Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Progress

Come to think of it, it was when I was applying SSS to the iris that it was coming out black. It was black no matter what. I think it was because sss wouldn't show through a dielectric cornea (you'll have to forgive my memory, it was a month ago and I tried a lot of different things).

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    You def can have SSS "beneath" a transparent material, but not if the polys are co-incident, then it renders black.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    GI Tutorial On cmiVFX
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Just took a quick look, and it renders SSS through it whether the polys are co-incident or not - and whether it's dielectric or not - so obviously I've altogether forgotten what was making it go black..! Maybe it was to do with some other geometry config. Anyway, it's working satisfactorily as is for now. If I ever need to do a super close-up I'll have to take notes when I hit that particular snag again.

Double sided or not? I don't think that's an issue anymore these days.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Excellent Modeling and amazing character animation - love the life like facial expressions.

As a note, btw, It appears that VPR has a maximum ray bounce of 3, even if you disable draft mode... So that could account for a lot of your issues with SSS and multiple transparent layers (and backs of polygons). I ran a few experiments with it, and it seems to be what caused me a lot of headaches for this and past things... So double check it's rendering incorrectly, before jumping to conclusions, it could just be VPR errors.

Never figured it was as low as 3... but knew there were some limits, otherwise where would we get the lovely speed from?

Definitely worth F9-ing before you go changing anything drastically if it's not working properly...
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Here's a peek at the next thing while we wait for the anim to render. Anyone know how to display images at 1:1 instead of scaling to the browser by the way

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eye Test B 2n.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	119031
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 01-01-2014 at 12:50 AM.

Don't they already do that? Once you click on them you see the image at full scale. That's looking really nice, that point where the hair goes into the skin is always an issue but. Wouldn't know how to solve that easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    Here's a peek at the next thing while we wait for the anim to render. Anyone know how to display images at 1:1 instead of scaling to the browser by the way

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eye Test B 2n.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	425.0 KB 
ID:	119031
    Lookin pretty good....
    One of the most realistic LW renders I've seen...
    If not the most

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    Don't they already do that? Once you click on them you see the image at full scale.
    When I click the image it scales to larger than it should in Firefox. Can't actually get it to display 1:1 (unless you click on it again, but people probably aren't aware you can do that).

Quote Originally Posted by djwaterman View Post
    That's looking really nice, that point where the hair goes into the skin is always an issue but. Wouldn't know how to solve that easily.
    I added a bit of a transparency gradient to ease the insertion points, but for some reason it doesn't have much effect unless the camera's millimeters away. I'll probably have another go at it next round. There's the problem of SSS illuminating when other objects penetrate as well, which isn't helping...

Thanks for the feedback - I wasn't originally intending to get this close to it (or to go full photoreal for that matter), so I'm glad it's holding up to some degree.

(c:
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 01-01-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Ok, I just realised why the eyebrows enter the skin so abruptly; it's because they're using Simple Skin, which was the only way I could eliminate the glow at the root of each hair. I think I might be able to fix it by floating the hairs just off the surface and fading them out with transparency.

Chris, you are one of a kind!

i usually found that i like to add some fake caustics in post, to liven things up a bit...

animated gif >
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exaggerated caustics.gif 
Views:	454 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	119034  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Funny - that's kind of what it looked like before I decided it needed toning down and I re-rendered the iris! Hopefully it will make a reappearance in the animation though after I've tweaked it a bit, although caustics tend not to be very noticeable unless the light is quite bright.

just makes a spark of life, so i exaggerated it at times

an artistic splash...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast