Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Another good thing in LightWave that some may overlook is that all entry fields that require numeric input are able to accept math operations. So if you didn't know the exact value you wanted but knew you wanted to double something in size, you could just enter (existing value) *2 and will give you computed result.

..... but be careful in the case of rotation. You have to get rid of the degree sign first (if a value already exists in the field), then math works.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    ...And watch out if it's nodal, you might be dealing in Radians not degrees.

But dead cool none the less, and it's been in LW since at least V3.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

-f"Arial@9" where 9 is the font size
    adding this to your lw icon shortcut affects the gui fonts in the app. Since they added this in lw 11, I could use lightwave more comfortably on a 14 inch laptop screen.

Exporting UV map in Modeler as EPS (Encapsulated PostScript).
    Last edited by MarcusM; 12-17-2013 at 06:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    Exporting UV map in Modeler as EPS (Encapsulated PostScript).
    Just remember this doesnt work for UV's that have subpatch interpolation. It only works with Linear (which is default interpolation). Below is a a cube I subpatched and what happens when you use the different interpolation modes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UV interpolation.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	118742
    My Lscript Collection | LinkedIn
    3D Generalist IGT

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xchrisx View Post
    Just remember this doesnt work for UV's that have subpatch interpolation. It only works with Linear (which is default interpolation). Below is a a cube I subpatched and what happens when you use the different interpolation modes:

Name:	UV interpolation.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	118742
    Good point Chris.

What I sometimes do is freeze my sub-d model, then export my UV map as an EPS... but then don't save my LWO!

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Similar to Surrealist's tip, in Modeler, if you just have single ploys to move around/rotate etc, set Falloff Type to Polygon and you won't need to select anything!

This last tip just reminded me of a way to drag polygon islands around without having to select anything. Let's say you have a chess board with a bunch of pieces and you want to move them around. Normally you'd select one polygon, then select connected, or use the laso to surround the geometry then move it, deselect it, and so on. If you use Snap Drag tool and set it to "Connected points" you can move the pieces around without having to select any of them. Just click drag on any point and the whole piece follows.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    This last tip just reminded me of a way to drag polygon islands around without having to select anything. Let's say you have a chess board with a bunch of pieces and you want to move them around. Normally you'd select one polygon, then select connected, or use the laso to surround the geometry then move it, deselect it, and so on. If you use Snap Drag tool and set it to "Connected points" you can move the pieces around without having to select any of them. Just click drag on any point and the whole piece follows.
    Nice.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by xchrisx View Post
    Hierarchy mode lets you parent more like the scene editor rather than the pull down method that the list option provides. Here is an example:
    Attachment 118728

edit: Forgot to put, this is in Modeler's Layer Window
    Nice tip!

After all these years never discovered that feature.

Surely this demonstrates VERY poor UI design when you'd go and hide such a useful feature behind a small bland white triangle. What makes it even worse is that this triangle is placed above, and is the same width as, the panel's scroll bar! This means that when you quickly glance at the layers panel, the white triangle can be very easily mistaken for one of the jog icons you'd find above/below standard scroll bars (even though it's inverted vertically).

I'm now wondering how many other useful features remain to be discovered that are lurking behind similar white triangles in other LW panels!

Edit: BTW, I'm not referring to the hide/unhide white triangles, as they usually stand out from the crowd and their functionality is fairly obvious.
    Last edited by inkpen3d; 12-18-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    iemedia solutions:
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel
    Scavengers SciFi novel:
    Amazon UK
    Amazon USA

Festina Lente
    I'm all for remapping Layout's default hotkeys that do something serious when pressing only a single key.

For example, by default, Record Bone Rest Rotation is mapped to the 'r' key. The first time I accidentally hit the r, I learned a lesson the hard way. Adding a modifier key to the r prevents that accidental key press.

Also, when the Image Viewer is active, Page Up and Page Down move between F9 renders, but if you accidentally press either of them when one of Layout's other windows are active, the timeline starts playing. This may not be a problem if you notice it, but if you've got windows open all over the place, and then start clicking on things, you'll find a major slowdown underway. You may wonder why until you see that little gadget moving along the timeline.

In Modeler, it's the other way around. I map the single key presses to things I do all the time, like drag, size, knife, smooth shift, and spin quad pairs. But don't change the default hot keys until you're comfortable with Modeler's functions or you'll get lost when trying to follow a tutorial.

there is a book called 1001 lw tips and tricks,
    it's pretty good
    has a cd with it
    larry shultz has some tutorials on it too among others.
    it also includes some breakdown shots from cafe fx, and zoic's bsg

they cover alot

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMarchant View Post
    This should really be a sticky thread. Any Admins around
    Your wish is my command!
    UI Designer @ NewTek

Here's a tip for working with Surfaces.

Want to transfer all surfaces from one object to another?

Right click on the source *object* name in the Surface Editor and choose "Save Library". Then right click on the target object's name and choose "Load Library". Any surfaces with the same name will get the newly loaded surfaces.

"Load Library by Name" will do the same as "Load Library" but also *adds* any unassigned surface names to the target object's list. This option only makes sense in Modeler, where you want access to another object's surfaces in the "Assign Surface" panel, saves having to copy and paste polys with the surface you wanted.

Name:	Surface Library.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	120182

Oh, and to open / close those object surface lists, you can double-click, no need to hunt and peck for the arrow.
    UI Designer @ NewTek

Modelling Tip:

Want to create edge loops faster than anything on earth?

1) Select a few polys going in the direction you want

2) Press the right arrow key to select the loop

3) Press the 'L' key (Connect tool) - adds an edge loop

4) Keep pressing 'L' for more edge loops

Boom! Done!

Name:	Connect Tool.png 
Views:	449 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	120183
    UI Designer @ NewTek

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast