Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand Animation Schools and Industry???

Someone sent me this, this morning

Following on from the All Blacks loss things are so depressing in New Zealand that even the price of lamb has dropped.

Its now $10/hr.

Brain dead, but here...
    SG,

Yeah I was looking throught the 4 DVD edition of the Two Towers over the weekend, and yes, it looks mighty nice down there. I've been lucky enough to obtain US clients because of the Canadian exchange rate, I end up making more money by charging less. So if I do move to NZ then I can possibly make even more (for less).

Somehow that just doesn't sound right.

Arlen
    Cheers!
    Arlen
    ----------------------------------
    Fabmedia Studios
    print, interactive, & motion media design

My Blog

Brain dead, but here...
    crikey!!!

Mind you it's rugby, cricket and sheep down there.

Arlen
    Cheers!
    Arlen
    ----------------------------------
    Fabmedia Studios
    print, interactive, & motion media design

My Blog

Kevman3D Wrote:

"lol! And we know how THAT game went, don't we. "

Yes, Yes we do.... ;(

Luckily my plan from the start was clear:
    Win, Lose or Draw..................... We Drink!

Well they hadn't won anything since 1966......
    So i guess they were due.... Besides in the same weekend
    our Rugby League team beat Great Britain, and won the series
    3-nil. But yes we are ashamed, i mean imagine England actually beating us in anything, Oh the shame......

Ya know they would not of won, if i didn't open my big fat mouth!

(Mental Note to self: Don't open large mouth until all chickens have hatched... )

It's a shame ya can't make it to the AEAF, Kev...
    Gotta say that the $544 entry price sucks,
    It's costing me around $1500.00 and i'm already here... Eek!
    But at least i'll be able to beat up Jonny and steal the latest Beta of LW8.....

Airfares aren't bad between our places at the moment, I will return to Middle earth, early in the new year, to do some bungy jumping... Can't wait..... Cheers!

It's a shame ya can't make it to the AEAF, Kev...
    Gotta say that the $544 entry price sucks,
    It's costing me around $1500.00 and i'm already here... Eek!
    Yeh, its a little sad (even though my wife would love to go to Aus for a few days as a short 'holiday') - Its funny, cause in the end its usually me who demos the latest LW in NZ here at LWUG's, but that's usually AFTER I have paid for the upgrade and waited the 2-3 months to receive it! (not joking)

I get away with it cause well, most people can't afford the upgrade, or don't want to spend money!

Would be nice to actually see L[8] 'in the flesh' as it were, but that's a mighty expensive 'demo' (its more then the upgrade costs!)

Yep i hear what your saying.......
    It can be hard to get LW to the masses around these parts...

New Magic are a great distributor, and there are other resellers
    like Sigma which are great, but it usually take me and a few of the other die hards to get anything LW shown over here...

This is Max and Maya country........ (so badly)

We have a whole bunch of large studio's in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane... And none of them use LW (or advertise that they do) The AEAF was looking like a Maya roadshow, until Proton
    and Jonny got us into the main event, (and not just in the tradeshow area)

Most Ozwavers are freelancers, (and most are now learning Maya anyway) Bah Humbug! But the group that we do have are some of the most talented and generally nicest people in the business.
    The LW community in general is bloody special.....

Is it true that the NZ LW distributor is also the Maya Distributor?

Is it true

Originally posted by Freak
    Likewise. I always get at least ONE student in my class that tells me their 'industry friend uses M*** and says that LW isn't even used professionally, and what a waste of time it is to learn it'

However, it only takes a few clips of Voyager, RoughNecks, Max Steel, the Foundation Showreel, etc to show them what a load of rubbish that comment was.

Besides, I work at a LW oriented Animation studio - And well, if that means I'm not a 'professional' using LightWave?

Is it true
    lol! Yes, its VERY much true... DVT (Digital Video Technologies) which I believe is an Oz company anyway (www.dvt.co.nz)

Isn't that sad. You can bet what software they'd prefer you to order...

Likewise. I always get at least ONE student in my class that tells me their 'industry friend uses M*** and says that LW isn't even used professionally, and what a waste of time it is to learn it'

However, it only takes a few clips of Voyager, RoughNecks, Max Steel, the Foundation Showreel, etc to show them what a load of rubbish that comment was.

Besides, I work at a LW oriented Animation studio - And well, if that means I'm not a 'professional' using LightWave?

Is it true
    lol! Yes, its VERY much true... DVT (Digital Video Technologies) which I believe is an Oz company anyway (www.dvt.co.nz)

Kevman Wrote:

Yeah the reason i ask is, Weta initially contacted NM in Oz for licences of LW for a movie (you may of heard of it) Lord of the rings or something... it was called....

But NM are not authorized to sell outside Oz, so they reffered it back to DVT, who obviously make more profit from a Maya seat than that of LW..... (stupid mistake making them the same distributor)

My own opinion is, Maya is better suited to Large studio's who want to throw a team of programmers at it, a more flexible SDK makes it easier to do whatever they need it to. So for LOTR Maya was a better choice...

But i do sometimes think of what may of been, if DVT did not sell Maya....

Your LW user groups meetings, would be quite bit larger methinks!

Cheers!

Yeah the reason i ask is, Weta initially contacted NM in Oz for licences of LW for a movie (you may of heard of it) Lord of the rings or something... it was called....
    lol! Are you sure on that? That sounds suspiciously more like a big rumour then an actual true story...

Though not saying it wouldn't be possible of course to do a lot of that stuff with LW - We've all seen some pretty impressive stuff done with our fave app!

Your LW user groups meetings, would be quite bit larger methinks!
    Actually its not that small anyway - It fluctuates - From 5 to around 35 depending on when and what is happening. Usual attendance (once a month) seems to float around the 10 person mark...

When Larry Shultz came over a year or two ago (or is it 3?), we had a whopping 37 (biggest LWUG attendance I've ever seen). The recent LW World tour I managed to also sign up around 30 people from all over the country... Not just LWUIG people, but others I'd never met before!

When I started the LWUG over 5 years ago, I fought hard to get 2 people! It was hard, but all the hard work and time have paid off in many ways.

Originally posted by kevman3d

When Larry Shultz came over a year or two ago (or is it 3?), we had a whopping 37 (biggest LWUG attendance I've ever seen). The recent LW World tour I managed to also sign up around 30 people from all over the country... Not just LWUIG people, but others I'd never met before!

When I started the LWUG over 5 years ago, I fought hard to get 2 people! It was hard, but all the hard work and time have paid off in many ways.
    It was a very good turnout and in one of the best locations Ive probably ever done a presentation in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12