Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Does it Again......

Apple Does it Again......

Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave about the latest from Apple

Next Gen Mac Pro.....or Mac-Mini on steroids....

New Mac Pro

No PCI
    No Internal HD Expansion
    AMD Fire Pro is the only option?
    No DVI Ports

Seriously....Whats Apple thinking?

I think the central cooling is a nice idea, but thats where it ends for me.

They're missing the point of the Mac Pro....Expandability. The people who use the beasts dont care about the size as much as the Slots, HD bays, and the option to swap their graphics cards.

Seruously bad mistake which I think will cost Apple quite alot...which is sad because I still prefer it over any Windows based computer.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 16 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Hey - you forgot the "max number of Xeons = 1" 'feature'!! After all, why would anyone want dual CPUs?

Any thank God nVidia isn't inside (or able to be inside). Who would want that unpopular CUDA nonsense anyway? It'll never catch on.

Its Apple, they know whats best for you.

Actually, I think It can handle Dual CPU's, given that it says up to 12 cores...AFAIK there are no 12 core single CPU's.

Even Dual CPU's dont help this abomination....lol
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

Heffalump
    I'm sure there are threads about this already elsewhere. Yup, one quick forum search later :

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....44-New-Mac-Pro
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....ro-on-it-s-way

I don't see much to complain about, but I'm sure the price will be eye watering.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Actually, I think It can handle Dual CPU's, given that it says up to 12 cores...AFAIK there are no 12 core single CPU's.

Even Dual CPU's dont help this abomination....lol
    As far as I know, it's a single package 12 core CPU. Haswell-E, I believe. From what I've seen Haswell-E is planned to go up to 16 cores in a single package.
    Inactive.

Ahh ok. Nice to know there are 12 core cpu's....still doesnt change my opinion...lol
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube

It's a huge waste of money but people will lap it up regardless.
    uh wha?

Hey, if you don't like it, don't buy one
    But the guys from The Foundry did a demo of MARI running on one the day after it was announced, and said it was the fastest they'd seen it running yet! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuAsOyzawNY

The single CPU socket design does indeed suck, but hopefully it'll keep the prices down a bit (the Intel CPU is one component cost that Apple can't do much about compared to their competition) - and the dual GPUs as standard will provide tremendous performance once software is optimised for it. I think it's not entirely surprising that they didn't use Nvidia GPUs - as (just like they did with Flash on iPad) they don't want to see propriety APIs (that are locked to a single vendor) become "standards" - and would much rather push OpenCL.

So the new Mac Pro is a GPU-monster - but more importantly, an OpenCL monster. This also makes sense historically if you look at the SOCs (the A5/A6 chips) in their iOS devices, which have solid, but underwhelming CPU performance, but huge GPU performance. Apple really likes GPUs
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

That's it. My next computer is going to be a PC. I mean, it was going to be anyway, but this eliminates any doubt.

The MARI demo can not be brushed aside without consideration.
    AND, the newest OpenCL versions of AE & Premier etc outperform CUDA in speed AND efficiency.

I know full well the incredible strength and prevalence of adoption of CUDA throughout the industry(ies) right now .... I'm just looking, with an eyebrow raised, at some new numbers.
    Apple is obviously trying to force the issue. The new Pro does little for me now if I want to keep up .... with the present.
    There will need to be some pretty quick (and I mean damn quick .... and that's not the way it usually works, is it) across the board software adoption of OpenCL for this thing to start making viable inroads (in whatever their target market is.... still a little confused on that ).

It strikes me as funny how most people (including myself at times) vilify Apple for their lockdown approach, but don't seem to mind Nvidia's strangle hold.
    I guess it's not so weird... they like (and are already invested in ) the particular juice Nvidia is selling, and, apparently, they don't like.... Apple juice.
    Last edited by JoePoe; 06-27-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    System Specs: A pile of sand, a couple of wires, a real live mouse and a beer.

If Octane and Turbulence are ported to use OpenCL instead of CUDA, then one of principle annoyances with the new MP go away for Mac LW users. It's not out of the bounds of possibility - there are cross-compilers to do so, though performance isn't great and there's still a few holes in the OpenCL spec compared to CUDA (though it does have some advantages too - like integrating really well with OpenGL 4).

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2420
    Dan Sollis : Independent CGI Designer & compositor
    Digital Distortion : Post Production for Film and Television
    http://www.digitaldistortion.net

http://www.londonlightwave.org.uk/

Anyone who wants to go the Apple path, my sympathies to you. I've got a Mac Pro that after Apple's treachery with FCP now only gets used for Logic Pro. I switched totally to Win7 for everything else.

I don't have to deal with all the issues I see running on Macs with Premiere and Lightwave, and the lack of plug-ins for OSX.

I spend a lot of time in the file manager, and Window's Directory Opus runs circles around Path Finder in terms of power and ease of use.

The only thing I miss on Win7 is the excellent ControllerMate from orderedbytes.com - which makes your mouse/HID run on steroids on OSX.

At least now with the new Mac Pro, you won't have to worry about not being able to run the latest video cards that would run in your machine if only you had the drivers ... as it's all locked down. It used to be "yesterday's technology ... today".

Well with retina-level displays you're going to need heavy GPU compute, so it's kinda a given, though it does beg the question, if you're going to put 2 GPU's on one computer, which is a custom design, why not just put them on the same card..

There has been somewhat of a swing away from multi-socket designs of late, so it's kinda within that trend. With multi-cpu's on a single chip, and lots of them, it gets redundant to have more than one, but still it would be nice. Hopefully apple can get OpenCL dragged up to the stage that CUDA is at, because it has been lagging, and not many things actually run on OpenCL.

It's a bold design, but one thing which does raise it's head, is: If you're going to put all of your peripherals externally, then what kind of enclosure will you build? Smells like an opportunity for overpriced enclosures, which look like pedal bins The thundercat expansion port is actually pretty powerful, allowing for video/data and even expansion cards to run on it, it's just like many apple innovations: entirely dependant on 3Rd parties taking them up and using it, just like Display port and Firewire before it, just slightly disappointing, and never went anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I'm sure there are threads about this already elsewhere.
    Stop right now!
    Before I laugh myself to death.

I still have warm feeling for my C64 (somewhere in the basement) but that doesn´t mean you need to buy one to get the job done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast