Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: CNET: Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Depends on the work I guess. There are lots of programs that open PSD files.
    And After Effects files and InDesign files and Illustrator files and Premiere Pro files and... ?

So you chose to ignore my post.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    Adobe will follow AutoDesk... price will rise, again, and again...

i want to own my car, not rent it...
    If you own a car in the city you will pay 20000-30000 yen for parking

50usd a month is quite alright if this is more than a hobby for someone. If a cg artist doesn't make enough to pay 50usd a month they could quit drinking coffee,beer or smoking, or one pricey dinner off a month. Or evaluate their career why they're not able to pay 50usd a month.

Just downloaded all the updates for my CS5 suite whilst they are still available from Adobe. I now have a backup so if I have a hard drive failure I can at least re-install CS5 including all updates. You never know Adobe may drop everything from previous releases forcing people to go with the cloud thing should they have to start again.

I do have a mirror backup of a fresh OS install complete with all my main applications installed and activated but not sure what updates were applied at the time so now have a bit more peace of mind.

Captain Paranoia signing off......

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kosmodave View Post
    Just downloaded all the updates for my CS5 suite whilst they are still available from Adobe. I now have a backup so if I have a hard drive failure I can at least re-install CS5 including all updates. You never know Adobe may drop everything from previous releases forcing people to go with the cloud thing should they have to start again.

I do have a mirror backup of a fresh OS install complete with all my main applications installed and activated but not sure what updates were applied at the time so now have a bit more peace of mind.

Captain Paranoia signing off......

Dave
    Yes, and if I were you I'd avoid future CS6 updates from the Adobe Updater as they may attempt to break it to further force cloud assimilation.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    If you own a car in the city you will pay 20000-30000 yen for parking

50usd a month is quite alright if this is more than a hobby for someone. If a cg artist doesn't make enough to pay 50usd a month they could quit drinking coffee,beer or smoking, or one pricey dinner off a month. Or evaluate their career why they're not able to pay 50usd a month.
    Or evaluate their career if they can't pay an *optional* $700 every 18 months for upgrades. The Suites were excellent value for money and pay for themselves. It's not about the $ it's about the control. And the $50/month is a smokescreen. They can have a piece of me when I choose, not a little bit every month forever. If it works for you great. It doesn't for many of us. Why are those of you in favor of it, unwilling to conceed they should just do both pricing models? What harm is it to you for them to provide both options? Plus, the students/kids who pirated before will find a way to pirate again. Those of us happy to pay full price for a suite are not so lucky being forced into a shotgun wedding like this.

Ok so its not about the 50usd but seems this IS one issue people are bringing up. In a project that could be less than two hours worth of work to recoup.
    Control. Its their software. They have control we don't. Its their business not ours. If they change their business model then its up to us to find an alternative. I think that's logical and fair. Its like anything in life. If you don't own a house, you rent and deal with it or rent somewhere else.
    The money to develop software is not cheap. I know because I'm currently involved with software, check my avatar.
    I even wonder how newtek makes money selling for 695 per license on upgrades. There's not a lot of volume to sell lw license to pay a dev salary per year.

I was actually considering moving to Cloud next year to gain access to software that I don't have with my CS 5.5 Design Premium Suite but now I'm irritated that they are trying to force me to switch. Sure, I can agree there are benefits to using Cloud but keeping my software as standalones has been more about convenience and security to use the software when I need it. I liked having the choice.

Ugh! Adobe just turned a long-time user (since 1986!) who was perfectly happy with their policies and their products into one who is extremely annoyed by their greed. Now it looks like I'll be switching to Cloud much later than I planned, if ever.

G.

Stuff
    Best thing about this is the opportunity for other packages to pick up a piece of the market.
    Corel and Serif come to mind, I'm sure there are others. If they can capitalize on this lame-*** move by Adobe they could win some loyal customers.
    Of course they'd need to step up development to compete with all the features of Adobe's software.
    Andrewstopheles

The only issue I see with it is the possibility of losing your ability to work when you are on a very tight deadline.

The reason why subscriptions work so well, for example, for MMORPG's, is because the player isn't technically responsible for anything (outside of the game) and therefor don't stand at a loss should their internet connection have issues, or the vendor's cloud servers go down for maintenance, or other issues that revolve around an internet-dependent application.

Now apply the same concept to the workplace and now you are suddenly responsible for the stability of Adobe's servers and all of the things that go into it. Your client isn't going to care if their servers go down for maintenance unexpectedly or if your ISP suddenly breaks leaving you having to work with alternative software (assuming you have access to it). Adobe's problems are now suddenly your problem... and I don't like that.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Since there are no further "point" upgrades, it will just be Creative Cloud, updates to the programs in the suite do not have to be regimented to the 9 or 18 month cycle.

For me it's a good deal and since I bought CS 5.5 (from CS 5) with the CS 6 free upgrade, I get a year at $19.99.
    http://doc3d.com

Intel i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 4 core 16 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Intel i7 980x 3.33 GHz 6 core 16GB RAM Dual ATI Radeon 5850 Win 7 64

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I got some Questions:

How does this online verification works? What if I have machine that I want to be off the grid?
    What happens in secure environments? (like say, most Agencies in the DOD)
    I am assuming that Adobe IS NOT data mining my machine or the usage of its apps...right?
    What happens to MY data that upload on the creative cloud if I stop paying?
    I need to know the answers to these questions as well. How is proprietary information protected? I sincerely doubt some companies will want their laundry out where potential competitors (or worse) can get to it. And don't give me the 24,000,000-bit encryption secure eye socket multi-pancake protection; we all know how well that works.

I think from reading here, that there is a lot of misunderstanding of the Adobe Cloud and how it works.

First off, the software does not reside and run "out of the cloud", but on your machine.

Secondly, you are not forced nor required to keep your machine(s) attached to the Internet and the Adobe Servers in order to run your Software.

Your Data, is stored where you want to store it. You are not forced to have your files and data, on their Cloud.

Also, there is a mechanism built in, that in case your subscription is ending, but you have not re-connected to the Adobe Servers to reverify or update your subscription, Your Software WILL NOT magically stop working. . . The Software goes into a Culance Period (30 Days) and will continue to run, until this is used up.

Beyond that, No Luck, it will not run.

Also, Do not forget there are Positive Effects of the Cloud Service as apposed to purchasing the normal CS Package. For many people like myself who primarily are hobbyist to doing a few paid Projects a year, Trying to pay 3500 Euros or Dollars at once is impossible, or trying to convince my better half to give her blessings to. . . . But trying handle 50 Euros or Dollars a month no problem, every budget can handle that. Even Students and Moms pretty much for that part.

Just my 2 (Euro) Cents

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast