Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enders game-How was it?

was 'meh'... it's a bootcamp movie set in space...honestly really disappointing.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Did they soft-sell the whole "genocide with a get out of jail free card" aspect?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Top Dog
    I recently read both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, as did my kids. I liked it; it's about what I expected. My kids didn't like the movie as much — they thought it cut too much out.

A lot of the characters were miscast, including Harrison Ford and the kid who played Bonzo. Ender himself was much too old (but a good actor).

They didn't soft-sell the genocide aspect, but for some reason, they didn't use the term "Bugger" ever.

I had a good time with it. The story flows nicely, the FX are well done and it raises some interesting moral issues.

i liked it, i wasn't like Wow!... but i liked it... :]
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by wesleycorgi View Post
    They didn't soft-sell the genocide aspect, but for some reason, they didn't use the term "Bugger" ever.
    Not exactly a surprise. IMO, it didn't even work in the book (try saying it out loud), and of course the hilarity in UK theaters would have been intense.

For the king of "words that don't work", read Larry Niven: all his neologisms suck.

I thought they did what they could with it. The ridiculously shortened timescale was necessary for various reasons, not least of which is not being able to spend six years making the film so Asa Butterfield grows up at the same time as Ender did in the books. Also glad they didn't include Demosthenes and Locke, which would look too dated today, let alone in the footcha. That being said, if you haven't read the book, the fact that so much stuff is skipped makes the film seem disjointed as it jumps from set-piece to set-piece with little explanation. I'd still give it a 3/5 for a good attempt.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Also glad they didn't include Demosthenes and Locke, which would look too dated today, let alone in the footcha. That being said, if you haven't read the book, the fact that so much stuff is skipped makes the film seem disjointed as it jumps from set-piece to set-piece with little explanation.
    Removing those characters is what bothered my kids most, because they were intrigued by their manipulations and at their age. I think it was right to remove from the movie, but the storyline continues to be intriguing to me because of the influence of social media in our society today. Enders was written 25-30 years ago?

1985. Interesting to note although L&D's communication methods seem outdated, he was on the money with the tablets the students have. L&D do make for an interesting aside, particularly given their ages as you say, but don't really add to the story overly. I guess if there is a sequel made then we'll see more of Peter and Valentine.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I read the SERIALIZED version in Analog-- the inflated novel was ok, for an inflation, but I'm pretty sure the original serialization did not have Locke & Demosthenes.

It's pretty easy for an author to have characters of ANY age spout dialog that seems precocious, cuz they are figments, or more pithily in this case, sock-puppets. I never bought the family dynamic in EG.

It was just OK, but I thought the ending was disappointing. Friend that went with me liked the ending.

I don't -totally- agree with the boot-camp in space feeling. It was partly that yes. But I saw it more as the character of Ender learning the strategy to survive and use the other characters in that goal. There was a scene where he was asked to explain a complex maneuver to decelerate around a planet. While all the other kids were trying to show they were smarter than everyone else in the class Ender said 'I think characters x and y have a better understanding' which is what a good commander does. Removes his ego from the equation. Ender learned how to motivate the team that he selected in whatever ways they needed. He even learned to use their weaknesses as assets. He also learned that horrible lesson about acceptable losses but still winning in the end.

When I look at it as a character growth story instead of a war-action story I found I enjoyed it on another level.

The ending was disappointing. It was too sudden and didn't fit with any common use of assets by the military. But I think they also knew there would never be a sequel.
    -Light is an optical illusion-
    CPU:2x E5-2687W (2x 8 cores + HT = 32 threads @ 3.2GHz) MOBO:ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS RAM:64gb HD:Revo 3 x2, 240 OCZ SSD, 4TB WD BLACK

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    1985. Interesting to note although L&D's communication methods seem outdated, he was on the money with the tablets the students have. L&D do make for an interesting aside, particularly given their ages as you say, but don't really add to the story overly. I guess if there is a sequel made then we'll see more of Peter and Valentine.

B
    From what I've read from the author, Card had the Speaker for the Dead idea before Enders Game. At a later date he decided to make Ender the Speaker. So to give birth to the Speaker, he had to write/rewrite Enders Game into novel form. Based on Jeric's comment that L&D were not in the original, it makes a little more sense to me --- because that plot line does seem forced. But without that wrinkle, there wouldn't be the dozen or so of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow sequels.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Note I said "pretty sure", so maybe they're in there.

I always felt the L&D thing was a ridiculously transparent didactic technique. The whole "Peter can get away with ANYthing" seems a little ridiculous, given that Ender is the g.d. expected saviour of mankind.

The older I get, the less I like the book, and I'm certainly soured on OSC as a human being.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast