Thread: 11.5 Heat Shrink clothing tips? Can't get good results for real work...

11.5 Heat Shrink clothing tips? Can't get good results for real work...

I did watch swampy's video and the couple other demos to no avail. But is anyone having any luck with significant use of Heat Shrink for one of the main reasons for the tool, i.e. clothing? I'm having trouble, with what I think are relatively straightforward meshes that I want to heat shrink, and I'm having no luck getting the results I'm after.

Please take a look at these few images:

http://imgur.com/a/cIoti

They should be self-explanatory. I am attempting to make the clothes more skin-tight, but retain their nice poly-flow and UV mappings. I either get wigged out points, or screwy geometry which messes up UVs.

First one shows the clothing before Heat Shrink to show you what I'm doing. The 2nd & 3rd pics show "normal mode" & "closest point mode". The 4th & 5th compare the uv mapping problems of "closest point mode" screwing up the geometry of the shrunken clothes.

Are there any tips for this sort of thing? It's not like my source meshes include a triceratops and a chiffon evening gown - they're pretty close to begin with. I would have expected that the typical use case for Heat Shrink would include stuff like this (unless I'm using it wrong or expecting too much out of it). Is Heat Shrink a toy and to use it as a one-click solution for this sort of thing too much to ask? thx!

My suggestion would be to make a proxy body then subdivide it a few times so that the point amount is rather high. Then, use the hi-point-proxy as your background object.

From my experiences, you don't have enough background data to approximate the heatshrink you want.

duh i should have thought of that -- thanks!! I've done that before for BG conform but somehow I just assumed Heat Shrink was more magic and acted like a collision object.

Does your clothes object have thickness already? I kind of assumed heat shrink was meant for simple one-polygon thick shells.

yes it did and that may be part of the problem. However subdividing o proxy bg object a great deal gave me much better results as UnCommonGrafx mentioned. However, ideally, I'd like heat shrink to shrink the internal clothes polygons and "bring" the external polys (i.e. external parts of the clothing) inwards the same amount relative to the inwards points -- so that the clothing thickness remains the same - Heat Shrink doesn't seem to work quite like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    inwards the same amount relative to the inwards points -- so that the clothing thickness remains the same - Heat Shrink doesn't seem to work quite like that.
    At the moment HeatShrink is mainly for shells, it doesn't retain thickness yet, but it is something we're thinking about how to support.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.