Thread: How to make a passenger train trail a locomotive?

How to make a passenger train trail a locomotive?

This is driving me nuts. I figured I would export the motion path used by the locomotive and shift the frames about 10 frames for the passenger car... however, it doesn't work reliably. In certain areas, it stays the appropriate distance back, but in others, it rides to close or too far back. Tried adjusting the keyframes manually, but that didn't work out terribly well either.

Is there a better approach for doing this? Parenting doesn't seem to work either.

Last edited by nickdigital; 05-28-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Quote Originally Posted by nickdigital View Post
    Nick,

You probably listed this, but since I can't seem to open it as a Quicktime file, I thought I'd share it as a YouTube file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0xa2Ovvxw

Hope this helps and a BIG thanks to William Vaughan for all the help he's shared over the years.
    THREEL, but you can call me AL.
    John 3:16
    Psalm 14:1
    Philippians 2:9-11

Dr Follower in Relativity has a "wizard" to help setup stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    Dr Follower in Relativity has a "wizard" to help setup stuff like this.
    It seems Relativity is getting to be one of the most overlooked things in LW. It ROCKS.

I agree. Its been around long before LW had native expressions and is very powerful.
    Definately worth digging into.

Follower - Pitch doesn't work?

Thanks for the tips with Follower, it works well. The only issue I am running into is with align to path. Heading aligns properly, but not Pitch? Rather than angling up on my track for a hill, the cars tend to tilt down?

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilcko View Post
    Thanks for the tips with Follower, it works well. The only issue I am running into is with align to path. Heading aligns properly, but not Pitch? Rather than angling up on my track for a hill, the cars tend to tilt down?
    Are they actually tilting down, or are they just not tilting at all?

I'm speculating that "Align" might not work with Follower, since it's not really a motion path. Or you might need to apply Follower or something like Follower to the cars' rotation channels.

++
    EDIT: FWIW, Follower here is faithfully duplicating all target rotations, w/o even using its own "Align to Path" checkbox.
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

inherently slow mouse operations

Quote Originally Posted by THREEL View Post
    You probably listed this, but since I can't seem to open it as a Quicktime file, I thought I'd share it as a YouTube file.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0xa2Ovvxw

Hope this helps and a BIG thanks to William Vaughan for all the help he's shared over the years.
    While I think that Proton's technique demonstrated above was an excellent illumination of how LW's tools can work synergistically/additively to achieve effects that otherwise would be difficult, as a practical technique I don't think most people would want to create a roller-coaster track in this manner, ie via bone deformation.
    +++
    FOLLOWER UI: I don't think it's very workflow friendly that neither ENTER on the numpad nor ENTER on the main keyboard dismisses the Follower panel: while using Escape cancels any changes the user may have made to numeric fields in the panel.

Basically, the user is forced to use the CONTINUE button to exit the panel with changes intact, which as a mouse operation is inherently slow.

(While, for completeness, I also think there should be an explicit Cancel button, that users can see, not just the implicit Escape option, which noobs won't know about. If the button were labeled "CANCEL (Esc)" it would also be consistent with LW user interface conventions.)
    Last edited by jeric_synergy; 05-29-2012 at 11:53 PM.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.