Thread: Tricaster and BMD Camera Converter

Tricaster and BMD Camera Converter

hi..

please help,

i use BlackMagic camera Converter and Studio converter, connect to Tricaster 850 extreme.

question is :
    how to trigger tally light on Blackmagic Atem camera converter from Tricaster?

thank you

No way to use the built-in tally features currently, as the BMD box doesn't have a GPI interface.

Now - BlackMagic says they have a SDI-embedded Tally packet. You could beg Newtek to get the specs for that and incorporate it in to the SDI output on the Tricaster.

I haven't read the SDI spec, but presumably there are packets allocated for data and signaling.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Tricaster and BMD Camera Converter

If you are not using the Audio left or Audio right input you might be able to send the tally signal down that line.

Send me an email and we can talk about it further.

[email protected]

www.tally-lights.com

Tedkazm

But presumably not the onscreen tally border the BMD can display?
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Feature Request...

I've put in a feature request for that in the past, but it can't hurt to pile on...

https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Using TCX850, soon I hope I'll do upgrade to XD860. Cameras are wired width Blackmagic Design Fiber-SDI converters.
    So far I have used metasetz tally for intercom and talent light, means I had to run another cable (CAT5) together with optics cable carrying video.

Having more than one thread in fiber cable, I start to think how to use that same fiber cable used for vide in order to push tally signal and intercom from the mic to the cameras. Anyone knows how to accomplish that without investing "billions" for Miranda or similar expensive "all-in-one" fiber equipment? Those device are great but way too expensive for my projects. So here I'm looking for affordable and simple solution.

BMD fiber optics <-> SDI converter can send and receive signal simultaneously, so sending audio in reverse direction could be done with some audio from SDI de-embbeder. But how to push tally signal to the cameras, if possible through some of already used threads.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    http://www.josephelectronics.com/Fea...ESNG-LIGHT.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by stijef View Post
    Using TCX850, soon I hope I'll do upgrade to XD860. Cameras are wired width Blackmagic Design Fiber-SDI converters.
    So far I have used metasetz tally for intercom and talent light, means I had to run another cable (CAT5) together with optics cable carrying video.

Having more than one thread in fiber cable, I start to think how to use that same fiber cable used for vide in order to push tally signal and intercom from the mic to the cameras. Anyone knows how to accomplish that without investing "billions" for Miranda or similar expensive "all-in-one" fiber equipment? Those device are great but way too expensive for my projects. So here I'm looking for affordable and simple solution.

BMD fiber optics <-> SDI converter can send and receive signal simultaneously, so sending audio in reverse direction could be done with some audio from SDI de-embbeder. But how to push tally signal to the cameras, if possible through some of already used threads.
    Are you using the ATEM Camera Converters and Studio Converters?
    The tally is there in the SDI signal already if you are using an ATEM switcher. Unfortunately the TriCaster does not send the necessary signal down the path.

One option you might look into is using a combo fiber/copper cable. Use the 2 Tac2 fibers for the ATEM converters and one of the coppers for COMM then the other copper for Tally.
    Joseph Electronics custom builds this cable -- ESNG-LIGHT/ESNG-LIGHT.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a_ESNG-LIGHT.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	122085
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

There are a couple of "SDI-Repeater", "SDI2HDMI" and "HDMI2SDI" devices that supports power/rs485 over SDI.
    SDI signal runs down the line from the camera and power/rs4856 runs upstream to the camera.
    We already use the power over SDI feature very successsfully in our live productions for e.g powering the SDI repeaters, the HDMI2SDI conveters and even powering GoPros connected to the HDMI2SDI converters (our so called bomb boxes :-) )
    It's a nice and clean setup as only one Coax cable carries it all.

At the moment i'am working on a TC Tally to RS485 interface and a RS485 SDI powered Tally light. (maybe even single way audio from TC to camera is possible over the RS485 using a high compression phonem base codec, i alread found a speex library for the small arm m3 core that i'am using on the pcb :-) )

BTW: can someone tell me, what will happen if two same CS are connected to a tricaster ?
    Do they both work at the same time ?
    EG. if i connected two TC8000 CS to a TC8000 what will happen ? If i like to operate on one of both CS then, would the other CS at least show all the correct button lights ?
    Unfortunately i don't have two 8000CS for trying this myself.

best regards,
    Walter
    Last edited by Labmaster; 06-04-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    TC8000 / TW850
    Cables: Belden 1694/Canara Connectors
    Cams: Sony PWM-EX3, Sony HDR-CX430/BMD HDMI2SDI

Walter I'm so glad to find you doing this research and trying to build tally + intercom over existing wire...

now from what you know - for us, Tricaster users, is anyhow possible to have video coming from camera on one fiber thread and intercom+ tally light coming to cameras over another fiber thread?

If you still need it, I can do test with TC 850 CS together with TC 455 CS, either on TC 455 or TC 850?

Quote Originally Posted by stijef View Post
    Walter I'm so glad to find you doing this research and trying to build tally + intercom over existing wire...

now from what you know - for us, Tricaster users, is anyhow possible to have video coming from camera on one fiber thread and intercom+ tally light coming to cameras over another fiber thread?

If you still need it, I can do test with TC 850 CS together with TC 455 CS, either on TC 455 or TC 850?

The system i am fiddling around with is SDI (HDSDI) only, as i simply use a already existing data path. Coax is something complete different.

best regards,
    Walter
    TC8000 / TW850
    Cables: Belden 1694/Canara Connectors
    Cams: Sony PWM-EX3, Sony HDR-CX430/BMD HDMI2SDI

What do you thing about this solution
    http://www.lynx-technik.com/en/produ...nxCategory/10/

From other thread, upcoming update includes: Tally over SDI (e.g., tally to devices like BMD cameras and converters)

NewTek Certified Operator - TriCaster Professional Line
    TC 460 8000 / ATEM 4K 1 M/E
    Elemental Live / Teradek Cube/Bond / Wirecast 6
    Panasonic HE120 Sony F55/F5/FS7/EX3
    LinkedIn

See this thread about upcoming features in the next TriCaster release.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....iCaster-update
    Kane Peterson
    Key Accounts Sales Engineer
    NewTek, Inc.