Thread: Sick of searching posts not finding correct matches, Create Pipeline Categories!

Sick of searching posts not finding correct matches, Create Pipeline Categories!

Every now and then I try to find post done by me, ore someone else dealing with pipeline issues, somehow the search functions do not give good results back
    when looking for this, canīt figure out why.

I have mentioned a couple of times how the forums need specific dedicated Pipeline categories, to better sort and find topics in different areas, but I havent seen those suggestions
    taken up to be implemented.

I think there is a lot to gain from that, I know that there is a lot of different applications that would be covered and I have suggested a Main categorie called PIPELINE-IMPORT AND EXPORT, Followed by respective applications...such as e.x.

Daz studio-Lightwave
    Poser-Lightwave
    quidam-Lightwave
    vue-Lightwave
    Terragen-Lightwave
    After effects-Lightwave
    Fusion-Lightwave
    Maya-Lightwave
    Sketchup-Lightwave
    Photoshop-Lightwave
    Illustrator-Lightwave
    Zbrush-Lightwave
    3Dcoat-Lightwave
    Mudbox-Lightwave
    Motion Builder-Lightwave
    3dmax-Lightwave
    Houdini-Lightwave
    Syntheyes-Lightwave
    Matchmover-Lightwave
    Boujou-Lightwave

Each one of these categories should contain both import and export.

These are just some examples of the subcategories beneath the Main Forum categorie PIPELINE-IMPORT AND EXPORT, Im sure thereīs more important ones out there, which
    all ends up scattered in either general support, or lw community or general discussion etc..that is not a good way.

I have done a few guides ..but I found myself getting lost to find them on the forums now and then, so Please take my advice on this and check if this is worthwhile to set up?
    I have more to add to such guides for some things, but I donīt think itīs worthwhile to spend time to do them if I cant find themself on the forums later on with ease.

Michael

oh corks
    As far as I can tell, when I try to search now, there are no results returned for anything prior to them installing this unnecessary new forum.

I like the idea of a single pipeline forum, but I think your full list is... perhaps too full. Also, I never had any problem finding things until now.

I have issues searching also. Though I must say I search a lot of things that I already read, just want to refresh my memory, so I remember posters and keywords, so google helps, has it helped in the old forum. but since I have to use proxy to access the forum, it\'s a bit faf to retrieve the link and introduce it, instead of just clicking it in google
    Hopefully it\'s a temp thing.

Cheers

Searching is so messed up now it's made these forums almost unusable. Pretty shocking and very frustrating :/
    yeah alright.... we won a BAFTA http://littleloud.com/work/bsr/

TrueArt Support
    Making too many forum categories killed not one forum, bringing visitor count to level where forum is simply dead f.e. SpinQuad..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Making too many forum categories killed not one forum, bringing visitor count to level where forum is simply dead f.e. SpinQuad..
    If you make to many forum categories in the main page, that will not be good, but as I mentioned, this will not have any affect at all on the overall forum really if you put them all in subcategories beneath The main PIPELINE
    Thus keeping the overal Forum light weight, besides you can simply remove others like vue, and a few more that could be sorted and fit in under PIPELINE.

Spinquad forum killed off was as I believe probably a mix of Bad reputation where quite a few people starting bashing out on each other due to a well know conflict, and also it from time to time had virus warnings, activity in general was dropping and at the same time newtek forum was enhanced etc..donīt think for a second that it had to many categories to be the cause of it.

Michael

Double post due to the forums are extremly slow and hanging nowadays..hope they fix that soon, a lot of times you just canīt connect.

Quote Originally Posted by nikfaulkner View Post
    Searching is so messed up now it's made these forums almost unusable. Pretty shocking and very frustrating :/
    Thatīs why my idea is quite good ..isnīt it no messing with searching, just go to pipeline and where stuff should be if thatīs what youré looking for that is.

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikfaulkner View Post
    You can use the forum URL in Google's advanced search and still find everything. It's not as convenient and it SHOULD be completely unnecessary, but at least it does work.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search