Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: CNET: Adobe kills Creative Suite, goes subscription-only

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    not quite true,

you cannot use your files without having access to "The Cloud"

Getting Totally confused here. . . . .

You install the Software on Your System, verify that you have a subscription against their Servers. Work Up to 6 Months Offline, never being connected to the Network or there Servers...

You Store Your Files Locally, or External Hard Drives and Such.....

And you Say that there is No Access to them???? I understand that if the file is .aec/.aep or such, ok without After Effects, it won't work.

I understand if anyone puts their Files on any Services Cloud as a Storage Unit/Device, and do not have access to that Service then yes. . . . But. . ..
    Last edited by jburford; 05-08-2013 at 03:48 AM.

6 Months Offline is only for the 12 months subscription, where you pay the 12 months in advance.

so yes, no access, unless you keep paying, unless i'm wrong.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

did any1 dig out this MONTH subscription ... i am interested if i am able to pay full year in advance so that i am not forced to be ONLINE all the time and monitor my subscription..... ? i hope it will be more like autodesk/newtek subscription when if i dont pay next year subscription i can still continue to use what i paid for but cannot update unless i pay next subscription..

about ONLINE connection to access and use products...here is answer c/p from adobe page

Inspire: Do Creative Cloud members need to be connected to the Internet to use the products?

Sharma: No. Members need an Internet connection to download the desktop tools to their computer. They do not need to be online to use the products. Of course, an Internet connection is required at times to make sure their software is up-to-date and to verify their membership is active (paid for). And of course, they need to be online to collaborate and ensure the content on their desktop Creative Cloud folder and their online Creative Cloud storage is in sync. But otherwise, customers use our products just like they have in the past. The products run on their computer (not the Internet).
    new web page up www.null.hr

I did not read this whole thread of course.

But here are some links:

http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-...reative-cloud/

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

I never wanted to use an app that forced me into monthly payments. But at the same time I don't think I will be affording at least 3 or 4 major apps in that suite anytime soon. And I could really use them. So for a fraction of the cost of even one of them, it would give me access to all of them. So for me I look at it as just how I will manage my money. I can set aside a few grand to buy one or a few apps as I normally would - money gone never see it again but I have the app permanently. Or I can set aside a fraction of the cost for something like AE and the few other design apps I'd love to have. I consider looking at the purchase on a yearly basis. For the first year I set aside the discount I'd get going from CS5 to the CCS. And I think I figured that'd be around $400 ish. So I set that cash aside, done. I now have all of those apps for a year to work with and increase my ability to also make more money with them. Next year for me it would double. That'd be 800. So now for 2 years use I have spent 1,200. Now I am not in a regular habit of leaving things not ungraded for very long in general. But with all of the apps I own now, that is starting to get to be a very expensive proposition. So I have been careful. So to use any 3 of those apps for 2 years I figure that it at least 600 in upgrades if I only upgraded once. The same price of my entire purchase for not only those 3 apps but the access to another 3 or 4 I'd like to have to work with if I were to upgrade each year. Assume it doubles again the next year. Now it is 2,400. A total of 3,600. That would actually suck. But that's 3 years and spread across at least 6 apps that I never have had to upgrade and also wait for updates. That is a very good deal when you look at the numbers.

Just my personal thoughts on it looking at my financial situation.

Another angle is in truth, not all people actually are in a situation where they can buy these apps outright. (especially an entire suite like this) Many people buy software on credit. Once you do that you are in debt. In this case, the only obligation is for a year. And you can set the money aside in savings, and have that money earning interest for you rather than paying interest to a credit card company. And if you are in a bind by the next year, then cancel your account until you can set aside money for another year and then start again. Just try negotiating that kind of a deal with a credit card company and see how fast you damage your credit.

Then you'd have to think what do you do if you need those apps in the mean time. Of course a downside, but then again, if not for this deal, I would not have had them to begin with.

For me there is really no chance that if they had the option for outright purchases, I'd actually do that on many of these apps. I am just not in a position to do that. And I don't believe in credit cards. So this, to me is, is a very viable option.

I am not saying this is going to be considered ideal for other people. I am just looking at it from my point of view. I think it is very tempting and I am considering it.

I think that is all you can do. And then if it does not work out for Adobe, it will be something they'll have to reconsider. I think they will loose people for sure. But at the same time a lot of people will sign up who would not have purchased otherwise.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 05-08-2013 at 04:05 AM.

not quite true,

you cannot use your files without having access to "The Cloud"

From Adobe FAQ Cloud Services

Can I send files to people who don't have a Creative Cloud membership? Will they be able to view or share the file?

Yes, files created by the Creative Cloud apps can be shared like any other file. For example, you can share files through email, FTP, and so on.

In addition, Creative Cloud sharing features let you share files with people who aren't members of Creative Cloud by allowing them to view the files in a browser. Viewers can turn layers on and off, view relevant metadata, comment, and even download files for editing.

File Access after Subscription

What happens if I decide to stop my membership?

You will continue to have access to free Creative Cloud member benefits, and if you saved your work to your computer you will continue to have access to those files. You will no longer have access to the Creative Cloud desktop applications or most of the services that are components of a Creative Cloud membership.

sure, there is no doubt there are nice sides to this too, but why can't i have the choice?

would it be that hard, for a huge company like Adobe? > no! (as discussed elsewhere)

----------------------
    @jburford

yes, i know, and i don't like it. (as explained earlier)

----------------------

anyway, maybe it's a good thing, maybe things will change somewhat.
    more competition etc...
    Last edited by erikals; 05-08-2013 at 04:10 AM.

You Do have a choice erikals.

1. Accept it
    2. Purchase Individual Adobe Products and have full control
    3. Find alternatives and use them
    4. Go Fishing

NewTek had this Aura thing, what happened to it? Is it the TVpaint app now?

I'm almost on the one-year mark of having the Creative Cloud subscription. For the most part it's worked as advertised. Sometimes their online activation protocol doesn't work correctly. It killed InDesign once and I needed to uninstall/re-install it because it wouldn't recognize my active subscription. At the end of the day not a HUGE issue, but I shouldn't be forced to possibly miss a deadline because Adobe can't figure out that I've paid for the product.

Recently, every month when I launch an Adobe application I have to re-sign in (mind you I don't sign out) because when billing cycle happens it's like it kicks me out and I have to tell it, no, I've paid, look again. Again, not a huge deal but it's an annoyance.

I'm not in a position where I could shell out for a full suite license so this was my only option. For Adobe to say that I prefer the Creative Cloud would be like me saying I prefer to pay versus get it for free. I COULD pirate the software, I choose not to. Asking people was price a major factor and then stating people overwhelming prefer it is half the picture.

This stuck out to me as the most important data of the CNET survey.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adobe-survey-tools-importance.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	114186

51% of people don't find Adobe tools becoming more (or even less) important in the design process. To me, that would say people can take or leave my products. If Adobe's not careful they'll find themselves in the same situation that Quark was in when InDesign finally got up to speed. It used to be unheard of to use anything other than XPress for pre-press. Now, I hardly hear of ANYONE using it. I know they do, it's just not like it used to be.

I use After Effects more than any other package in the suite. The one thing that seems weird to me is renting AE but buying plug-ins for it. I haven't reconciled that in my brain yet.

1. Accept it
    1. Nope

2. Purchase Individual Adobe Products and have full control
    2. No way to do that other than to get it used, but yes, i might...

3. Find alternatives and use them
    3. In time, in time...

4. Go Fishing
    4. Sounds nice :]

...I shouldn't be forced to possibly miss a deadline because Adobe can't figure out that I've paid for the product...
    a small minus... (!)
    Last edited by erikals; 05-08-2013 at 06:06 AM.

I love fish :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    I use After Effects more than any other package in the suite. The one thing that seems weird to me is renting AE but buying plug-ins for it. I haven't reconciled that in my brain yet.
    If you let your subscription lapse, would you need to re-buy the plug-ins, or can you get you old subscription going again so the plug-ins keep working?
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

the more advanced free gimpshop supports 16/32 bit >
    http://www.gimpshop.com

Yeah Right! Downloaded (GimpShop 2.8.x, Gimp 2.8) thought I had misses some new revolution of theirs.... and yes, it states 16/32Bit Support.

But again in trying to import 16 Bit Tifs. . .. The Great Following Message Appears.... so again useless in my eyes. Come on people step up to World above 8 Bit for standard Formats.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GimpShop_Msg_16BitTIF.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	323.6 KB 
ID:	114187

Well all of this is being hyped up beyond reality. In reality, right now, you do have a choice:

http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6.html?promoid=JOLIS

We're reinventing our desktop apps to make your creative process seamless, intuitive, and more connected than ever. Our newest release — including Photoshop® CC and Illustrator® CC — is coming soon, and will be available only in Adobe® Creative Cloud™. If you join Creative Cloud now, you'll have access to the new CC applications the moment they are available.

While Adobe Creative Suite® 6 products will continue to be available for purchase, Adobe has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products.
    So you can go all out, if you think you want to purchase and keep CS6 products. It - according to this FAQ - will continue to be an option.

From there, if you are trying to sort out what to do, you can go here and look at the prices as well as add to cart to purchase:

https://www.adobe.com/products/catal....html?start=10

You can also still upgrade from from PS CS5 for $399 USD now too. ( or any other products etc.)

And then consider what you get with the cloud. Not just all of the apps, but some useful services too:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...-services.html

Then the point about a choice would only be relevant in a year when you would be looking to upgrade. Assuming you are ready to purchase now or at any point in the near future (1 or 2 years I would guess) and pay more money for the freedom to own. There are plenty of good reasons to do that. It is up to the individual.

And so you also have plenty of time to make other choices about what to do in the future. Adobe is going in a new direction, they have given us plenty of warning about it and are offering people the choice to stock up at current cs6 prices and opt out in the future. It is a bold move on their part as many people will not agree. All you have to do is vote with your feet and/or contact them directly with your opinion.

I think what happened is people followed other links and assumed it was not an option as it took them to the Cloud pages.

To find it from the site go to Products/Cs6 and then click on "Buy cs6" right hand side. Currently anyway, the site will likely change config after a while.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 05-08-2013 at 07:08 AM.

jburford,
    might wanna check Photoline then, as it loads and saves multi-layer EXR files... pretty cool...

(it looks nice, though haven't used it...)

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast