Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metalink Morph Symmetry Issue

Metalink Morph Symmetry Issue

Here we have some symmetrical fibers parented to a symmetrical morphing object. I applied ClothFX to the morphing object and scanned the motion to create an mdd, then applied FX_MetaLink to the fibers. As you can see, the fiber symmetry is not retained. FX_Hardlink causes the problem to flip to the other side.

eyebrows.zip

I'm not experienced with ClothFX so it's possible I'm misusing it in this instance. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

(c:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyebrows.gif 
Views:	1362 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	108736  
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 10-23-2012 at 09:38 PM.

I say fog it and send the content to NewTek. I though it might be a point order issue but the fibers don't look to be deforming all wacky.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Its just meta-link... not very good.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Fogged, thanks.

I'm starting to think it might be something to do with the morph object, as I can't seem to reproduce this with a fresh new mesh. In the meantime I guess I'll be needing another way to lock the fibers to the skin without having to morph the fibers themselves (ie match them individually to the morphs in the other object (ie painstaking)).

(c:

Oh, chris.... its u. I didnt even register the username before.

Well... here's what I do.

I tend to just ffx directly on mesh in layout, no guide geo, as having it match with morfs etc is a huge pain. Using the layout ffx tool/edit guides etc is easier and sticks properly to deforming geo. The workflow issue here is working with subD stuff... as you cant go switching subD levels after styling. To get round this, I either have a master copy character/rig, with the subdiv/hair done, and merge motions back onto it fro a bald copy... or... I create a second geo of just the cut out hair bits, which I scale down along normal the tinyest amount. This geo ofc being copied from the original head geo. This can then be styled, locked, made fully transparent, and its subD left alone, and it'll still follow with the main mesh morfs, bones, etc.

The other alternative if this isnt pressing right now... is jsut to wait for 11.5. That's gonna have layout guide styles stored in vmaps in the objects themselves, so the whole problem described above will go away.

Btw... that eyelid deformation u were having issues with a while back... I ofc recalled the answer recently when I hit on something similar... there was nothing wrong with ur nodes or LW, it is ofc displacement order. Had u set it to before world, itd work fine.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thanks Rebel,

I wasn't able to get enough accuracy out of the Layout FFX for things like eyebrows, and yeah the inability to change subD levels is a big deterrent. Also having the fiber strands as a separate object seems like a tidier and more future-proof approach, if only they could be properly glued back on... Maybe having the styles stored with the object will be the go (especially if there's a way to edit the vmaps).

As for the eyelid deformation, I just checked the problem scene and node displacement is already set to before world - the displacement strays no matter what the setting. I ended up going with effectors anyway, which holds up provided I don't go super closeup on the eye.

(c:

I can now confirm that the issue isn't isolated to the objects in my example, as I just recreated it with a new scene and new objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    I can now confirm that the issue isn't isolated to the objects in my example, as I just recreated it with a new scene and new objects.
    Yeah... metalink it is. Its always been reasonably poor if the target mesh isnt already a VERY close match to the source. Ive tried metalinking dynamic wigs before to things brought through from SI, and strands wil "ignore" a hair that its 1mm from, and stick to one 5mm away... then jump back again, etc. Used on larger shapes, with looser geo... its failings often arent noticable, but try to get precision out of it and it falls flat. There was briefly a metalink node version... but that sucked real donkeys. Word on the street is its making a comeback soon.. So I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

Just for the record though... I can build a "metalink" in tool in ICE in less than a minute, and its PERFECT... so it cant be that bloody hard.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Here's hoping for that metalink node then. Or ICE for LW...

hi, were you able to improve it?
    i found that softFX and metalink with "Smoothing" on worked ok, not super, but ok, sorta...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

anchor might work, though tedious...

(just tested it on 2-3 guides)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Metalink Guides, testing some stuff...
    http://youtu.be/-aoBTCAR0Cg

edit:
    nah, looks like there is a problem getting a metalink to drive a metalink... [ugh!]
    Last edited by erikals; 12-21-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    The other alternative if this isn't pressing right now... is just to wait for 11.5. That's gonna have layout guide styles stored in vmaps in the objects themselves, so the whole problem described above will go away.
    xrossing fingers for that feature...

Metalink Guides, video 1...
    http://youtu.be/-aoBTCAR0Cg

Metalink Guides, video 2... interesting result :]
    http://youtu.be/qaYh_FDMWvs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast