Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to change a rig in 45 scene files?

Not sure its complex since there's no retargetting involved only reassigning of some items in the hierarchy from the fbx into a lws scene that has a similar rig. Some fbx files add extra info or junk or rename some items that when you MOME the fbx into a scene, the rig inside lw doesn't get it.
    From your screenshot it looks like we can fix some hierarchy issues and load an animation from an external file hopefully not just lws but also fbx.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    From your screenshot it looks like we can fix some hierarchy issues and load an animation from an external file hopefully not just lws but also fbx.
    You can load FBX in Layout just by opening a FBX file. Then save as LWS for further cleanup and solving other issues.

As soon as you add the RigManager plug-in on top of the hierarchy it will be able to save all animated channels in that hierarchy.
    Then make a copy of that scene and remove all animations except at frame 0. This is now the "rig file".
    Then change placement of bones etc so that they will fit in the new body.
    Then make a new LWS scene file, make a null, attach RigManager, use the "rig file" with the modified bones, change the RM-directory so it point to the saved animated channels.

Note that Iīve changed the RM interface: Attachment 116515
    and added an option for "Update Animation": retarget frame 0

Press (Update Animation) "now" with this option enabled. I could calculate the difference in xyz/hpb/XYZ at frame 0 during this "Update Animation" phase and add that difference to every single key in each envelope of the .mot file (.mot only ---> this is only useful for keyframes).

Then you could insert nulls between bones to be able to add extra layers of non-destructive animation.

Guess itīs a poor manīs retargetting tool because it would be a lot more work at this stage of development to build an additional interface to link items with non-matching names.

Iīm sure I can add a solution like this.
    But would this be enough?
    Last edited by vncnt; 08-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vncnt View Post
    You can load FBX in Layout just by opening a FBX file. Then save as LWS for further cleanup and solving other issues.
    Actually this is the issue that would be nice to avoid. Every fbx file, every character will need manual loading, cleaning, renaming of item, save as lws before another lws can just MOME from it. A 5-10 sec task in other packages takes a minute or two in lw which also fbx creates these temp lws files to MOME from. Should be just load fbx motions into a rig and if ever theres an item to item list to reassign some items from the fbx rig to match the lws rig like motionbuilder, animeeple, etc.

Sounds like a lot of work. Why donīt you write a script for this?

If only I could
    Maybe newtek can improve the direct MOME of fbx files by adding an option to auto match hierarchy or manual dropdown lists to match hierarchy. Right now its simply loading it into the scene.

Status report.

The latest version of RM is able to save .env files too. This time using the same naming convention as .mot files with an additional part.

Format Motion filename:
    (SelectionIndex%)ItemName($BoneParentObjectName)(@ ParentName)(#[email protected](@ChildN ame2(@ChildName3(@ChildName4)))).mot

Format Envelope filename (MORPH example):
    (SelectionIndex%)ItemName(%MORPH(%ChannelName))($B oneParentObjectName)(@ParentName)(#NumberOfChildIt [email protected](@ChildName2(@ChildName3(@ChildName4 )))).env

Format MasterChannel filename:
    MC#MasterChannelName.env

... and in reality it looks like this: Attachment 116583

Still working on the .env loading part.

As I was working on the auto-update and auto-save events, for "handsfree control" of RM, I've implemented a marker for the RigManager object in Schematic View. I know, these functions have nothing in common but sometimes you just follow the breadcrumbs.

Attachment 116582 (note the yellow circle)

Maybe I can also implement a descent Schematic organizer routine to make the Schematic View a lot more useful for complicated rigs that have not been organized so well.
    Last edited by vncnt; 08-24-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Well, not descent but decent of course ...
    ... too long in the airliner industry.

Status report.

The latest version of RM is able to save .env files too. This time using the same naming convention as .mot files with an additional part.

Format Motion filename:
    (SelectionIndex%)ItemName($BoneParentObjectName)(@ ParentName)(#[email protected](@ChildN ame2(@ChildName3(@ChildName4)))).mot

Format Envelope filename (MORPH example):
    (SelectionIndex%)ItemName(%MORPH(%ChannelName))($B oneParentObjectName)(@ParentName)(#NumberOfChildIt [email protected](@ChildName2(@ChildName3(@ChildName4 )))).env

Format MasterChannel filename:
    MC#MasterChannelName.env

... and in reality it looks like this: Attachment 116583

Still working on the .env loading part.

As I was working on the auto-update and auto-save events, for "handsfree control" of RM, I've implemented a marker for the RigManager object in Schematic View. I know, these functions have nothing in common but sometimes you just follow the breadcrumbs.

Attachment 116582 (note the yellow circle)

Maybe I can also implement a descent Schematic organizer routine to make the Schematic View a lot more useful for complicated rigs that have not been organized so well.

Is your RM freely available? Sorry if I missed a post. ..

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jburford View Post
    Is your RM freely available? Sorry if I missed a post. ..

Cheers
    Actually I'm still thinking about that.

If I ask money then nobody will buy and use it.
    If I don't ask money then I have spent 3 weeks (24 hours per day minus sleeping/eating/drinking/travelling) behind my screens for free.

I think I prefer the license scheme as in Unity: individuals may have the limited edition for free, companies and serious users will have to buy.

BTW here is the latest version: Attachment 116638

Steps ClearHierarchy, LoadHierarchy, LoadAnimation (.mot), SaveAnimation (.mot/.env) are implemented. For Keyframes, Morphs and Master Channels.
    Implemented earlier: scanning of ExternalRigFile for relevant Null objects, and selecting the Rig Hierarchy Parent from the list, and updating the Rig Manager Folder. The status of all GUI elements are saving correctly to LWS and loading correctly from LWS.

Still working on OrganizeSchematic, Ignore Items/Lights, LoadAnimation of .env files and the options per step:
    - StrongMatch is currently the only method for LoadHierarchy
    - Top -> Bottom will be the initial method for OrganizeSchematic
    - I haven't started yet on Re-target during .mov and .env loading
    - UsedChannels is currently the only method for SaveAnimation

These functions need to be implemented before I publish anything.
    The SupportedAnimation "Motion Modifiers", "Motion Controllers", ..., "Image Filter" have less priority.

Also found a few LW issues:
    - It seems to be impossible to distinguish between the final save at program shutdown and a regular LWS save.
    - LoadFromScene() seems to have issues when loading these items (from my LWS testscene) with the same name ("Null (1)", "Null (2)", ...) into a scene with a single item that has the same name ("Null"). Still trying to determine the exact limitation.

The OrganizeSchematic is for fun. That function is at 50%.
    Last edited by vncnt; 08-27-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Also found a few LW issues:
    - It seems to be impossible to distinguish between the final save at program shutdown and a regular LWS save.
    See also http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....30#post1341830

- LoadFromScene() seems to have issues when loading these items (from my LWS testscene) with the same name ("Null (1)", "Null (2)", ...) into a scene with a single item that has the same name ("Null"). Still trying to determine the exact limitation.
    See also http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....rashing-Layout

The OrganizeSchematic is for fun. That function is at 50%.
    60%

Ha finally! A working algorithm.
    Of course it needs some speed optimizations and refinements for more compact results.
    And a progressbar. It took a few minutes on a single core.

Full rig: Attachment 116727

Detail: Attachment 116728

speed optimizations and refinements for more compact results
    90%

Ok, after MANY hours, "Organize Schematic" is now 98% correct in "Compact" mode.
    And quite fast, about 3 seconds for this character object and there is still room for small improvements.
    For some reason there is still some overlap now and then but as you can see here: Attachment 116892
    the larger hierarchy blocks that do overlap are quite good looking and easy to move by hand while the rest of the hierarchy is organized automatically.
    The "No compact" mode is still available but generates much wider results.

I also repaired the saving of .mot files in case of object layers (they contain ":" in their name so those .mot and .env files didn't save correctly).

While researching the Channel hierarchy for Morphs it was easy to also support envelopes of MotionModifiers, MotionController, Dissolve, ObjectLevel, PolygonSize and ShadowOffset. At least the parameters that can be enveloped via the Properties panel.
    Not shure why Edges didn't work the same way.

The other animation channels are currently not needed for my goal so I'd better focus on the remaining issues: loading of .env files (and into channels) and retargetting during loading of .mot and .env files.

I also noticed that modifications on the RigManager interface can not be used directly when using the "Now" buttons.
    Therefore I shall move the "Supported Animation" buttons and the listboxes to the right of the "Now" buttons to an additional "Options" button so you don't have to close the interface to activate modifications. I think I'd like to keep these settings, at least in a text format, available in the main dialog.

"Ignore Items" and I believe the options "Strong match" and "Lossy match" have not been implemented too. Just like the "Used channels" for .env files.
    Also, the "Organize Schematic" should be in "Manual" by default.
    Last edited by vncnt; 09-07-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Moved the items that could not be read when pressing "Now" buttons to another Options dialog: Attachment 116984
    Also implemented Ignore Items/Lights.

Still open: Lossy Match, Re-target, loading and matching of envelopes.

Loading of envelopes (outside the standard load/save context) seems to work for Morphs and other Channel Groups.
    Open: Lossy Match, Re-target and maybe a single button to support all ChannelGroups instead of the current buttons.

Seems that the most difficult parts are solved now.

I still need some time to polish a few things but if youīre interested in beta testing, please press the url "e-mail" in the middle of this page http://members.upc.nl/c.koppes1/contact and send me your real name, e-mail address and your LightWave license_id for a personalized copy.
    Last edited by vncnt; 09-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast