Thread: I would LOVE to be able to change my viewport navigation to be like modeler's.

I would LOVE to be able to change my viewport navigation to be like modeler's.

Why has layout never allowed a user to switch "alt-shift" navigation to match modeler? I understand why layout's shift-alt navigation works the way it does, but since it's different from modeler it feels very inconsistant and frustrating for new users. Not to mention users of other apps like maya.

I would LOVE to see lightwave allow viewport navigation options to emulate other apps (like maya, max, etc) as well.

Is this something that would hard for the devs to code (20 year old code base and all)?

Thanks!

I'm sure all this on the horizon. The more the internals of LW changes the more options like this we'll get. Core had them.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    I'm not sure what you mean: AFAICT, alt+shift works the same in both apps.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I believe he's referring to the trackball vs. turntable method of navigating the 3D space.

Oops, sorry for not clarifying.

This only applies to perspective views. Alt-shift in modeler moves the view in camera space. Kind of like an ortho mode. Alt-shift in layout moves the view in and out of the screen. This is how layout has always worked to make it feel like you were dollying a camera around in the environment. This isn't bad by itself, obviously, but it would be great if it's behavior could be switched to match modeler. The lack of consistency between apps can be maddening. You get used to it, but it would be nice to not have to.

Quote Originally Posted by fahr View Post

This only applies to perspective views. Alt-shift in modeler moves the view in camera space. Kind of like an ortho mode. Alt-shift in layout moves the view in and out of the screen. This is how layout has always worked to make it feel like you were dollying a camera around in the environment. This isn't bad by itself, obviously, but it would be great if it's behavior could be switched to match modeler. The lack of consistency between apps can be maddening. You get used to it, but it would be nice to not have to.
    No need to clarify, I figured perspective mode was what you referring to. They do use slightly different methods, but I hardly notice. If I were trying to model in layout (which you can't obviously) it would be an issue. As it is, I personally find no issue with it. But I agree that the user should be able to adjust and set this behavior as desired.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

well..... I can see there's some sort of difference, but for me it's so minor as to be totally ignorable.

Maybe I'm using some different view option than you, but here it's entirely negligible.

Hmm, well its been a little while for me, but how would one go about moving an object in "camera space" in layout? Basically be able to move an object around parallel to the camera's local axis? It's incredibly useful when positioning characters and ive never found that option in lightwave.
    Last edited by fahr; 09-08-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Hmm, well its been a little while for me, but how would one go about moving an object in "camera space" in layout? Basically be able to move an object around parallel to the camera's local axis? It's incredibly useful when positioning characters and ive never found that option in lightwave.
    Maybe my background in RW production is showing, but this has never been a problem. You just MOVE the object, just like you do in the RW.

The camera is not a viewport: it's part of the production. And viewports are not cameras: they are limited visualization tools.

Come to think of it, this is why I think 3D sucks so bad in AE: they think viewports are cameras, which makes no sense on set.