Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tree[d] Free tree generator

tree[d] Free tree generator

Saw this on setuptab.

tree[d]

tree[d] is an easy to use tree generator!

An accessible user interface allows you to create nearly any type of tree within minutes. Use the included media to try out the many options, to create realtime trees for your games or visualizations.Once you have created your perfect tree, make an infinite number of variations by clicking a single button. And export the tree as a 3D model or as a billboard texture.

Export 3D models to .x, .obj or .b3d

Best of all tree[d] is free to use, and you can include the trees you make in your own projects, commercial or free, as long as they are not model packs, texture packs, 3D model generators, or texture generators.

http://www.frecle.net/index.php?show=treed.about
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

tree[d] is cool, especially considering it's free. But recently I tried out a whole bunch of tree apps, and hated speedtree despite the power (also it was crazy expensive and I didn't want to have to buy tree templates) and xfrog was quite dated. There was an experimental 3DCoat version (free for 3DCoat licensees) that did excellent trees but they were way too high poly and only good for renders. I tried so many tree apps last month - commercial trials too.

But I wanted good-looking, low-poly stuff for games.

There were a bunch others I tried, but ended up buying and using flora3d I found it easier to make the look of the tree I wanted at the correct poly size and resolution than in tree[d]. I also got better looks out of trees as far as I could tell and also it came with a decent set of presets which were quite varied. Yes it's $60 (I think he raised the price recently, I think I bought it at $40) but I would gladly pay $60 for it as it certainly saved me more than enough time on a project to pay for itself several times over.

While tree[d] (to me) is a great little app and very similar to flora3d in some ways, I found once you got down to actually working with the tool to get what you want, I found flora3d easier to get the results, than in tree[d] even though theirs is free and have a much slicker website. The flora3d author was very responsive to me after I bought it and even emailed me videos and screenshots on how to do what I wanted to do and updated the program in the last month since I got it. If a few bucks isn't a big deal to you I recommend you check out this when you are buying tree stuff.

Plus you can't turn off the wind in tree[d] which gets annoying after awhile even though it seems slick at first.
    Last edited by sami; 01-21-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Yep, this little program can make some pretty decent trees for use in arch viz stuff.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

Used to work with their lightmapping tool some years ago. This guys are creating really nice stuff.

Blog Entries
    wow nice....

Intel Core i7-980, OC 4.7ghz water cooled.
    Gigabyte x58-UD3R with an Intell SSD 180GIG
    RamCorsair-DDR3-1600-32GIG
    Nvidia Titan Z, x 2 And 1 GTX-1080 by Gigabyte.
    4xEnterprise/WDVelociRaptorŪ300gig

http://snappytree.com/ webgl based and its pretty good

The randomise seed feature is great! The same type of tree, but different.

Tip :- There is a nasty bug in the .obj export, where some of the values come out as NAN (Not A Number). If you use a text editor on the exported file and change them all to 0.0 then it loads into modeler no problem.

snappy tree looks cool, but to few options to control perhaps, and still some way to go for great looking trees, tried to subpatch the tree for a close up tree, but that became horrible branching substretching.

In the end I would probably just fire up dponīts free tree verdure tool, which is a lower end version of the great treegenerator from pavel olas, at least very similar.

The best treeīs still comes from x-frog, though heavy in detail and no more plugin support for lightwave, and also speed tree which has unprecedented level of control at branch level.

granted..snappy tree could be called speed tree too, since it produces tree in a very fast manner with foliage.

Michael

I don't know about you guys, but many of the tools mentioned here, either don't have enough presets and tweakable settings to get the right look of various different species of trees at the right poly count, or have too many tree specific crap with numbers I really don't care to spend the time to understand. Like do I really need to know average nitrogen concentration per cubic meter of roots or whatever they have in there Just give me poly segments and branch counts and inheritance and the way flora3D does it and I can make a good looking tree that I actually CAN USE in my game or whatever as opposed to just giving me more distractions and things to play with in my workflow. Like I even tried the free Tree Sketcher on iPad which exports objs too, and as neat an experiement as that is, it just doesn't let me quickly create trees of a particular kind that look realistic (to me a non-arborist).

Flora3D lets me easily load different bark images (it comes with several) and leaf images (from palm frond, to maple leaf, to pine needles) and easily create a tree that isn't billions of polys. I can tweak in terms of things I can understand - like what percentage of branches are broken etc. To me that is the next best thing to a terrain engine that does it for you. If I actually liked the outdoors enough to care about the sap density slider in some of these apps, I'd have been a forest ranger - not a 3d geek in a dark man-made room filled with artifical LED light

Nice little program! I think it would be awesome to have something like "Forest pro" plugin or similar for LightWave , but dreams,dreams...
    " ...we are so close, yet so far away... "

Any body else getting this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	110549  
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

Nice little easy AND free! tool.What I especially like is the intuitive interface that makes creating trees easy. Wether it delivers realistic trees that can be used in LW thats the question. busy trying right now ...................
    Last edited by Taran-Q; 01-23-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    Any body else getting this?
    Had lower the resolution on my monitor to get it work.
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

That looks pretty slick. Would have be awesome for the project I just finished. :/

Anyone know any good tree/srub plugins or programs for macs?

Thanks

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Managed to get tree[d] running on OSX Mac! Video proof: http://youtu.be/LE_t4Q7TI_s

1 Installed WineSkin Winery: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
    2 Created a new blank wrapper (NOTE: Mono is NOT required)
    3 Installed the tree[d]-setup.310.exe
    4 Ran it
    5 Saved the default OBJ, attaching here

Runs slowly (more slowly when screen recording) but not too slow. 10-15 FPS for default object. Using 2012 MacBook Pro.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ncr100; 01-23-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö Ī wk Py

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast