Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hitfilm Express Free until Feb 4

Hitfilm Express Free until Feb 4

Downloading it considering I'm already hunting for a video editing/compositing package that's right for my production needs. Thank you very much for sharing!
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

decent little program...intuitive
    the express edition is a little hampered by export choices, and built in effects....

but still a nice fast little app

I think to use it for serious production you would have to upgrade to the full edition....which is very cheap to do right now

Many Good Karma points to you sir!
    Thanks for the share

So far the program seems pretty good. Very fast editing workflow, feels snappy, and makes use of the GPU so there's next to no lag when throwing a bunch of video clips together and layering them and such. I agree express's available effects are lacking, but can't complain for the price.

One huge snag I ran into is that export times are awful. I'm getting ~6-8 minutes for a 10-20 second clip which is unacceptable and I'm using a fairly decent GPU. If I can't find out if this can be remedied, the software will be unsuitable for my needs.

Great stuff...! was gonna buy this one eventually!

Thank you for the link...!

Been looking to possibly getting the Ultimate version myself. Will have to wait a few weeks to do it, but it'll give me a chance to check this version out. For what it offers, $299 for Ultimate is a steal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    So far the program seems pretty good. Very fast editing workflow, feels snappy, and makes use of the GPU so there's next to no lag when throwing a bunch of video clips together and layering them and such. I agree express's available effects are lacking, but can't complain for the price.

One huge snag I ran into is that export times are awful. I'm getting ~6-8 minutes for a 10-20 second clip which is unacceptable and I'm using a fairly decent GPU. If I can't find out if this can be remedied, the software will be unsuitable for my needs.
    yeah seems weird.
    Ell no 'ta enamora' de mi, yo tampoco

Ooh, thanks, downloading now. I always wanted to try it out.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

it might be slow to render as it requires a good GPU...

http://hitfilmtips.wordpress.com/201...-your-hardware
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Great stuff...! was gonna buy this one eventually!

Thank you for the link...!
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post

I tested a 5 min 720p mp4. Seems to be a threading issue using only 50% of my cpu. Its two times slower than vegas on cpu.
    Looking for preference setting for a fix.

I'm using a 650 GTX Ti with 4GB memory for reference. It seems like that should be enough to get the job done though...

Updated my GPU drivers and it helped a little, but export times are still slow compared to what i've worked with in the past, at least now it feels a bit more reasonable.

It is about 2 seconds for every 1 second of footage. So, if I have a 1 hour clip, it'll take at minimum 2 hours to render. More if video clips are layered over eachother. Still, it sure is nice to be able to see full size previews of my work play back smoothly.

However, I did notice that heavy usage of filters, effects, etc have minimal impact on the render times so that is definitely something to consider... as some of the video editors i've used slow down to a crawl when processing these effects.

to be fair, I don't think video editing is Hitfilm's niche; that isn't its primary focus based on what i've read and my initial experience with the program. Visual effects, compositing, etc seem more what its built for, but it just happens to have the features to facilitate a video editing production environment.

In summary, hitfilm ultimate may still get my business after all
    Last edited by Ryan Roye; 01-21-2014 at 07:52 AM.

the great thing about HitFilm is that it's both for effects and editing...

this removes my need to get both After Effects and Premiere.
    (except some great plugins that comes with After Effects > rsmb, neat video)

tracking can be done in Blender, then exported to LightWave, if wanted
    i think Blender improved the accuracy lately... http://www.blendtuts.com/camera_tracking

and at a fraction of the price...
    can't beat that...

i'm sure speed will improve in time
    Last edited by erikals; 01-21-2014 at 11:12 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast