Thread: Virtual Set Conversion for TCXD300

Virtual Set Conversion for TCXD300

Hello, we purchased a TCXD300 in March 2012, shortly after purchasing it we got onto a massive publishing project and never used it, never even turned it on until last month. Then as we were preparing to use it, I called NewTek support about importing a custom made virtual set and was advised that we could design any virtual set we wanted and it would work with the Tricaster... our graphics guy designed a great set but then we discovered that nope, none of the formats we have work with the Tricaster (Cinema 4D or any Adobe or Photoshop software). Then I was told that we need to purchase additional proprietary software from NewTek to be able to make the virtual set work. I've been waiting for nearly a week for a response from NewTek regarding a solution but thus far nothing has been forthcoming, other than their offer to purchase the software. Are there no freelancers or individuals who work with Tricaster virtual sets that can help us for an hourly fee or something, rather than having to purchase and learn new proprietary software that we'll rarely use? When I purchased the tricaster I wasn't advised that only proprietary LiveSet files could be used, obviously MY MISTAKE for not researching and understanding this. I'm not a graphics guy, the tricaster was purchased for a small non-profit humanitarian organization for which I volunteer, the guys on our team who are learning the tricaster haven't found anyone who can import our virtual set into the tricaster. If someone could help we would be much appreciative, the set was made in Cinema 4D, it has 3 camera angles, monitors a and b. My number is 778 707 3320. thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Netzari View Post
    Are there no freelancers or individuals who work with Tricaster virtual sets that can help us for an hourly fee or something, rather than having to purchase and learn new proprietary software that we'll rarely use?
    Sure, there are several who provide these sort of services in this forum. I'm sure someone will respond.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    You can contact me

- - - Updated - - -

Joseburgos@burgosfx.com
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Dear Steve, it looks like purchasing the software will be about the same cost as paying for someone to convert the 3 camera virtual set into the compatible file extension.

1) Do guys generally load the Virtual Set Editor software into the tricaster? What do you recommend?

2) We've watched the online tutorial (NewTek TriCaster™ Virtual Set Editor (VSE) Demo) about importing the psd files into the software, it looks pretty basic, however are there any other tutorials that we can learn from?

3) Does the Virtual Set Editor react like the other software and give us reflections through our photoshop layers (psd files)?

4) The XD300 isn't on the NewTek product list anymore, which NewTek Virtual Set software is compatible for the 300?

5) Is that a single licence user or can a couple of us use the software, our main graphics guy is in the midwest USA and we're in western Canada?

thank you kindly,

Baruch

1) Do guys generally load the Virtual Set Editor software into the tricaster?
    VSE2 includes two licenses. The notion is that you'll likely want one on the TriCaster (this makes testing convenient), and the other on a standalone unit, but really you can allocate them to suit yourself on systems you or your company own. There's no requirement that either of them be on the TriCaster. (I'm not really the right guy to ask about licensing requirements, but I don't think anyone would imagine this means the units must be 'co-located.)

2) We've watched the online tutorial (NewTek TriCaster™ Virtual Set Editor (VSE) Demo) about importing the psd files into the software, it looks pretty basic, however are there any other tutorials that we can learn from?
    The manual (available online from the Support pages) has the required details, but I'm not sure whether you'll find any other video tutorials online or not, sorry. That said, while a bit fussy, it's really no hugely complicated as a rule.

3) Does the Virtual Set Editor react like the other software and give us reflections through our photoshop layers (psd files)?
    Reflections are essentially faked using additional input layers in the PSD that are suitably cropped, warped, etc., as required. there is no support for reflection maps, or that sort of thing. There are some limitations on this sort of thing. The current manual explains this as follows:

If your design calls for two video inputs in your project to overlap, special care must be taken to avoid distortion and other problems in the final LiveSet. Really it’s best to avoid the potential problem altogether, whether by techniques like cropping and positioning of input layer content, or perhaps by adding elements like monitor ‘bezels’, etc. to the set design to create adequate separation. In any case, you must ensure that two ‘same type’ input layers never overlap. (‘Same type’ input layers are defined as those tagged as a) ‘keyable’, or b) not marked ‘keyable’.)

This may require more separation than you’d expect, since antialiasing often causes hard-to-detect blending of what may seem to be merely ‘neighboring’ pixels. In general, if an input layer must overlap another, best practice calls for marking the foremost one as keyable, and the input layer behind it as non-keyable.
    4) The XD300 isn't on the NewTek product list anymore, which NewTek Virtual Set software is compatible for the 300?
    I don't know if the original VSE is still on sale (it was a single licence, btw). However VSE2 should work on your 300.

5) Is that a single licence user or can a couple of us use the software, our main graphics guy is in the midwest USA and we're in western Canada?
    See above.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'm not sure about VSE2 on XD300 because of graphic card but VSE is less money and Still for sale.
    Maybe someone can confirm for sure VSE2 works on XD300?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I did before posting.

There was an issue with the first release that affected installation on 300's, but the current build should resolve it. (If someone gets a USB stick with the older installer they might run into a problem, since they can't get the new version without registering, and can't register without installing - but CS should be able to work that out for them.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Appreciate all your help. Thx guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    I did before posting.

There was an issue with the first release that affected installation on 300's, but the current build should resolve it. (If someone gets a USB stick with the older installer they might run into a problem, since they can't get the new version without registering, and can't register without installing - but CS should be able to work that out for them.)
    Good to know
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Last edited by Netzari; 02-15-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks for all the help so far.
    Software has been installed and importing PSD files are a breeze.

My question is how do I program the camera animation in either VSE2 or the Tricaster as I can't seem to be able to zoom in on the set to get a decent 2 shot or close up. Currently the camera/animation is unavailable.

On the stock sets the 4 thumbnails with percentages are available to tweak but when I work with the photoshop imported file it only has the 1 image on the left with no editable percentages.

Cheers.

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Hi Netzari,

You should create your photoshop files at a higher resolution than you intend to broadcast (I usually double it - 3840x2180) so you can preserve detail when you zoom into the set. Virtual Set Editor allows you to set up a start and end print for these zooms - the controls are in the lower right of the screen (if I remember correctly). Keep in mind that these start and end points describe a vector with both zoom and position coordinates. This means you can set points that effectively create a linear dolly shot - not just a fixed camera zoom. If you wanted to create a shot that slid the camera from one section of a set over to another, you can do that.

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691[/SIZE]

john@gnural.com
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x

That worked like a charm, thank you very much John.

One more question if you don't mind.

The virtual set that was created has 3 inputs.

1 for Talent/subject

Monitor A
    and
    Monitor B

Is it possible to have 3 input sources inside the set; Monitor A, Monitor B, and Talent?

Thanks

From Browser To Broadcast jmmultex's Avatar
    Hi Netzari,,

The short answer is that you an only have two input sources (Input A and Input B) on any TriCaster EXCEPT the 8000. The 8000 adds an Input C and Input D. Though VSE lets you build sets with all 4 inputs, the C & D inputs will just repeat A & B if the set is used on any TriCaster but the 8000.

That said, using the .EXR version of the UV map, it is possible to take a single source and 'cut it up' into multiple sources in your set. Using something like the MD-QUAD (http://decimator.com/brochures/MD-QUAD3_brochure.pdf), you could take up to 4 live SDI sources and combine them into a single SDI-Quad view. Using the .EXR UV map (and 16 or 32 bpc images in photoshop), you can take each component of that single Quad feed and cut it up to display on individual monitors. If the sources don't need to be live, you could do the same thing with recorded video using FCP, Premiere, or After Effects - combining multiple tracks of video into a single video source. One of the Nightly News sets provided by NewTek uses this to have multiple monitors and a video crawl all displaying in different parts of the set.

With the EXR file, you can also do anamorphic effects. One thing that I've had a lot of success with is to take two 1920x1080 video sources and squeeze them into 960x1080 sources, and lay them down side by side as a single 1920x1080 source. In a virtual set, I then use the EXR to cut the video in half, then double the width of each half to create two 'full sized' 1080p videos. Though not as good as full rez 1080p sources, they actually end up looking quite good - the human eye is far more sensitive to vertical resolution than horizontal resolution so cheating this way is less noticeable - especially with a moving image.

Be happy to chat if you think it would be helpful. Shoot me an email and we can set up a time.

Best,
    John
    John Mahoney
    GNURAL NET, Inc.
    Trenton, NJ 08691[/SIZE]

john@gnural.com
    http://www.gnuralnet.com

Gear:
    Gnural Net LiveToAir, TC1, TC1LP, MDS1, TC8000, Cameras: NDIHX-PTZ1, PTZ Optics ZCAM 20x