Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PhysX fluid simulation!

Daniel Kaiser

"A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and never acceptable." Robert Fripp

AMD Phenom II x6 3.2
    Win 7 Pro x64
    8gig Ram
    Nvidia 640 GT 2Gb
    LW 11 x64

Quote Originally Posted by danielkaiser View Post
    Hah! You beat me to it. I just came here to post it. I'll post the video in below though so people can have a look at it quickly before reading further.

So, I know little about programming... but........ Isn't it possible to bring the PhysX calculations and effects into 3D software such as Lightwave? Bring it in and bake it, from the perspective of incorporating this into the Lightwaves program architecture. Is there some limitation brought about by incompatable data or something? It seems such a pity if so.

A PDF about it from PhysX below...

Position Based Fluids PDF
    Last edited by Kaptive; 04-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.

Oh, and one other video of it...

WOw!

OK, anyone who marveled at DNT back in the 90s answer honestly: back then did you really expect to see this level of fluid sim -in real time- in your lifetime?

Gotta admit, nice stuff, and sims like this in less years than I'd imagined!! Only thing about the sims to date is that most materials will tend to retain a little fluid, maybe even just droplets clinging to them. Soaking action? This really needs to be figured out too!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Gotta admit, nice stuff, and sims like this in less years than I'd imagined!! Only thing about the sims to date is that most materials will tend to retain a little fluid, maybe even just droplets clinging to them. Soaking action? This really needs to be figured out too!!
    lol... never satisfied :P

Looks very useful, put it in LW so we can play!

Personally I think itīs a pretty poor simulation. I understand itīs real time, but the amount of detail there is very low. That would never pass for water in any film. Maybe in a game it would be acceptable...
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?thereīs plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Quote Originally Posted by Netvudu View Post
    Personally I think itīs a pretty poor simulation. I understand itīs real time, but the amount of detail there is very low. That would never pass for water in any film. Maybe in a game it would be acceptable...
    I never seen a game with that kind of water simulation. For a Hollywood blockbuster maybe it's not detailed enough but for an animated short or cartoon it's ok, I think. They also state how many particles they use in each simulation so you could asume that you can increase the number of particles but then ofcourse it will affect the fps and stop being realtime. If you compare this to anything we have in LW today I think its really good.

If LW could only half of that.
    I'm in love.

Quote Originally Posted by Netvudu View Post
    Wow, you're tough. Personally, I can think of dozens of films/commercials where I could have used this in the past and the director and producer would have been absolutely thrilled to get it. A program like RealFlow can make them nervous because it can take a day or two to get a sim calculated, and sometimes a few days is all you get. Besides, just because these demos are presented in realtime doesn't meant you can't allow it spend more time to achieve higher quality sims--I would rather spend minutes or even a few hours getting a good sim than waiting a day or two for results.

G.

Any programmers out there know if PhysX data can be accessed and potentially utilised within Lightwave? Anyone from Newtek care to comment?

As said above, it might not be realflow, but I think it would be more than capable for application in a large number of productions. Fluids are one area that could give Lightwave a real edge. If it were possible to utilise PhysX for this (with an Nvidia card of course)... there would be no need to reinvent the wheel.

Isn't Steve Hurley using PhysX in his beta dynamic engine for Lightwave?
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast