Thread: Need tip for character armor!

Need tip for character armor!

If I want a character in armor, should I draw the character and then put the armor on him, or I could just draw the armor and draw part like hands and legs separately? Thanks

I find it easier to have the character first, then build the armor to fit. At least that is the way I do it.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

thanks, gonna try it that way

I kind of remember Splinegod talking about cutting away the geometry hidden under the clothes for animation, but that can be done after the modeling process (save different versions of the model) and if you're fighting problems with intersecting geometry/slow deformations when animating.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Get the character anatomy correct first. Then adapt the armor to move with his joint system and overall shapes. Hopefully LW11.5 will have a decent playback this time around. I find it odd that I can pose a character very quickly but the interpolation between keys is super slow.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Yes, get the anatomy first. Then decide which parts do what. Unless it's a tight-fitting armor suit, your movements may look funny and disjointed not knowing where the bones should sit, and when the stiff armor should open/ move apart- it depends on your design(esp. since you're putting arms and legs- the shoulders & knees may show sometimes). (So what do you do if he swaps the shield from one arm to the other, or removes his/her helmet?) Most machines are fast enough for geometry if your keeping it not too heavy. It's also easier for surfacing separate parts. But a little more fiddly in the fit-out costume department. He may go back to the change-room for new threads several times. It depends on what your char will do.
    Jasonwestmas: I also find the interpolation too smooth for character motion- how do you get more realistic action- using tension, bias, continuity in the graph editor would be arduous and not exact. Is there a modifier or expression to give better human-like motion/momentum, or is that mo-caps only?
    Last edited by ridasaleeb2; 01-02-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by ridasaleeb2 View Post
    Is there a modifier or expression to give better human-like motion, or is that mo-caps only?
    I believe it is called "practice and experience".
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

ridasaleeb2: check out Jeff Lew at http://www.jefflew.com/ he has some great videos on character animation. Most are pay videos but there are free samples.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

Thanks for the lead Sandman. Thanks Jeric- I'll practice.

Jasonwestmas: I also find the interpolation too smooth for character motion- how do you get more realistic action- using tension, bias, continuity in the graph editor would be arduous and not exact. Is there a modifier or expression to give better human-like motion/momentum, or is that mo-caps only?
    hi there,

I was actually talking about playback speed and how the scrubbing of the timeline is super inadequate in 11.01 and above. I can't even scrub to get a decent representation of the motion with heavier rigs, the geometry density won't fix the problem like it can in previous LW versions. TCB and bias handles are actually your best bet for hand keyed animation. Motion wise you won't find anything better than using a graph editor other than having a motion capture studio for your biped characters.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Hi Jasonwestmas,
    Thanks. Are you running an i7 with lots of ram, and still same trouble? I hope to upgrade soon.

Hi Jasonwestmas,
    Thanks. Are you running an i7 with lots of ram, and still same trouble? I hope to upgrade soon.
    Yeah, I have 8GB of ram. It's certainly not a ram problem that I can't get decent feedback. So it's clearly not anything I can do to fix it or optimize myself around. NT has character riggers testing their software so I'm not sure how this problem got overlooked. I actually get better feed back from LW9.6. I'll just have to trust that NT is taking CA seriously for 11.5 since it does have new CA tools in it this time around.