Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Effects - Element 3D

After Effects - Element 3D

 
    Compositing with Element 3D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysw4nn1JSsA

pretty cool, considering it's just raytracing, no GI...

 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I agree. This Element 3D plugin looks amazing.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

Compositing with Element 3D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysw4nn1JSsA

pretty cool, considering it's just raytracing, no GI...

It's not even raytracing, it's just OpenGL. It looks very cool.

I'd consider it at $100 and would be instantly sold at $75 but $150 feels high to me, especially since I already own the excellent AE Link (I understand it isn't the same).
    -Joshua Jorgensen

If a project comes up where I can use it, sweet. Looks like it can be handy. I'm finding so far the new 3D features in CS6 to be so slow that they're unusable. VPR seems faster.

If I didn't already have AElink I would be more interested in this.

Top Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by meatycheesyboy View Post
    It's not even raytracing, it's just OpenGL. It looks very cool.

I'd consider it at $100 and would be instantly sold at $75 but $150 feels high to me, especially since I already own the excellent AE Link (I understand it isn't the same).
    I was checking out their promo vids and was fairly impressed. Then I saw the price tag. It seems fairly reasonable, especially since I use AE plugs that are easily double the price. Much of my AE work is simple 3d stuff, so I would have to see what sorts of render times E3D has and how it handles the kinds of meshes I create. I don't see a downloadable demo though.

they just upgraded the super sampling

Top Dog

Trapcode Mir

Another cool looking OpenGL-based plug, Trapcode Mir: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/prod...m_medium=email

So, explain to me again why dedicated 3D apps (very much including LW) often / usually make bevelling text into such a nightmare - when it can be done in AE (merely a 2.5D app) apparently without a problem.

(Can Element 3D text be exported as a mesh for LW import somehow?)

I have long found it quite ridiculous that while a significant portion of 3D / CG is motion graphics, and a very large portion of motion graphics involves text, that the text tools we have are truly awful.

Regardless of unification, one area that definitely needs a creation history stack modifier, or nodal construction solution is text creation. Without it - I end up remodelling and painfully bevelling and deforming every new string of text (and I have many strings of text!). I want to do it once only - then replace the string of text and have the bevel + deformations I created automatically update! (And remain tweakable). This should be a tool, or a nodal environment (+ nodes) within Layout - making bevels and deforms animate-able.

AND - it should not make a mess of the bevels!

If NT want the motion graphic market - they really ought to be on top of this.
    Last edited by AbstractTech3D; 07-31-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Usually for text bevels I am using now DPkit edge shader. It makes the bevel at render time.

Yes, have tried it. It can work if the text geometry is not too complicated. But it doesn't simultaneously work with smoothed surfaces, and deforming geometry. So if you juliennize your text, create spline deform morphs and twists etc in modeler, surface it with smoothing turned on - DP Kit Edge shader (with smoothing turned on also in the Edge node) can't render the bevels nicely.
    Last edited by AbstractTech3D; 07-31-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    If you have AE and need some basic 3D, then this product really is a no-brainer - well... as long as you've got a project that will pay for it. I'm looking forward to buying it - as soon as I can.

Looky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQt7tDnq9k&hd=1

More fun from Andrew. This is one of the innovative awesome plugins I've seen.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstractTech3D View Post
    I have long found it quite ridiculous that while a significant portion of 3D / CG is motion graphics, and a very large portion of motion graphics involves text, that the text tools we have are truly awful.
    Isn't that exactly how C4D is paying its rent?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Frosted Glass

I have a question for those of you who bought Element.

Can it do frosted glass like in this image. The DOF and blurry refractions send the render times way up to smooth out all the noise. Yes, I can do DOF in post, but it takes a bunch of tweaking because of all the overlapping parts.

I know there aren't raytraced reflections in element, but I think I might be able to get by without them for this. I've watched most of the videos on Element, but I don't remember seeing this particular look done.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stairTest4_v002_0087.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	106141  
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    Looky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQt7tDnq9k&hd=1

More fun from Andrew. This is one of the innovative awesome plugins I've seen.
    totally agree! it is so cool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast