Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Human Progress

Goodbye uncanny valley. Keep pushing the boundaries, Chris. At some point this guy is going to walk out of the screen.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

I'm starting hate Chris Jones...

he makes me feel so small

Amazing work, as usual

Amazing! Curious about the animation

Heheh thanks.

Render time was 4 hours. That's not all down to SSS though; FFX slows it down considerably, and it really crawls over the brows and lashes (which are geometry). I can reduce this quite a bit with negligible degradation, as long as I'm only doing stills...

Here's the Sigma2 part of the network:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sigma2_skin_nodes.jpeg 
Views:	607 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	121839

Absolutely...Stunning!

Soo awesome...though I hope we soon can get improvements on VPR to show exactly the same as what the final render does, with all the skin materials and the rest of SSS shaders/materials.
    Maybe that could have helped you getting to this even faster etc.

Thanks for showing it to us and giving a way some of the workflow.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    I was fiddling around with Sigma2, and found that not only does it behave in a more skin-like fashion than Simple Skin, but it also allows control over reflection blur, doesn't require a closed mesh, and displays none of that unsightly intersection glow. So now I've covered his whole head with it:

The main drawback is that it renders black in VPR. Despite this (and the crippled caustics and frangible FFX), LW has been a bit more cooperative this time around. I also reshaped the head and improved the brows and lashes a bit.
    Holy *&^%!!! Fantastic work Chris.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates - "I Drank What??"

Very kind of you to share your techniques so openly Chris... Much appreciated!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    I was fiddling around with Sigma2, and found that not only does it behave in a more skin-like fashion than Simple Skin, but it also allows control over reflection blur, doesn't require a closed mesh, and displays none of that unsightly intersection glow. So now I've covered his whole head with it:

Attachment 121826

The main drawback is that it renders black in VPR. Despite this (and the crippled caustics and frangible FFX), LW has been a bit more cooperative this time around. I also reshaped the head and improved the brows and lashes a bit.
    The only things that destroy the illusion of realism is the consistent skin color around the eye socket area and lack of definition in the nose. Really nice regardless.

I would be surprised if you don't get flickering when you do a turntable of this. Sigma 2 is one of those prepass nodes. I never got an answer on whether or not they were designed for animation but I could never get them to not flicker (few years back) Perhaps the original sigma would render better.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Yes,as awesome as this render is, the fact the Chris is using Sigma 2 makes me skeptical about the flickering it will show in render.
    At any rate this project is a milestone for Lightwave.
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?there´s plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Yup, digging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Netvudu View Post
    Yes,as awesome as this render is, the fact the Chris is using Sigma 2 makes me skeptical about the flickering it will show in render.
    At any rate this project is a milestone for Lightwave.
    A great focus for the Dev team to work on fine tuning Lightwave's renderer for sigma in animation and VPR. Chris's combination of SSS and spec is the best and fantastic r & d for the software. VPR should be able to render this node and it should be refined to be animateable if there are issues.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

I'd rather they just fix the issues of penetration that skin and simple skin suffer from, as they are much better shaders and already work with VPR. I am surprised Chris got such nice results from Sigma, as it always gives me pretty awful results. He's had to fiddle on with it to get the results he has.

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    A great focus for the Dev team to work on fine tuning Lightwave's renderer for sigma in animation and VPR. Chris's combination of SSS and spec is the best and fantastic r & d for the software. VPR should be able to render this node and it should be refined to be animateable if there are issues.
    I've never seen a progressive renderer be able to render pre-passes but I suppose it's possible in some form. I agree that it would be better to refine what lightwave has already rather than creating 10 different SSS nodes.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

did Chris or anybody else send the bug report for the skin/simple skin shader to devs? Otherwise this will be as useful as barking to the moon...
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?there´s plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

afaik it's not actually a bug... as discussed >
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....n-of-2-Objects
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast