Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nevron and Mac and Motion Capture......

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by webhead View Post
    I emailed Newtek just before I purchased Nevronmotion at it's pre-release discount price, and asked them if the Mac version of Nevronmotion would eventually support the Kinect camera like the Windows version. I was told they were working on a solution for it, and that I could more or less help them beta test it when such a version is released. I really hope that I was given correct information. I still have the email.
    That's interesting — most of the information, at least publicly, has been: "Kinect does not work on Mac - therefore, Nevron Mocap doesn't work on Mac." I think the LW3D Group has been pretty consistent in communicating this. I hope you're right though!

Well, that's what I was told. I wouldn't have even bought the software if I was told they had no plans to get the motion capture feature working on the Mac version. If I'm the only person who was led to believe that this is the case, than that is a real problem for me. I have absolutely no use for half a piece of software. I need to get the definitive answer on this as soon as possible.
    Last edited by webhead; 12-03-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Can you run it under virtualisation (Parallels or VMware)? As opposed to Boot Camp? That would be a temp solution, though admittedly not a terribly elegant one!
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Whoops! There they go--Carmine sensors are no longer available from Primesense. I hesitate to guess why the devices have gone away but obviously it has to do with the sale of the company to Apple. Rats! I knew I should have bought one when I first heard about this. I really wanted to get the 'near' model for 3D scanning.

I imagine the sensor will reappear one day as an Apple branded product and it wouldn't surprise me if Windows support is dropped. Oh well--could mean good news for Mac users of Nevron Motion though.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by dsol View Post
    Can you run it under virtualisation (Parallels or VMware)? As opposed to Boot Camp? That would be a temp solution, though admittedly not a terribly elegant one!
    Yes, you can but the fps rate of the capture may not be as good.

On my laptop (late 2010 Mac Book Pro, 8 GB ram, 512 GB SSD), Parallels 9 + Windows 8.1 (32bit) runs at 21 to 24 fps rate from the Kinect for Windows.

I suppose on a faster Mac or on BootCamp it would run closer to the 30 fps the Kinect is rated at.

OTOH, for many purposes 21 to 24 fps will be enough to capture gross body motion.

The facial mocap I've tried has been slightly clumsy, but I haven't tried the tricks used by tndStudios in their video here:

http://youtu.be/wbnRGz-yWWo

Or the node editing that Lino Grandi uses in the official Lightwave video on facial mocap.

Using those tricks, I hope to improve the accuracy of the Nevron Motion facial mobcap running under Parallels!

Here's some screen shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz001.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	502.9 KB 
ID:	121338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz002.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	528.0 KB 
ID:	121339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz003.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	527.3 KB 
ID:	121340Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz004.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	121341
    Last edited by fuzzytop; 04-09-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Lightwave 2015 & 2019 (Mac & Win)
    High Sierra & Windows 10 (Bootcamp)
    Mac Pro 2009
    32 GB ram
    2 NVIDIA Quadro K5000s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12