Apple Motion - $50
    Final Cut Pro - $300
    Apple Shake 4.1 - $300
    (dicontinued, buy it at Amazon)

nice thing is that many revisionfx plugins are compatible,
    http://revisionfx.com/products/#product_support_matrix

but it's hard to replace AE.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/aftere.../features.html

Hmmnn, the Price I am coming up with for Nuke is quite a bit more than That! Showing $4155 (+ 20% on top of that for EU Users), then 1st Year Free Maintenance, then $1155 Every Year for Life! Source The Foundry Website, Order Nuke.

Lightworks Pro the $60 is also per Year, continuing, but not certain how they restrict. I tried it about 12 Months back or so, and was not for me.

Avid - No Thanks, They are just as bad as Autodesk, and still hold a grudge on them for Killing the Liquid Silver, Liquid Chrome Products.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    So you chose to ignore my post.
    Huh? You were picking ONE format out of how many in the Adobe suites. And not all of the features of PSD files apparently are supported in other programs as others in other forums have discussed. What about the other formats I mentioned above? I'm sure some of them CAN be opened in other programs. But can they be used as they would be in the native program? That was the point. If you don't have the native Adobe program to use, then you're SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    Ok here is the copiled list so far.
    Any experiences with these programs guys?

After Effects:
    • Hitfilm
    http://hitfilm.com/
    • Fusion
    http://www.eyeonline.com/
    • Nuke
    http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/
    • Blender
    http://www.blender.org/education-he...ls/compositing/

http://www.darktable.org/
    You may add apple motion on this list. It is mac only (as are final cut and pixelmator), and certainly not as complete as AE, but it's worth its price (35 euros).
    I haven't tried Hitfilm, but I used its ancestor by FX Home which was FXLab. It was simple to use, despite a UI that was sometimes surprising (changing the position of a particle emitter could be a PITA). The UI on Hitfilm seems to be more refined, looking at the screenshots. But whatever FX Lab did, Motion does much better, easier and quicker.

On a more general note, it seems, on the French adobe website that Lightroom is not included in the creative cloud and can still be purchased separately. I wanted to offer this to my wife who wants to go back to photography. But it there is a subscription, for me, it's a big no-no.

Interestingly, Oddly . . .

Just Received an Email from The Toolfarm (see below)

************ from Email ****************
    Introducing Creative Cloud for Teams.

One affordable, simple-to-manage membership gives each person access to every Adobe Creative Suite application, as well as additional tools - like Adobe Muse, Acrobat, Lightroom, and Adobe Edge Tools and Services- all with no-cost upgrades as they become available.

Price Drop Announcement -
    Was - $49 Per Month ($599 Year)
    NOW - $39 Per Month ($479 Year)

Adobe Creative Cloud for teams makes it easy to purchase and manage your creative software, so you can simply reassign seats as the team changes. License management and billing are complete centralized.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    I love using Sony Vegas Pro. It's always been more flexible than Premiere and I have no desire to go back to that editor. The catch with Vegas is that they seem to release a new upgrade every year, charging about $150 to $200 each time. I keep buying the upgrades though--the new features have not been trivial. AFAIK, there is no penalty for skipping an upgrade.

My primary interest in Adobe Cloud is to gain access to AE, which doesn't come with the CS Design Premium Suite. My main compositing program has been Fusion for 12 years now and I see no reason to change this, but I also used AE a long time ago and I still feel it's better suited for motion graphics and certain types of animated effects work than Fusion is. That said, I cringe at the thought of going back to nesting layers in AE.

G.
    Same here - almost. We are still on Vegas Pro 9 and probably won't be upgrading until 13 comes out. But it is a GREAT program and very easy to use. I've tried Premiere and while it IS powerful, IMO it's not as easy as Vegas.

I also agree about AE - we use Fusion for compositing but AE is great to create the motion graphics side of things. Simple. We'll probably upgrade to CS6 and that may be the end of Adobe. Of course if you can still get boxed versions of individual programs, that MAY keep us onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinland View Post

My objection to having to pay a fee more than once to use software still stands, however.
    Can agree with you on that. . . But, you are not even paying for it (fully) until you at least reach the 6 Year Period. Now with the Mail I received for Teams, more like 7 Years.

To me would only be fair to say, ok when a customer/user ops out of the Cloud Subscription, then he can keep installed and use (forever), the Version of CS that he Opted In on.

I bought CS5 at student price and got a sweet deal on commercial CS6 upgrade. My impression of the price points probably differs some.
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Did you guys miss my post about Xara as an Illustrator alternative, or did the Windows only part disqualify it?
    “There may be people that have more talent than you, but there’s no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” ~ Derek Jeter

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    I was excited to see a new alternative (darktable) listed here but I learned quickly that there is no windows version. Just a few days ago I found out about RawTherapee @ http://rawtherapee.com.
    I can't tell how it measures against Lightroom and Darktable as I started working with raw files only very recently, but it seems to be a decent alternative.
    I Downloaded this based off of your Post, and it Looks beautiful!

Sadly, though in playing with the first picture, Enabling Tone Mapping, adjusting a bit in Minus, then adjusting Edge Stopping fully to positive then fully negative, and CRASH. Down it goes. Tried some other pics, and it was ok, then Crash again.

Tried opening some specific Image Folders some were fine, the other attempts to open some other Folders Crashed.

All in all, Fully crashing to it's knees and KO 5-6 Times in around 4-5 Minutes. (and do not think have had any crashes to be honest in the past year or so.)

But not giving up, will still keep working with and checking it out, as it looks Sweet.

Did you guys miss my post about Xara as an Illustrator alternative, or did the Windows only part disqualify it?

Being Windows only makes it all the better! (in my eyes) Sorry guys. . . could not help it.

Hey, question Spinland, how does Xara compare to Inkscape? Different Creatures?

I confess I only ever used Inkscape for making some SVG mapping icons at my old day job so my experience with it is limited. Xara was made to be what CorelDraw could have been and that's a closer comparison IMO. Xara (again IMO) simply rocks and even though I'm decent with Photoshop I frequently fire up my Windows virtual machine when I have a graphic to create. I like it that much.

iMac Pro
    "iCan" Mac Pro
    MacBook Pro
    Multiple Mac Minis

I'm running Lightworks on Linux and loving it. Also a fan of Inkscape and Gimp.

For a freehand painting style program I'm trying Krita, and liking it so far.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

From what I understand, it can also be a Photoshop alternative as well. Isn't it capable of using PS plugins?

Right now I use Xara Webdesigner Pro - I'm not into html or any coding so creating websites is fast and easy. I actually ENJOY using it.

While I saw it coming for a while, I wasn't expecting it so soon.
    That's really bad, I enjoy some of the Adobe products but this kind of license is not for me.

Crap.

Thanks for the alternatives, Darktable looks good and I hadn't heard about it before - if only it were for Windows.
    Otherwise it's mostly Photoshop and AfterEffects I'd miss.
    I'll check out Xara - heard good things about it before.

Maybe this will finally get some alternatives going.

Cheers,

Tom

Fast Company: Adobe: 5 Reasons We Killed The Creative Suite

Internet isn’t happy that Adobe is discontinuing its Creative Suite. So we gave Adobe the chance to respond to the worst criticism.

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1672530/...source=twitter
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast