Thread: Genoma

Genoma

i'm new to rigging i see there are a few tutorials of the genoma set up rig but can't seem to find any once you have the rig set up and best tips to animate ?

The process of animating isn't really specific to a rig type. Just pose your character into key poses, create in-between (or let the computer do it for you) and then adjust your timing.

IMHO Genoma rigs have more control objects than necessary so I would suggest to only use the ones you absolutely need in the beginning. It'll be easier to manage and quicker to work.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    IMHO Genoma rigs have more control objects than necessary so I would suggest to only use the ones you absolutely need in the beginning.
    Totally agreed. I think it would be helpful for many starting Lightwave artists if a "simple rig" preset were constructed and made available as part of the Lightwave install. Something that uses the fewest number of bones/controls as possible and giving the user some basic functionality. Plus I'm incredibly biased towards lightweight rigs.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

I agree. I set up the cube tutorial rig and it seemed to work, but in Layout was a bit lost with all the controls. (Lot's of controls and many show up really small.) Tempted to just create a basic rig with skelgons and use IKB to animate it for non-mocap type manual animations. At least Larry's tutorials were really clear and the rigs created were clean and simple (have to hunt down that dvd I have somewhere.)

Here's a plug for Lino's a Rigging Revealed videos. You learn how to build and use a Genoma type rig from scratch--he created Genoma so the resulting rigging controls are very similar. I personally feel every Genoma user should first do some by-hand rigging practice so they understand what's going on.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

yeah, that's a good point....it may help me get a better understanding of Lino's particular flavor of his rigs.

Quote Originally Posted by snsmoore View Post
    I agree. I set up the cube tutorial rig and it seemed to work, but in Layout was a bit lost with all the controls. (Lot's of controls and many show up really small.)
    Controls are represented by the boxes that have the little nub attached to it. This will let you adjust where the controls get generated as well as their size. Just move the little nub to make the box bigger to make the controller larger. For the controls that I don't plan on using, I'll size them down and bury them in the mesh to "hide" them.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Good idea, Nickdigital.

I also picked up Lino's rigging revealed videos, which actually is helping me understand a few more things about rigging (eventhough much of what he teaches isn't necessary with the Genoma rigs) One key thing I somehow missed before was holding the mousebutton (left or right) down and dragging to move the bones/controls. A silly thing to miss, but it's much faster that trying to click the ui controls (arrows or rings around the control or bone). Lino moves his character's bones/controls around exclusively using the mouse, many times with such a life-like feel.

I'm only half way through his series, but I'm already feeling a lot more confident on how to use a Genoma based rig.

-shawn

Quote Originally Posted by snsmoore View Post
    One key thing I somehow missed before was holding the mousebutton (left or right) down and dragging to move the bones/controls. A silly thing to miss, but it's much faster that trying to click the ui controls (arrows or rings around the control or bone). Lino moves his character's bones/controls around exclusively using the mouse, many times with such a life-like feel.
    Not sure I'm following what you're describing. Are you saying he doesn't have to click on an item to select it before moving/rotating? That doesn't seem possible in Layout. Having that would be nice. Messiah works that way.

Or are you talking about click+dragging the actual gizmo handles? I think that's been around for awhile.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

No the item has to be clicked to get focus, then you can click drag with the right or left mouse button. A useful thing since you can adjust 2 channels at once. Somehow I overlooked it and was just adjusting the indivual handles which is a lot slower and requires more precision in where you click.

I've completed Lino's series and definitely it helped me understand what Genoma was set up to do "behind the scenes." Next up is to start experimenting with animation using the Genoma produced rig.

I finally did a tutorial on: "Lightwave to MotionBuilder and Back again "
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eju1edD7k0A

I hope it helps some of you
    Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6Ghz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 ti
    Too many SSD's and Monitors
    32Gb DDR3

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post
    Here's a plug for Lino's a Rigging Revealed videos. You learn how to build and use a Genoma type rig from scratch--he created Genoma so the resulting rigging controls are very similar. I personally feel every Genoma user should first do some by-hand rigging practice so they understand what's going on.
    I would also watch RebelHills foundations of rigging tutorials https://www.youtube.com/user/RHLW/videos its one thing to rig something, but RH goes into explaining how the bones deform as well as the rotational system is calculated in Lightwave. I would also like to plug Chazriker's IK Booster video http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/02/the...-by-ryan-roye/ these have been tremendously valuable to me in learning the system and how it is all put together. Coupled with Lino's video and you have a ton of information that will keep you busy.

Ok, I have to append my earlier statement to include this video link which is something that I think should be a sticky thread as well as something that everyone interested in Genoma should watch first. http://youtu.be/nZ9oP_pFhS8

I hope this helps a few people... I have a new tutorial up: Lightwave to MotionBuilder & Back Again 2 - Multiple Characters!

http://3ative.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02...onbuilder.html
    Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7-4770K @ 4.6Ghz
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 ti
    Too many SSD's and Monitors
    32Gb DDR3