Thread: Steve Wozniak: Cloud Computing Will Cause 'Horrible Problems In The Next Five Years'

Steve Wozniak: Cloud Computing Will Cause 'Horrible Problems In The Next Five Years'

Quote:
    "
    Steve Wozniak really, really doesn't like the cloud.
    The Apple cofounder slammed cloud computing during a Q&A after a recent performance of The Agony And The Ecstasy of Steve Jobs, the controversial play by Mike Daisy.

"I really worry about everything going to the cloud," Wozniak told the audience, according to a transcript from Agence France-Presse. "I think it's going to be horrendous. I think there are going to be a lot of horrible problems in the next five years."

Wozniak didn't offer much in the way of specifics about what these "horrible problems" would be, but he did hint at concerns about signing away rights to digital property stored in the cloud and generally losing ownership of that property.

"I want to feel that I own things," Wozniak said at the event. "A lot of people feel, 'Oh, everything is really on my computer,' but I say the more we transfer everything onto the web, onto the cloud, the less we're going to have control over it."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/steve...#ixzz254HT0X3e

And for more:

Why the Cloud Sucks
    Steve Wozniak

Quote:
    "I've had too many personal experiences get messed up just because companies change things on the cloud. I've come to a depressed state of feeling that I own nothing on the cloud and have no ability to keep things working the way they do. Features change and get dropped, things you depend on disappear, etc. And no company will ever take responsibility. It's rare to ever get told what really happened. "

http://gizmodo.com/5932161/why-the-cloud-sucks
    Last edited by robertoortiz; 08-30-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Blog Entries
    I haven't read the linked articles but based on these quotes, I think Steve's got a point. Even thought the web is 18 years old, it's still in it's infancy and it's still a lot like the Wild West of the 19 century. Because no governments really control the internet as such, it's still very much a level playing field where anything goes.

There are going to be lots of issues to iron out and at some point a decision is going to have to be made as to whether to legislate the web or leave it open. Both will have a price to be paid, the question is which can you afford?

If you use the services of any company, internet based or not, you'll no doubt be at their mercy to some degree. This has become even more highlighted with retail banking in the UK. It's now become painfully clear that these banks are not your friends and they really don't value your custom. They can change their terms and conditions to be even more in their favour and since they've got government in their pocket, their attitude is; "Well, what are you gonna do about it?".

This attitude with companies will no doubt become ever more prevalent within internet based businesses as their revenues grow larger and larger, since it seems there is a direct relationship between larger profits and poorer service in the corporate world.

Apple is a prime example of this. When they started out, they were the cool company, they were grounded and really listened to their customers. However, since they became a multi-million dollar corporation, it seems that they are and have forgotten some of those customers that have invested in their tech and decided to drop support or investment in areas were these customers make their livelihood.

Ofcourse it's not just them, many big corporations are the same.

So the decision to invest yourself and use a cloud based service is a tricky one, because today these companies are looking to attract users and customers with lots of bells and whistles and great features and user experiences but when you've invested your self in those services you've only got yourself to blame when they become a big corporation and decide to forget you. It's not like this hasn't happened before. It's not their fault you didn't see the signs and see what was coming.

You've served your purpose and they don't owe you anything.

Do they?

For those still drinking the Koolaid

"Amazon Cloud Goes Down Friday Night, Taking Netflix, Instagram And Pinterest With It"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyk...erest-with-it/
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Blog Entries
    And there's that too.

Is it wrong that the old codger in me squeals with delight at hearing this kind of stuff?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Is it wrong that the old codger in me squeals with delight at hearing this kind of stuff?
    Only if you're wise enough to know that new doesn't always mean better. And so far cloud computing doesn't seem better (to me anyway).

It's just that we have spent two decades preaching about firewalls, security, etc.. Now marketing starts blathering about a magical "cloud" where all your data should live. Sorry, I'm just not buying into the "cloud". (Everytime I hear that word, I swear to God, I think of Unicorns.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    ... the "cloud". (Everytime I hear that word, I swear to God, I think of Unicorns.)

I love it. I'm gonna use that one.

I wonder how much extra burden on the Internet the cloud-based applications will have? Personally, I don't want to pay for extra data download/upload through my provider for the privilege of the company whose software I've paid to use to have an easier time distributing it. I see absolutely no benefit for me as a user - even automatic updates could cause costly issues - it will be easy to disseminate software updates to all your users, and just as easy to disseminate a bad software update to the same people.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

“Mr. Montag, you are looking at a coward. I saw the way things were going a long time back. I said nothing. I am one of the innocents who could have spoken up and out when no one would listen to the 'guilty,' but I did not speak and thus became guilty myself.”