Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32

Thread: Klicking at cameras to preview them

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Boras
    Posts
    31

    Klicking at cameras to preview them

    Hi,

    Would really see the oppertunity (with on/off switch) to take cameras to preview by klicking on them with the mouse.
    Itīs hard sometimes to react quick enough to go live, but if I had it visually by just klicking on the camera I would take to preview it would be easier.

    This functionality could actually be on screen 2.

  2. #2
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,161
    Just as background, we had functionality like that for years, but few ever used it, especially when they have a CS. In the end it was eliminated in favor of double-clicking monitor viewports to open the settings panel for the associated source.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    275
    Isn't it funny how 'enhancements' are often setbacks for other users... Like not being able to move the preview/program divider horizontally, as you could in previous versions...

    That's why it'd be great to include all these little bits of functionality as a 'choice' in the preferences... Then you end up pleasing a lot more people...

    Best,

    Ben

  4. #4
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    That's why it'd be great to include all these little bits of functionality as a 'choice' in the preferences... Then you end up pleasing a lot more people...
    You'd think so, but there is a lot of convincing UI design theory that runs counter to trying to be all things to all people...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    275
    Hmmm... Go by convincing UI design theory? Or ask the customers....

    Best,

    Ben

  6. #6
    Convincing UI design.
    Darwinian theory, of sorts.

  7. #7
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    Hmmm... Go by convincing UI design theory? Or ask the customers....
    They aren't mutually exclusive. Go too far in either direction, you encounter problems. Believe me, we frequently have discussions that go far deeper than anything you're going to encounter here about these seemingly lesser items - and sometimes, we have them again and again.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    275
    I agree that these items are just 'seemingly' lesser. For many of us, these are daily issues.

    Maybe go with the convincing UI theory for the big stuff, and listen to the customers for the seemingly lesser stuff... and err on the side of 'choice'... I don't think you're going to go wrong offering more choice to customers....especially with this highly technical bunch.

    B.

  9. #9
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    For many of us, these are daily issues.
    Certainly small issues that happen a lot can be very annoying, and constitute a design issue. However, one might easily contend that this isn't one of those times.

    Why? The function was removed quite some time ago and to the best of my knowledge almost no-one even noticed. In fact, I think this is the first time it has come up in the forums. By contrast, many immediately loved the functionality that supplanted it, and would be very reluctant to let it go. (Btw, Ben - you previously mentioned the monitor splitter matter in another thread: not to hijack this one, but I don't think I've seen a Fogbugz case on it yet. That would not be a preferences issue, it's just straightforward and unconflicted missing functionality.)

    'Power' versus 'complexity' is a never-ending concern. Many volumes have been written on this topic by experts, but I'll not quote them here. Even so, there is probably no single thing that consumes nearly as much of our time and attention. At the end of the day, though, there comes a point where making every little detail a user preference becomes a spaghetti monster, and TriCaster becomes daunting, unreliable and difficult to both comprehend and support. Someone has to make those calls, and they will inevitably leave some number of users wishing an exception had been made for their pet preference. Comes with the territory ...
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    275
    I disagree. You can always have a 'beginner' mode if you don't want to expose the complexity to users who don't want it. Check out VLC, a wildly successful media player that does just that.

    I also wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that because you haven't heard something here, in this relatively small group of users, that it isn't an issue.... and by your own words, posting something here doesn't mean it'll get looked at by someone in a position to make a change anyways...

    Regarding the monitor splitter... In this post: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....t=#post1348691 you basically dismissed my argument, and by your argument, since there's not been a bunch of people complaining, it's not really an important issue.

    Steve... You do a great job here, and I realize you have to be an apologist of sorts, but Peder's argument is not invalid because few have mentioned it, and nor is mine.

    BTW: I have no clue what a Fogbugz is. Is that opening a CS case? Because I've had very mixed response from that in the past...

    Anyways... forgive me if I don't reply to your next post. I will allow you to have the last word.

    B.

  11. #11
    FogzBugs is for reporting bugs, it can also be used for feature requests. This information get to the people that need to see it (and believe me they do).

    More info can be found here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....Reporting-Bugs

    I will tell you, give a clear explanation of WHAT you want. Also, explain WHY you want it.

    As for my $.02. (And not to add fuel to the fire)

    It didn't bother me that the clicking on the monitors to select sources went away. I never liked that workflow, but that's just me.

    I did like the ability to move the bar left/right. I've not entered a FogzBugs case on it (I guess it didn't bother me that much), but if you think it should be back, tell us. That not a guarantee that it will be added back in, but you never know.

    As for a basic/expert user selection. I really don't want to see TriCaster turn into that. Then you have features/commands that are hidden to some users and not others. I think the development team has done an amazing job on having everything available to you without having TriCaster run in this fashion. I'm sure we can all find something here and there that we would like different, but nothing at this point has convinced me that we need to start making the system run in different 'complexly' modes.
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    275
    Well, so much for the customer is always right...

    B.

  13. #13
    NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Posts
    4,213
    Funny how both the things mentioned from Peder and Ben are both things I noticed recently. I never would of noticed the two things except they are both things I use fairly regularly. I just haven't been running a TriCaster personally for a while until recently. I also forgot to submit my observance to Fogbugz.

    I go either way on the double click monitors selection. I for one have used the send to PGM double click action when I needed to get an input to air quickly. I found the new action frustrating when it didn't do what I expected but then after stepping back I like the double click for settings action too. I guess it wouldn't matter if double click for settings was there to start with, since the double click send to PGM was there first, I miss it.

    How about a compromise... Double click with the left button for Input Selection and Double click with the right button for settings. Actually come to think of it, right click isn't used in that area at all I believe. So a single right click.... Or you could use a combination for settings like Rt, Lft, Lft, Rt, and throw in a Middle mouse click for good measure.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

    Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    275
    No compromise necessary... Make it a preferences and let the user choose. Everyone is happy...

    Sometimes the simplest answer is the best!

    B.

  15. #15
    'the write stuff' SBowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The stars at night are big and bright
    Posts
    19,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    Check out VLC, a wildly successful media player that does just that.
    If I suggest turning TriCaster into VLC, I'll be looking for work by the weekend.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    I also wouldn't make the mistake of assuming that because you haven't heard something here, in this relatively small group of users, that it isn't an issue....
    Agreed - but also don't assume that's the sole sample. I've been here for a long time, used and sold the earlier, much more complex products, and probably meet and converse with about as many end users, and the resellers and support staff they deal with, as anyone either here or at NewTek ... certainly far more than most operators do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    In this post: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....t=#post1348691 you basically dismissed my argument, and by your argument, since there's not been a bunch of people complaining, it's not really an important issue.
    Actually, after considering your second post, I thought you made a pretty good point on something that had escaped my notice. (If I didn't suggest posting it to Fogbugz at the time, it's only because I've been a teensy bit busy.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    ... I realize you have to be an apologist of sorts ....
    Actually, though someone with a different view will occasionally make that claim, it's not true. I not only don't have to be an apologist, NewTek wouldn't thank me for presuming to be one if I tried. If I honestly feel someone has a great point, and have time, I will openly say so ... disagree, same deal. I participate here now, as I did for many years before coming to work for NewTek, as a member - complete with my own honestly held views, which I occasionally express. I don't expect everyone to agree with my views all of the time, just as anyone else here would not be shocked if someone differs with theirs from time to time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Freedman View Post
    BTW: I have no clue what a Fogbugz is. Is that opening a CS case?
    No. I see Kane discussed this while I was typing, but you'll find a link to a post describing the use Fogbugz at the top of the Troubleshooting sub-forum. It has an option for marking a case as a feature request, too - but I'd post your monitor splitter thoughts as a bug if it were me.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •