Thread: Parenting Question

Parenting Question

I have just placed a point light inside a transparent sphere and enabled lens flare, parented the light to the sphere and added dynamics. It seems to be working fine, but I've noticed that when the sphere rotates after calculations, the light doesn't follow in its rotation path. Is there a way this can be done?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    becuase dynamics move only the points of an object, not its origin/pivot... The sphere is technically displacing, NOT moving.

You'll want to use something like DPkit nodes to constrain items directly to the verts of the object.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Ah right, that does make sense. So if thats the case, how come the first sphere that lands that has 4 spheres inside rotates with its parent? Or is it because the dynamics considered the child during calculation?

So is this DPkit available for the mac? I already have DP MotionDesigner plugin but I'm not sure where to put it or how they work.

Thanks
    Last edited by daz1761; 05-19-2012 at 08:25 AM.

No idea about the other sphere's... u didnt mention them, and Ive no idea whats going on in your scene/how they've been setup... but there must be something other than the basic parent<>child relationship.

And yes, so far as Im aware all DPs plugins are available for mac.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Cheers, sorry yes, there is only 2 spheres, 1 with 4 other small spheres that are on layer 2 that are parented, and the 1 in question with a point light parented to it. Maybe I should try maybe parenting the point light to a null object, then parent that to the sphere and see what happens.

So these DPs, where do you put the actual plug in and how do you open them? Are they accessed through the deform tab? Sorry, its just Ive never used them before.

Thanks

well no... if u parent to a null then parent the null, ul get the same result obviously (provided the only thing happening is the parent child relationship).

As for the plugs, add them like any other plugin... and the ones in question are nodes. U'll want to use nodal motion (modifier) on the light, get the point info node (DP) select the given point index, take its position/rotation into the input pos/rot, and there u go.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

yes your right, it was no different.

Thanks for the heads up about the plugins, etc. Will try and have a go a bit later at it. It looks good now, but it will look better is its rotating

Thanks!

You could put a point or a very small poly at the center of the sphere object. Run your dynamics simulation. Use the editfx tool to pick a point from the point or small poly in the center of the spheres and generate a motion path from it. A null is created that is attached to that motion path which you could then parent your light to.

Thanks, sounds interesting. Can the editfx button be used when calculated by the bullet? Also I have got into the habit of exporting an MD file from bullet and importing it into the deform tab (md reader). So how do you actually take the motion path from an object that has dynamics?

Thanks!

Just load the MDD using cloth fx instead, then you can get the edit tab.

However tbh, its a bit of a waste for something like this imo, if you want to make a change after you gotta go through and plot it all out again, using point constraint allows you to make changes and have things update to match.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Good point actually, cus knowing my luck something will go t*ts up after its all been done, but it does seem a easier way for a novice like myself. Unfortunately, i have an exam coming up so wont be able to experiment properly until later on in the week sadly but I need to do it definitely. But thanks again peeps

Quote Originally Posted by daz1761 View Post
    Thanks, sounds interesting. Can the editfx button be used when calculated by the bullet? Also I have got into the habit of exporting an MD file from bullet and importing it into the deform tab (md reader). So how do you actually take the motion path from an object that has dynamics?

Thanks!
    Basically anything thats animated can be md scanned. Once thats done you can use the editfx tool to extract a motion path off any point. Edit works with BDD files generated by hardfx, mdd files and particles. It works nicely and doesnt depend on 3rd party plugins. Either way it gives you more then one method of accomplishing the same thing.