Thread: 3D Coat now on steam/software (special promotion deal)

3D Coat now on steam/software (special promotion deal)

i just noticed this and am rather tempted

http://store.steampowered.com/app/100980/

does anyone know if one is entitled to a free 3DC v4 upgrade with this purchase?
    Intel Core i7-990X EE - NVIDIA GeForce GTX980 - 16 GB - Windows 7 64bit

I know this will fall on deaf ears at Newtek, but... Newtek should TOTALLY GET LIGHTWAVE ONTO STEAM!!!!

Join 3DCOAT there. Along the way make sure that LW can work as transparently as possible (perhaps a plugin, offered as some STEAM DLC!) with their Source Filmmaker. Add some Achievements and you WILL see an uptick in sales.

- - - Updated - - -

On the page for 3DCOAT, it lists this...
    "Your 3D models can be auto-compiled directly to the Team Fortress 2 Workshop from within 3D Coat!"

Put that into LW and increase your market share!
    please power off before disconnecting connecting connectors

Quote Originally Posted by beverins View Post
    I know this will fall on deaf ears at Newtek, but... Newtek should TOTALLY GET LIGHTWAVE ONTO STEAM!!!!

Join 3DCOAT there. Along the way make sure that LW can work as transparently as possible (perhaps a plugin, offered as some STEAM DLC!) with their Source Filmmaker. Add some Achievements and you WILL see an uptick in sales.

- - - Updated - - -

On the page for 3DCOAT, it lists this...
    "Your 3D models can be auto-compiled directly to the Team Fortress 2 Workshop from within 3D Coat!"

Put that into LW and increase your market share!
    YES. Download service packs and '.' releases from Steam. Steam as DRM. Steam Cloud storage backup for models.

I'd try the demo first, I bought a license a while back on recommendation and never really used it for anything other than tests. There's nothing wrong with the software, for some reason some of it's workflow just doesn't sit right with me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being critical. Just kinda wished I'd tried the demo properly before I jumped in. I've seen amazing things come out of the 3dcoat community, afraid it's just not for me.
    yeah alright.... we won a BAFTA http://littleloud.com/work/bsr/

Medical Animator
    I agree with the idea of Newtek getting Lightwave onto Steam, especially with selling the idea of the Unity pipeline

The LW Group should take advantage of the fact that they're small and relatively flat to get in there before any other modeling or animation packages. The one who gets in first will have a huge advantage at winning the masses who have no idea that 3D packages really exist and will be amazed by the concept. Once there are 2 or more choices, they will start researching and it will not be such an impulse buy anymore. I don't think there's much time before Houdini gets in there.

What achievements could LW add?
    You've created an envelope!
    You've Patched a spline!
    You've selected 1 million polys!

I understand (although I might be mistaken) that Steam has the stupid geographical price discrimination practices in place similar to Adobe and Autodesk - so if you live outside North America you pay much more

I understand (although I might be mistaken) that Steam has the stupid geographical price discrimination practices in place similar to Adobe and Autodesk - so if you live outside North America you pay much more

Sorry for the double post!

Quote Originally Posted by AbstractTech3D View Post
    They have the capability. Each publisher decides if they want to set different prices for different regions.

I pay $ 100 (paypal) for a video tutorial showing me how to import my model (a sofa or a chair) into Voxels, apply the default cloth object to it (with uv) and export it back to Lightwave.

Like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	108335   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagesCAXHHN3M.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	108334  
    Win 7 64, Core i7-3930 @ 4.2 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 680

http://www.ryste3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ryste3d View Post
    I pay $ 100 (paypal) for a video tutorial showing me how to import my model (a sofa or a chair) into Voxels, apply the default cloth object to it (with uv) and export it back to Lightwave.

Like this:
    Never used to tool but here is a short video going over how it works http://youtu.be/D-i2_QmEu_g

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    i just noticed this and am rather tempted

http://store.steampowered.com/app/100980/

does anyone know if one is entitled to a free 3DC v4 upgrade with this purchase?
    This appears to be the 'non-commercial' version, by the price point (which is also limited to texture size and layers)
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2019

Quote Originally Posted by Markc View Post
    This appears to be the 'non-commercial' version, by the price point (which is also limited to texture size and layers)
    Steam has both versions, and the offer is a mere 10% discount. I'm not impressed, and while I've several "steam powered" games, I don't want to be limited by steam to which programs I can use to work, specially when I'm travelling and offline.

Yes. From this past August, going forward, anyone who purchased 3D Coat with get the V4 upgrade for free (relative to the type of license...EDU/Non Commercial or Professional). Steam currently just offers Windows versions of both the EDU/Non Commercial and the Professional version, and that is with a 10% discount. Upgrades of any kind and Mac/Linux versions will need to go through 3D Coat's website currently. That may change in the near future, but that's where it stands today.