Thread: Question

Question

Does anyone know if you can export files from a trial version of Lightwave to a fully licensed version? And vice versa?
    I have a project that I need to edit but I'm not fluent in Lightwave, if I load a scene that was previously made in a fully licensed version of Lightwave, into a Trial version, can I bring it back into the Licensed copy?

The scene file (.lws) might be ok. I think LW watermarks the render in the Trial. Objects (.lwo) files are restricted to a point count. So you might be able to load a large object but I don't think you can save it out. So you won't be able to edit it.

That's my guess. (I'm not able to test this out right now.)
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

I'm not exactly sure what work I will required to do, it will probably be small edits to a piece of animation. I'm going to be given someone else's scene, already modelled, animated and ready, and I just have to make minor edits.

My concern is that the person I'm getting the scene from, obviously, uses a Licensed version of Lightwave whereas I only have access to a Trial.

If I need to get a License then that can be done, I was just hoping I could do without. Any thoughts?

Just tried it here. You can't save out of Layout. You'll need to get a license/dongle.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

How about a 30 Day trial license? I feel like a broken record, but will there be any issues between a Trial License version of LW and a fully purchased Licensed version of LW?

Oh, a 30 day Trial license is probably ok. All I did was unplug my dongle which puts it in Discovery mode.

Customer service would know more.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

You've been a big help though, thanks.

The trial version is identical to the full version with two limitations. You can't use commercial plugins that require a dongle ID (obviously) and you can't use Screamernet, LightWave's networking rendering solution. Other than that it is identical - scenes and objects can be saved and don't need exporting or importing to bring them into a full version.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Thank you sir, that is exactly the answer I was originally looking for. Much appreciated.