Thread: Video Feedback - can it be done in LW?

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar

Cool Video Feedback - can it be done in LW?

I was looking at the old Dr Who titles, the very early ones that used a sort of rippling video feedback.

I've been told that this sort of thing only works with CRT's, which might explain why the direct approach of pointing my webcam at my monitor was a waste of time, (quite apart from the difficulties of recording it).

But has anyone worked out a way of getting cool feedback effects within Lightwave? I don't mean reproducing Dr Who style exactly, but my gut feeling is that it should be possible to use the CCTV to get something cool, even though I can't think of how to get a delay in there...

Anyone got any ideas?

Nick
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Vacant, pretty vacant pinkmouse's Avatar
    You might be able to modify the technique used in Dana's video here.
    Al
    "I conceive of nothing, in religion, science or philosophy, that is more than the proper thing to wear, for a while." Charles Fort

My Website
    My Lightwave Tutorials

hard to tell exactly wich one of the titles, but I think Ill get the point, think that would be to use ripple procedural distortions perhaps over some other fractals.
    either on geometry or use hv sprites on nulls or use volumetric lights in sprite mode for fast render.

have to check in to it if I get the chance, ...first try, cleared scene, added volumetric light, set to texture only, hit viper...crash, dang...Ivé been getting a lot of these lately on lw 11.6

The Dpoint radial procedural give somewhat that basic radial stripes you get went pointing an old cam against the tv set, but further distortion procedurals would be needed for
    cool effects, there´s also some deformers from dpont that might work nicely.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by starbase1 View Post
    I was looking at the old Dr Who titles, the very early ones that used a sort of rippling video feedback.

I've been told that this sort of thing only works with CRT's, which might explain why the direct approach of pointing my webcam at my monitor was a waste of time, (quite apart from the difficulties of recording it).

But has anyone worked out a way of getting cool feedback effects within Lightwave? I don't mean reproducing Dr Who style exactly, but my gut feeling is that it should be possible to use the CCTV to get something cool, even though I can't think of how to get a delay in there...

Anyone got any ideas?

Nick
    That's Cool! It's not quite feedback but has a lot of possibilities - thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    hard to tell exactly wich one of the titles, but I think Ill get the point, think that would be to use ripple procedural distortions perhaps over some other fractals.
    either on geometry or use hv sprites on nulls or use volumetric lights in sprite mode for fast render.

have to check in to it if I get the chance, ...first try, cleared scene, added volumetric light, set to texture only, hit viper...crash, dang...Ivé been getting a lot of these lately on lw 11.6

The Dpoint radial procedural give somewhat that basic radial stripes you get went pointing an old cam against the tv set, but further distortion procedurals would be needed for
    cool effects, there´s also some deformers from dpont that might work nicely.

Michael
    Take a look here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1AnTi1X2QM

About 25 seconds in is the sort of thing I mean, pointing a camera at a monitor to give weird rippling video feedback

Use the cctv shader in the shader tab.