Thread: Three Kinects! (even 2 would be nice)

Three Kinects! (even 2 would be nice)

Here's an interesting paper by a student at Rochester Institute of Technology for his Master's degree requirements. He implemented a 2 and 3 Kinect capturing system which outputs to bvh.

http://www.cs.rit.edu/~iaw5991/report.pdf

Somewhat related: iPi Mocap Studio 2.0 has supported capturing with three Kinects for a several weeks now. It works pretty well. Basically, you arrange the devices in a triangular configuration, use a light stick to calibrate, then go. According to the devs, it's about the same accuracy as using six PS3 Eye cameras but with a smaller capture space (because the range of Kinect IR is shorter than RGB.)

I've been using the system for some feature film work this past month. So far, along with three PS Move controllers for the hands and head, the system is working out quite nicely. The 'downside' has been that it requires a lot more space, so I need to move some furniture out of the room to use the triple configuration. Fortunately, most common actions can be captured using two Kinects with reasonable accuracy. However, three is very nice for those motions where you absolutely need to avoid occlusion.

G.

Yeah, I just loaded the sample 2 depth sensor .bvh file from their website and retargeted it using Nevron. The motion was really smooth. Better than any of the CM bvh files online.

Would be nice to have dual kinect option, even if it wasn't real time in Nevron. (hint hint) The single live Kinect is limited and the feet of my character tend to slide around a lot, like it's on ice. Same character with the iPi bvh had almost no foot sliding when I retargeted it in Nevron.

LW3DG will implement it once Microsoft supports it in the SDK. though not sure when that will be...

edit: or am i confusing this with the new Kinect vs the old Kinect.... hm, maybe i do...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

The devices described in the paper are the old Xbox Kinects. The ones used by iPi's triple Kinect system can be the old Kinect for Windows or Xbox, PrimeSense Carmine 1.08, or Asus Xtion.

I'm not sure any commercial mocap system is using the new Kinect for Mocap yet.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I'm not sure any commercial mocap system is using the new Kinect for Mocap yet.

G.
    Was in a Windows Store (hey, don't laugh - they have 'em) today and let the nice young man go through his spiel about the X One. When he came up for air he asked if I was interested, his eyes glowing with thoughts of sales when I said yes. But when I started asking him about the new Kinect... if it could be purchased separately... it's range... a few frown lines appeared on his forehead. When I said I'd be interested in it for motion capture, well his eyes glazed over completely.
    I guess the Windows Store doesn't have an equivalent to the genius bar...

haha, fun story, i can just see it...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz