Thread: TriCaster 40 – Routing internal audio via an external mixer

TriCaster 40 – Routing internal audio via an external mixer

Hi! Just thought i'd point your attention to a post i made regarding using the TriCaster 40 with an external mixer and how to route the audio. Enjoy!

http://joedemax.com/?p=42

Joe de Max

Good write-up. And good going deciphering the mix-minus workflow for 40. This used to be the only way to do this on the sdsystems . The XD series mostly have Aux to rely on,.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks for the article. Very helpful. If your audio mixer has an aux out bus that's pre fader, can't you connect your studio speakers to the aux out and mute the channel? Then you can use the audio from the DDR in the Tricaster.

Quote Originally Posted by focalpp View Post
    Thanks for the article. Very helpful. If your audio mixer has an aux out bus that's pre fader, can't you connect your studio speakers to the aux out and mute the channel? Then you can use the audio from the DDR in the Tricaster.
    I did play around with various configurations using aux busses on the mixer, however it always resulted in double audio of either the mixer audio or the DDR. The problem with the workflow you suggest is that I actually want to send the TriCasters internal audio to my studio speakers so that the talent can hear the audio from the DDR.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Good job all around Joe
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Ok so I have a similar issue going on here's the scenario:

We are a live feed church where we feed our services from one main campus to our regional locations. We're currently planning a new location and in the process of upgrading to HD so this is our first HD location. Everything has gone well until we got to our audio testing.

Our production setup is a bit like this:

External Sound board which we use to mix the band and teaching pastor voice we then feed that into the TC XLR IN a and b

TC software mixer to make slight adjustments to volume levels then out via XLR OUT a and b to the auditorium amplifiers (simultaneously out through SDI OUT 2 into the encoder to send to other locations)

this set up gives a nice clean sound to our locations HOWEVER it causes a slight delay in the audio in house so it leaves the echo effect.

Now when we re-route the audio so it all goes through the external soundboard (including the TC DDR and Dvd player which also runs through ch.4 on the TC) / looks like this:

Band INTO external board / TC INTO external board (for DDR and DVD player) ---> External board to house amps AND back to TC (to feed the encoder for live feed) this results in great house sound with no echo effect however on the remote locations they get an audio that sounds very "darth vaderish" or "robotic" particularly after switching to a DDR or DVD and back via TC.

man I hope this all makes sense - any suggestions? ideas? confusion? - any help would be great! oh and I've got 5 days to figure this out.... we launch next sunday.... good thing I don't know what sleep feels like anyways.

thanks in advance for any help.

Sound like you may have set yourself up for feedback and/or double-audio. How did you route the TC audio into the external mixer? I think on the 40 you would need to make sure and "solo" and "mute" only the DDR and DVD player inputs. Then hook up the headphone output to the external mixer. Otherwise, you are sending the same audio through the mixer and then doubling it (with a bit of delay) in the TriCaster. Solo will allow you to send only the sources that originate in the TriCaster to your external mixer. Then your full mix comes in from your external board and that would be the only source non-muted and non-soloed inside the TriCaster. It is a little easier on the bigger TriCasters that have an AUX audio feed, but this should work just fine in the scenario you described.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52