Thread: Shadows? Anyone? Bueller?

Shadows? Anyone? Bueller?

Hi,
    While not new to NewTek Products (VT 2.0), but I'm very new to the Tricaster. We recently rented a 450 to do some testing. I noticed in the Live Sets that showed the talent from head to toe, there was either a shadow as part of the Live Set or no shadow at all. In the set that we used (Nightly News B - talent standing next to a large screen with zoom) there was no shadow. This made the talent appear disconnected from the Live Set.

In Post I made a shadow and tracked it to the talent as they walked on set and during the zoom in. This went a very long way in marrying the talent to the floor and give that extra touch of realism.

I found this old post from 2008:
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=77643

So, now to my question, the Tricaster can make real time reflections, so there a way to make realtime shadows on the floor using a similar method?

Thanks

That link is referring to the standard definition plugins for the non XD tricasters.
    I usually supply the customer with a few shadow options they can turn on and off in VSE, but these are static (ie, won't follow the talent).
    Ultimatte does this by creating a real shadow on the greenscreen stage and tuning the keyer to recognize it and spill suppress it. I've not experimented with that because I mainly use Chromatte which doesn't create any shadows with my Tricaster.
    Let us know if you come up with any good solutions.
    Eric Pratt
    Virtualset.com - Virtual Set Marketplace
    Virtualsetworks.com - Tricaster Virtual Sets
    Virtualsetworks on Facebook - Get Social

Thank Eric, I will.
    We should be getting our Tricaster soon. I think we're going with the 455.
    Making a shadow in post and then tracking and scaling it was a bit tedious, but without it the talent wasn't married to the floor, but it took the immediacy out of the process.

Maybe a Feature Request in VSE3 -> Create Reflection layer and have the option to reduce saturation to 0 (black) and add a blur (a few %) - et voila: a nice realtime shadow of the moving talent..

I will post this in Feature requests aswell..
    First Certified Tricaster Operator in Germany

Operating, Trainings & Support in Germany
    FatFish features

We'll be showing real-time shadows and other features in our enhanced livesets at NAB 2016.

More info in this post...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....s-so-much-more
    Master Control... One Touch Does it All and Much More...
    http://mastercontrol.youngmonkey.ca

NewTek Authorized Reseller

Lightbulb Virtual Sets with Live Shadows for HD TriCasters

Some examples of LIVE TriCaster shadows can be viewed at this link: http://virtualsets.com/new/news.html

Virtual sets with live shadows are available for all current TriCaster models. Our shadows properly warp around 3D objects, too.

Sincerely,
    Tim Hedegaard
    Virtualsets.com, Inc.
    NewTek Authorized Reseller
    Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
    newtek@virtualsets.com

(323) 512-1542 office
    or call toll-free: 1-855-TRICAST

The only way I have been able to figure out how to do this is to cheat. I use a Key to bring in the talent and use Layer A for the shadow. Layer A in this case is the same source as the Keyed presenter, but to make it a shadow I pick up the Key for Layer A from another ME which is set to display the alpha of the keyed output of the camera. I then key out the white leaving a black shape, with a bit of feathering and a layer on top to adjust the opacity it works. However I think there must be a simpler way, as can be seen by the chaps posting above with their products, which looks very nice and they also warp around shapes which I could kinda do using this method as it's the Layer A that's creating the shadow and the actual talent is coming in via a key.
    We have our own designer who does work for network broadcasters as well as for us, and would be easier to do all within house as we turn around a lot of virtual sets and variants of virtual sets on a daily basis.

If anyone finds an easier way than what I have detailed above it would be most useful. Especially as this work around only works if you don't have something like a desk front in front of Layer A, in which case you'd need to bring in as another key downstream of the talent, and then the live set zoom wouldn't work unless you then routed the ME through yet another ME.

It makes my head hurt, but I can get the effect I want, just not in the most simplistic manner! Are there any advanced training course for designing virtual sets? Would be really useful to go on one to answer this and other questions that crop up on a semi regular basis.