Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Futuristic Engine Lights

Futuristic Engine Lights

Hello everyone,

I am working on a futuristic space ship and am wondering how to make the polygons in the back glow bright blue like in Star Wars. I would also like to make the light pulsate. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It doesn't all have to be done on Lightwave.

after effects then, maybe optical flares and add it there or fusion perhaps.

directly in lightwave, you could turn on glow in the surface panel, and also activate glow in image processing which is also needed for it to work.
    you can also use corona...maybe even bloom if you mask out the other surfaces.

Thatīs all image processing...you could also use lights, and use lensflares if you turn of ring and red outer glow, and control the streaks properly, and use glow behind objects maybe.
    you could also use volumetric lights, even in sprite mode.
    But I reckon most pro seem to go with additional post processing in fusion or after effects.

heres a very old clip I did ...testing lensflares for a tyderium shuttle, could be improved and should have made more glow to the surface maybe, what you see is straight VPR animation, and that means
    the glow behind object donīt work properly unless rendering with lightwave final renderer and not VPR...so because of that VPR limitation and rendering it through that, thereīs an artifact when
    the ship turns and the glow isnīt obscured properly.

pulsing ion boosters well,you might use volumetric light, maybe check some volume light presets, use the textures options, ripples maybe.
    but you can also use special modeled geometry with some transparency and use ripple effect on that, some nice incidence angle gradients and also on luminosity and your
    on your way.

Michael

for volumetric light presets...you might also want to check presetcentral.com
    browse and select categorie...vlight-distant lights free to download after registrating.

Michael

hereīs some settings for using glow in lightwave...check both image processing panel where you control size and intensity, and also check itīs intensity in the surface panel.
    you could go to the color channel ..which in this case has white color, and "t" for textures and add an incidence gradient so it goes from white to bluish if thatīs what you want, I see very often guys who puts in
    mostly a colored glow, like blue, but it also often looks to cartoony, think about it, engines are hot and a lot of energy, so it is more fittin to actually have mostly white, and only slightly faint color tint of bluish or orange maybe..
    so be careful not to overdo it with the color.

Also to note, VPR..as you can see in the screenshot...Canīt handle bloom,corona or glow effects ..yet, so you have to final render it, see smaller image within the screenshot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glow_engines.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	717.0 KB 
ID:	119410

Ship model credit...The free Dante model, by the rocket man-Shrox.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post

Ship model credit...The free Dante model, by the rocket man-Shrox.

Michael
    Oh, pretty!
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    Oh, pretty!
    Well..yes of course, it is your model and your hard work, I just put some glow on it

hereīs another for you, just raised the size of the glow and intensity a little in lightwave glow processing, added background radiosity,ambient occlusion with an lightprobe image map,used background color black in the compositing tab to block out that image map, so the render was the ship and the rest all black around.
    rendered out as tga32 with alpha, throwed it to photoshop and added some desktop image background of some cloud..think it was free, used photoshop channels to load the selection and used layermask reveal selection
    to cut out the black, then further tweak with level correction to darken the sRGB color render, and also the cloud image.
    I forgot to retract the landing parts of the dante, or I should say I collapsed the model for easier handling in some cases

Name:	dante_engine_glow copy_composit.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	230.0 KB 
ID:	119411

Michael

Clearly, you don't get out much. Neither do I but, geez.
    Blown Glass · Carbon Fiber + Imagination

Spherical Magic | We Build Cool Stuff!

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by spherical View Post
    Clearly, you don't get out much. Neither do I but, geez.
    What?...out?...is there life out there
    I donīt have a life, especially not now since itīs quite dark outside, I heard a rumour erikals by accident was allowed to visit the outside world check his happy weekend.

I recall, going to my sister and some family time today, congratulating my niece for taking the drivers license and celebrating that with a cake, some mumbo jumbo talk, then back and doing some shopping for the dinner, doing some dishes, watching some series, and besides that ..I just caught a cold, I still managed to browse the forums and setting the dante up for glow and render, it is dead easy and fast with
    VPR and in the end the fast lightwave native render, and if you already now how to acheive the render from start...it doesnīt take long time.

Michael

Haha well thank you for your troubles! I followed your settings and it doesn't look the same on my end. It doesn't look like it is glowing very intensely and is barely noticeable. If it is easier to do with Adobe After Effects I just downloaded a free trial. I attached a rendered image of the engines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	engines.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	119426  

Try a spotlight tucked inside your afterburner geometry. Use volumetric And different textures to get your effect. Play around with the cone angle nd intensity until you like it. Also you can animate the intensity over time using an envelope to get it to pulsate

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCoins View Post
    Try a spotlight tucked inside your afterburner geometry. Use volumetric And different textures to get your effect. Play around with the cone angle nd intensity until you like it. Also you can animate the intensity over time using an envelope to get it to pulsate
    What do you mean? I've never really played around with volumetric textures and to be honest I don't know what it is haha. I tried tucking in a spotlight into one of the afterburners and it didn't make a big difference. Could you explain this in more detail? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by finn_the_human View Post
    Haha well thank you for your troubles! I followed your settings and it doesn't look the same on my end. It doesn't look like it is glowing very intensely and is barely noticeable. If it is easier to do with Adobe After Effects I just downloaded a free trial. I attached a rendered image of the engines.
    it will not look the same since itīs not the same surface or object or even scaling as my stuff, so if you tried something on a 1 meter engine part, and the ship I had was 20 meters...you canīt properly follow my settings.
    what you could do...download the dante ship and fiddle with that, the model is free and made by shrox, just credit him for it...you might have to search for dante..until shrox putīs it up on his site or on foundation perhaps.
    Thereīs also the actual ship from the prometheus movie on foundation3d to download, it has some errors if you load it ..asking for some shaders, just say no to all.

Quote Originally Posted by finn_the_human View Post
    What do you mean? I've never really played around with volumetric textures and to be honest I don't know what it is haha. I tried tucking in a spotlight into one of the afterburners and it didn't make a big difference. Could you explain this in more detail? Thank you.
    volumetric lights has textures,first in volumetric options.. check that box that says enable textures, then click edit texture and from there you can add procedural texture layers.
    or simply select your light and press F8 ...that will bring up presets, you only have four presets in the workspace, so use the drop down list and select distant lights where you can find some cooler
    volumetric lights with textures.
    donīt look at the rendered image in this screenshot, it has nothing to do with it, i was just fiddling with bloom and image map, but look at the presets, and thereīs more at preset central.

Name:	volume light presets.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	611.5 KB 
ID:	119430

Ok I just saw the render you posted so that gives me more of n idea what you're going for. the volumetric light trick works better When you Actually want to see some type of exhaust. I feel like one of your frustrations is not seeing the light behave as it should. Its more than a glow effect can do, but the light from the engines would be bouncing around illuminating Little nooks and crannies. For what you have going try this.. give your geometry a luminous surface, it doesn't have o be overly bright and blown out.. Start with something like 40%. Turn every light in the scene off including all ambient light. Go to your render globals and give the seen some radiosity under the global illumination tab. Render. See how your model looks using only the engine surface as light. One Important note. Global illumination will use your backdrop to light as well so set that to black or something. The better your overall model the better your lighting will make it look.

I will still give ya rundown of some volumetric tips. As far as I can anyway. you might not use it here but for future it is good stuff to know. Prometheus showed some cool settings too. Something to play with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast