Thread: make difference endomorph

make difference endomorph

Originally when i was envisioning uses i would have for chronosculpt one of them i thought about the possibility of making corrective morphs to be used in Lightwave but from first appearences that doesnt seem to be possible with chronosculpt. to test i took a simple arm model and created a quick .mdd file of the arm bending with a bone. then i took the .mdd and arm model into CS and with the arm bent i sculpted a nice fold in the arm and corrected the deformation. i saved that out as an endomorph at that frame. back in layout i bent the arm and applied the endomorph but as i feared would happen the endomorph not only applied the deformation i sculpted in CS but also took into account the bent arm from the .mdd file so in effect the arm bent twice with the endomorph applie which of course looked very bad and not the effect i was after.

what im wondering is there a way that we could make CS see the changes to the .mdd file in the way of sculpting only as the endomorph? maybe have a snapshot we could take of the mesh at a certain frame and then only the changes we make after the snapshot applied to an endomorph? Hope thats clear.

of course maybe the problem might be these changes to the .mdd file are happening in world space and maybe its not possible to add this to a mesh that is residing at a different point in world space such as the same mesh being deformed by a bone and not just the .mdd file?

As we know, there is no quick and easy way to do this kind of a corrective morph, seeing as there aren't adequate modeling tools within layout.

To summarize the problem: To create the simplest of corrective morphs we would need a way to have the arm bend (with bones) and then sculpt on top of that bent pose. Which we can do with point cache now. But what needs to happen then is that the arm would need to rotate back out to its neutral position without destroying your sculpt. THEN the sculpt could be saved as an accurate corrective morph.

The only thing I can think of is to have a way to save your sculpt clip, (the edits we make) separately from the original mdd. I would think that it would be a natural workflow to be able to delete the original .mdd clip and still retain the sculpt clip that is created in a separate clip. Unfortunately if you delete or move the original mdd clip, the morph clip you create becomes inactive.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Figured something out for this problem.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....98#post1346698
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Hmmm.... speaking from TOTAL ignorance here, but: is there a way to ENVELOPE CS sculpts over time? They're being applied to the point cache, right? If you can sculpt a given frame, and then fade/merge over a series of frames proportionately, something like a progressively more distorted wrinkle can occur.

IOW (since I said that so badly): frame 30: 0%.... frame 60: 50%.... frame 90: 100% ???
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    Hmmm.... speaking from TOTAL ignorance here, but: is there a way to ENVELOPE CS sculpts over time? They're being applied to the point cache, right? If you can sculpt a given frame, and then fade/merge over a series of frames proportionately, something like a progressively more distorted wrinkle can occur.

IOW (since I said that so badly): frame 30: 0%.... frame 60: 50%.... frame 90: 100% ???
    Yes, you can fade the morph clips in and out within Chronosculpt. But the idea in this thread is to export out a single frame to be used as a corrective/difference morph target. You can then control the amount of morphing in your other package.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I thought the whole point of CS was to allow editing of point caches in the way you describe.

Or is it that you want a generic/universal solution, rather than a sequence-specific solution?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    I thought the whole point of CS was to allow editing of point caches in the way you describe.

Or is it that you want a generic/universal solution, rather than a sequence-specific solution?
    ok I think I see what you are getting at. Yes, if you want, you can just copy and paste a morph at any point in time within CS. That's similar to just cranking on/off the Layout-endomorph sliders at any time to fix your joint deforms.

The other way is to automate the morph through set driven key expressions in your skeletal IKFK animation package.

So it's all a matter of preference and a matter of how much time you have for character setup.