Thread: when is motion blur not motion blur? Problem with MB doing nothing.

when is motion blur not motion blur? Problem with MB doing nothing.

I'm encountering a problem with motion blur... it's not working in my current render.
    I have the cam settings to global, motion blur is on with 4 passes, yet when I render the MB is deactivated (says MB N/A in the render window) but it still does the 4 passes.. 4 identical passes resulting in no blur.

Does anyone know what I might have done to stop MB working?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	115313

I have un-installed and re installed lightwave but now even when it states x motion blur passes it will just do x identical passes with no blur. Other scenes seem uneffected, so something I have done to this scene is causing the issue.

Does anyone know what it might be? It was previously working in this scene without any issues. Only things I have done since then was experimenting with corona + special buffers.

Quote Originally Posted by xandercom View Post
    Does anyone know what it might be? It was previously working in this scene without any issues. Only things I have done since then was experimenting with corona + special buffers.
    Might be time to back track and see if you can isolate if these are the issue.

I still have 10.1 on my system and MB worked as expected using the settings in you screen capture for a simple bouncing ball test. LW 11.5 doesn't have a Global check box next to the Motion Blur items in the Camera settings, so not sure what that means.

Good luck. I hate it when ya tap some thing over here and it goes Klunk over there.

I removed 10 and installed 11.5, still experiencing the same problem with my scene file. I am now, however no longer seeing the "MB N/A" in the render window, and instead see the correct info showing the number of passes I have selected.
    This however has not changed the fact that no motion blurring is taking place, instead I now have 4 identical passes of the same frame, no compiling of 4 different passes at slightly different frames is taking place.

Obviously camera settings have been integrated into global in 11.5.
    All other scenes using blur work without issue, I have hundreds of scene files over several years, every file I've thrown at it runs MB correctly.
    It just seems to be something with this file that has changed how blur is handled, causing no camera advancement when running each of the 4 MB passes, and instead just repeats the same identical pass 4 times.
    If I add a 2nd camera and pair it's motion with the first camera and render through the 2nd camera I still have no blur, so I can rule out any camera settings causing the issue.

I've backtracked as much as I can remember, but aside from upping my ray recursion amount the only other changes have been minor movements of scene objects (which is what I was doing when suddenly MB stopped working. One moment was fine, the next stopped. I noticed straight away and simply closed the whole scene and re-opened it from the last save, MB was working in that revision but now isn't.

Very confusing. I'm going to try removing all newtek software and start again. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll go back to Maya :-/

What happens if instead of Using Global, you use the settings inside of the camera panel?
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Have you tried using Shift/F9 to give a real-time MB preview in Open GL?

CC

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    What happens if instead of Using Global, you use the settings inside of the camera panel?
    In Lightwave 10.1 if I uncheck global in the camera panel and set my motion blur accordingly, the render window will say that MB is active but will just render 4 passes exactly the same (well, at least, it renders one pass, then I assume it's rendering another 3 identical passes as the only way to see that there's any activity is by watching the progress bar and keeping an eye on my CPU usage).
    In LW 10.5 there is no global setting in the camera control panel as it's all now integrated into the one window under globals in the camera tab.

Quote Originally Posted by ccclarke View Post
    Have you tried using Shift/F9 to give a real-time MB preview in Open GL?

CC
    I can get MB preview without problems in every view mode except VPR. Wireframes, shading etc all give motion blur in the preview. If I try it in VPR I just get a couple of seconds of high CPU load then the VPR viewport just reloads itself.. without any blur.

I noticed you have aa set to 1... Could this be the problem as I'm sure for mb to work you need higher aa settings.

Btw, If you check my thread below, there's a posting where I used photoreal mb in LW 11.5 with 2 passes and moderate aa without any problems. It's fast and very intuitive. The global switch is odd though - don't recall turning this on and hope someone on the forum can explain it.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1313140
    Last edited by bobakabob; 07-01-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    I noticed you have aa set to 1... Could this be the problem as I'm sure for mb to work you need higher aa settings.

Btw, If you check my thread below, there's a posting where I used photoreal mb in LW 11.5 with 2 passes and moderate aa without any problems. It's fast and very intuitive. The global switch is odd though - don't recall turning this on and hope someone on the forum can explain it.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=1#post1313140
    Thanks. Unfortunately upping the AA settings makes no difference. The render window claims to be rendering 4 passes but they are all the same. I had a brief look at your tutorial and will bookmark it to try when I have resolved this problem.

After scratching my brain with this for the last 48 hours I came to a rather (in hindsight) glaringly obvious solution, so maybe this thread will remain for anyone else who encounters the issue.
    As the motion blur was working without issue in any other scene file, just seemed to be this scene that was having issues.

I opened a new scene, renamed the default camera to "delete cam" and the default light to "delete light".
    I then imported in all objects, cameras, lights, etc from the "faulty" scene into this new scene, then just removed the default "delete cam" and "delete light".

There we have it, problem solved, took all of 5 mins, but was blind to it until downstairs cooking my dinner 15 mins ago.
    New scene confirmed as working correctly and blurring like a charm.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!