Thread: New from Digital Juice....

New from Digital Juice....

I just picked up this new effects collection from Digital Juice
    http://www.digitaljuice.com/products...s.asp?pid=3430
    Is there a way to use it in SE? The way it operates in Adobe premier is that you chose the blending mode (Add)

Is there something like ADD in SE?

http://www.lucavisualfx.com/visualfx.htm
    I have used Luca FX in SE by using them as an overlay and they work well enough but this new DJ collection does not. I tried it in After Effects using ADD and it works great but I would like to use it directly with SE--can I convert them in AE to something that world work better in SE?

Blog Entries
    Hi Rich

I received an email from Creative Cow (I think) a week or two ago promoting this product, and all the questions you've asked I pondered myself. Unfortunately I can't think of any way to use this product in SE in the way it was originally designed to be used since SE has no blending modes.

But......

I think there may be a workaround that I haven't tried as yet (I don't have the Drag n Drop product) and so I can't say it will definately work.

My theory is that it may be possible to drop the clip into the SE timeline and overlay it over the clip you want to affect, then go into the Control Tree for the DnD clip and adjust the Layer Fading Alpha value, Colour Correction (3 band and/or Selective) and Luma Keying tools to achieve a pseudo blending mode effect.

It may be a bit of work to begin with, but if you get the desired result, you could then save the settings as a preset in the Tool Shed for reuse or as a basis for tweaking to get different pseudo blending modes.

Technically speaking, if this technique works you wouldn't really need DJ's DnD because you could effectively shoot your own plates and apply this technique to them to get the same effect for free.

I might have a go at this and post my findings with a breakdown.

Shabazzy

I had tried the Alpha Fade and that did not work, the only thing that made it somewhat usable was a luma key but it was not too clean

Blog Entries
    Ok. I've been playing around with the settings I mentioned earlier, on clips I shot earlier this year and using the techniques I described, I'm surprised to find that SE is producing some very favourable results in emulating some of the more simpler blending modes.

As soon as I've got a process that I can fully explain, I'll let you know more. But for now it seems to be working.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I've just created a blog post on how to use the DJ DnD clips. This technique should work for any clip that needs to act as an overlay and should prove useful if saved as a ToolShed preset.

To view it click the link below:

TUTORIAL: Pseudo Layer Blending Mode effect when overlaying motion graphics in SpeedEDIT

Or click on the number next the word Blog Entries: as listed under my profile name Shabazzy.

Let me know what you think of this techique.

Shabazzy
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 09-20-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Attempting to fix blog post link

Hi Shabazzy,
    I can't access the blog, I get this message

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Quote Originally Posted by Richvideo View Post
    Hi Shabazzy,
    I can't access the blog, I get this message

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    I found a way around the log in problem- If I click the entries number of your blogs I can access them

Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial, hopefully I will have time this weekend to try it out

I am curious to see your final results, would you be able to post it on Vimeo for us?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richvideo View Post
    Thank you so much for the detailed tutorial, hopefully I will have time this weekend to try it out

I am curious to see your final results, would you be able to post it on Vimeo for us?
    You're very welcome.

I'd love to, but unfortunately I've got SE working on a heavy rendering job at the moment and then I've a few big edits to work on straight after, so I don't see me getting around to showing off my results anytime too soon.

But you'll know soon enough when you try it out on your projects. Just remember to experiment with the controls I mention and don't be afraid of the Colour Correction tools. They're your friend.

Oh, and don't forget the layer fading setting's Alpha control to get the opacity level you want, this can really make a difference on how the project looks.

Enjoy

Shabazzy

No problem I know how that is

I am familiar will all the color controls, but I really only use them for very basic adjustments because I find the controls react slowly on my system when working on HD projects. After Effects is where I would take my footage to if I need to do any heavy color grading, more power and faster feedback than I get in SE
    Last edited by Richvideo; 09-20-2013 at 07:06 PM.

I think that I have found an easier solution to the blending issue. Red Giant has this free plugin for easily creating an Alpha overlay. Using this and a little layer fading seems to work well. I just need to re-save the originals using this and I should be good.
    http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/knoll-unmult-free/