GTX5xx series wasn't crippled, so will have higher frame rates similar to a Quadro. But, this really only applies to tumbling models in a GL viewport. If that is what you are concerned with, and not going to be using the GPU for rendering in an external renderer like Thea or Octane, then go for the 580. If you will be using the GPU for rendering, then the 780 or Titan may be better. There are some benchmarks that compare the various GPUs and some are surprisingly efficient over the more expensive varieties. All that said, the 660 you have is fine. LightWave works great with far lesser cards.
    Last edited by spherical; 02-09-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Well, in another thread here somewhere, we discussed the crippling of GTX7xx and GTX6xx cards in order to "add value" to the Professional Quadro line that are way overpriced. The GTX5xx series wasn't crippled, so will have higher frame rates similar to a Quadro. But, this really only applies to tumbling models in a GL viewport. If that is what you are concerned with, and not going to be using the GPU for rendering in an external renderer like Thea or Octane, then go for the 580. If you will be using the GPU for rendering, then the 780 or Titan would be better. All that said, the 660 you have is fine. LightWave works great with lesser cards.
    What is tumbing models and what is Thea and Octane?

Maneuvering around the viewport.

Thea Render, Octane and others are external unbiased renderers that have emphasis on real-world physics.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

A little trick to speed up object redraws in viewports is to give every surface some Smoothing. So simply make every surface at least 1% every time you create a surface.
    Last edited by JonW; 02-09-2014 at 09:29 PM.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB