Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devices to enhance Kinect capability for mocap

Hmmmm, may be too early to tell but I would seem that iPi would have been a better choice than NM. Didn't do enough research.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

It depends on what you need. For human motion capture with multiple Kinects, I'd say yeah, of course, but also keep in mind that iPi Mocap Studio costs a lot more than Nevron Motion and it is not a mocap editing tool (like Nevron Motion/Genoma.) iPi Mocap Studio also does not have face capture, nor does it allow you to input Kinect data directly into LightWave's channel inputs the way Nevron Motion can.

Ideally, you might use both--but I would talk to somebody who is actually doing that for accurate information. (In my case, I'm using iPi with Motion Builder to LightWave, but a friend of mine says iPi plays well with Nevron Motion on his projects.)

G.

Last edited by erikals; 01-31-2014 at 01:59 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Just got an email from Thalmic labs announcing that they are shipping Myo alpha units to developers now. Yay! It's not vaporware!

All kidding aside, this is exciting news.

G.

Just an update for you all. I tested out the Wii remote and wasn't able to get it to even connect via bluetooth despite looking up the compatibility lists beforehand and testing out all of the various device drivers (called "stacks" apparently). So, either the USB bluetooth is the issue, or it is the fact I purchased a 3rd party Wii remote. I will have a second USB adapter coming in the mail soon which might work (longer range one basically), but I'm skeptical at this point. If it works great, if not, losing $15 isn't going to kill me

Since i've gathered a bunch of data on the PS3 move controller, I also have one coming in the mail; it seems you can get them fairly cheap on Ebay as well. If it works as expected, I may be able to put out some interesting test videos with it... hopefully!
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 02-07-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

UPDATE:

I got my ps3 move controller in the mail yesterday (~$24 on ebay) and got a chance to try it out. I have mixed results:

- I cannot get the gyroscope functionality/values to work in a usable fashion... the values seem to operate relative to the orientation direction of the device, but it jumps/jitters between values ranging between 150-14000 degrees. I am using the motioninJoy drivers at the moment, and I cannot get the calibration functions to operate at all.

- I can, however, utilize all of the buttons on the device, including the pressure-sensitive trigger which can provide a means of allowing the character's wrists to rotate gradually as it is pressed.

With a bit more research, I may be able to get the gyroscopic functions to operate, but for now I'll need to settle with the back trigger functionality.

Hmm. I can only speak of my experience with iPi Mocap Studio but when using the PS Move devices, the user is required to aim each device directly into a Kinect for a few frames to give the software a reference orientation for each. My understanding it that this is for locking in the heading (I guess pitch and bank can be assumed once you have the heading.) I believe they're using their own drivers for Windows 7 but they I think they suggest using MotionInJoy for Win 8. I know that's not specifically useful info but hopefully it will give you an idea or two for your project.

G.

UPDATE:

Ok, I got the ps3 move device to work without the PS3 or the eye camera using a program called "JoyEmu.exe". This generates a generic driver that outputs values in a usable fashion including the gyroscope/magnetometer values (minus the jittering and value flipping). It works quite nicely! I'll try and get a demo video up soon.

Results of ps3 move with Nevron without using a ps3 or extra move camera. Works quite nicely. (I cross-posted this on my videos thread as well to keep all the video content in one place).

The next thing I need to verify, which will be sometime in the next week or two, is whether or not this driver will let me use two PS3 move controllers at the same time (it's really hard to avoid having to do excessive cleanup/editing with only 1 controller doing both hands). I'll update again when I get it in the mail.

That's pretty cool! Thanks for reports and demonstration...and please keep 'em coming.

G.

Great work, Ryan. You are OUR E.I.C. ... Explain-er In Chief! ;-)

Also, if you want to get your hands on a Motion Move Controller, you can run down to the local GameStop and pick one up for just $20. I'm going to do it.
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

UPDATE:

Regarding dual PS3 move controllers... after about 10 or so hours of fighting with drivers, lots of programs, and experimentation I cannot get the gyroscopic functions of both controllers working at the same time.

DETAILS

So, to get one controller working properly, I use the following programs:

- MotioninJoy is required to pair up the controllers with a bluetooth device. I have read that you can natively pair the controllers with the windows bluetooth stack (win7), but i've had no luck with it and the general consensus is that it is a real pain in the butt to get working. To be clear, windows bluetooth stack can see my controllers and connect to them, but the PS3 controller can't "pair", making the windows bluetooth stack useless. MotioninJoy's drivers do not produce usable gyroscopic values in Virtual Studio (specifically, the value appears to be read as an 8-bit integer, or 0 thru 255).

- PPJoy is needed to get usable values out of the PS3 move (used in conjunction with motioninJoy). PPJoy + MotioninJoy works great for 1 controller, but the second controller essentially gets ignored... sources i've been able to read up on say that MotioninJoy currently only supports 1 controller's gyroscopic functions at a time. I can get both button sets of both PS move controllers working, but again it is the rotation functionality I'm after.

- JoyEmu.exe works with PPJoy and feeds data into its HID entries. Again, a single controller yields 100% functionality, but the second controller is ignored and the values in both MotioninJoy and virtual studio look frozen in place.

OTHER EXPERIMENTS

- I have also tried other methods in attempt to get dual PS move controllers working. The MoveAPI program works when both PS moves are plugged in, but it works off of the windows bluetooth stack so despite the fact both controllers work with it... I can't unplug them. Persuing this option further would require me to figure out a way to force the PS move to pair with the bluetooth windows stack... which I don't see happening. I have multiple bluetooth adapters and have tried them all (again, the controllers get seen, but will not pair).

For reference, I'm on Windows 7 home premium (64-bit)

EDIT: I want to see if I can inject IPI's drivers into HID; don't expect it to work but its worth a try.
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 02-23-2014 at 11:21 AM.

Looking at this from a different perspective, the symptoms may indicate that it is only seeing one and locking onto it. I mean actually seeing. That the buttons work on both would indicate that it's driver can deal with two but visually locks onto only one and/or thinks that it is large in one dimension, because there are two sources separated by some distance like a two-point poly. So, this leads me to the possibility that changing the color of one of them far enough so that the sensor can differentiate between them may work. I wouldn't think that the color range would be severely narrow, although it probably has limits so that it sees the correct object. If that is the case, changing the color of both, one off in one direction from the original, say yellower, and the other off in the other direction, say bluer, both still within the range, may get some positive results.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast