Thread: RSS Feed as news ticker

RSS Feed as news ticker

I have LT2.1 with Datalink 3. I cannot find any information on how to add an RSS feed in the LiveText or Datalink manuals. I've added the RSS Feed as a profile in Datalink, but after that I'm lost.

? It took me less than a minute to do a Ctrl+f and find the RSS discussion in the manual. Was there some specific thing you were wondering about?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Which manual? I searched both the LiveText User Guide and the Datalink 3.0 Product Brief and nothing appeared except this which doesn't tell me how to do it, or provide step-by-step instructions:

A new 'network' feature for DataLink 3 allows an RSS feed to be easily configured as a data source for LiveText.
    ␣ Multiple RSS feeds can be defined and be individually enabled or disabled. Data is refreshed dynamically according to timing specified by the operator.
    ␣ XML codes and embedded HTML tags in RSS feeds are automatically translated to actual text.
    ␣ Operators can choose which specific elements of an RSS feed to use.

Text file support can also be configured in the DataLink Profile Editor.
    ␣ Text file input allows user to dynamically retrieve key/value pair data from any number of text files stored within the LiveText text input folder.
    ␣ DataLink continues to support parsing of key/value pairs from XML files stored in this folder (for backwards compatibility).
    ␣ The UI provides a button to take the user directly to the text input folder.
    ␣ DataLink watches text and XML files in this folder for any changes, and updates corresponding LiveText values in real time.

DataLink 3, with the Datalink Profile Editor, greatly streamlines the configuration and management of data sources. It's much more convenient to set up and use one or more sources, and switch between setups for different venues or applications - and more reliable too. In addition, the newly added hardware sources and especially the support for RSS feeds provide many new and important creative possibilities.

Is there a manual I don't have?
    Last edited by mtash; 07-25-2012 at 09:40 PM.

See section 4.2.2 in the manual here: http://www.newtek.com/support/documentation.html

(You'll also want to be familiar with the material in the rest of this chapter, as it bears on using Datalink values in your titles.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I'm sorry. I don't see a 4.2.2 section in the Livetext User Guide.

Sorry - typo: it's 4.4.2.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

There is no 4.4.2 section. In the LiveText Users Guide, it goes from 4.4 to 4.5.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtash View Post
    There is no 4.4.2 section. In the LiveText Users Guide, it goes from 4.4 to 4.5.
    Upgrade to 2.1 to see new features and new manual.
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I AM using 2.1. The Users Guide says Version 2.0. This should not be that difficult. Either there is step-by-step instructions or we're left to figure it out on our own.
    Last edited by mtash; 07-26-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Yes, there is - see image attached. I suspect you are looking at the manual for a version of LiveText integrated with TriCaster, rather than the standalone version. Only the latter supports Datalink. Or perhaps you have an earlier version without the Network feed support. That would explain why you can't find the feature (although it is discussed at section 4.4.2 in the manual on the page I linked below, as I wrote).

If you have a standalone version, you're going to want to make sure you have the latest update from the downloads page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	442.png 
Views:	281 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	105783  
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I AM using 2.1. The Users Guide says Version 2.0. This should not be that difficult. Either there is step-by-step instructions or we're left to figure it out on our own.
    The step by step instructions are in the 2.1 manual as Steve has stated. Try reinstalling it but other than what Steve said, makes no sense why you are not seeing the right manual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LiveText_Users_Guide_Page_003.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	105784  
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I did have LT 2.1 but was referencing the 2.0 manual I had downloaded. Sorry for the confusion!

No worries, just glad we're all on the same page now.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster