Thread: Flocking Heading

Flocking Heading

I searched and found nothing about this. As you can see by the images, when I begin the Flock at Frame 0, the horse and rider face one direction (toward the Director), but as soon as I move the director even one frame, the Flock changes 180 degrees.

How do I control the direction of my instances in a Flock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	310.3 KB 
ID:	104405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flock_1_Frame.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	363.5 KB 
ID:	104406  
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Hmm yes it happened to me also recently and i can't remember how how i solved it. Hmm you might wanna wait for James to show up. Maybe you could for now start complete flocking below frame 0 (like -10 or so).

EDIT: Does your mesh (model) facing z+ axis in modeler ? If is rotated other way (regardless how you rotated it in layout) that might be problem here.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Send the scene to Fogbugz please!!! Agents shouldn't suddenly snap round.
    LightWave3D training, assets, news and discussion at www.liberty3d.com
    My opinions are my own and do not represent the opinions of any other entity, Liberty3D is not officially endorsed by NewTek.

Where is Fogbugz?

Here is the scene without the LWOs.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswillmott View Post
    Send the scene to Fogbugz please!!! Agents shouldn't suddenly snap round.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rcallicotte; 05-17-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

In Layout, my Mesh(es) face(s) Z-.

In Modeler, Z-.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Hmm yes it happened to me also recently and i can't remember how how i solved it. Hmm you might wanna wait for James to show up. Maybe you could for now start complete flocking below frame 0 (like -10 or so).

EDIT: Does your mesh (model) facing z+ axis in modeler ? If is rotated other way (regardless how you rotated it in layout) that might be problem here.

Try to rotate mesh in modeler to Z+ axis and save it, then check scene in layout.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Lewis, I will this afternoon. I can't access it right now. Thanks!

If anyone wants to check it out, I attached it above without the mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Try to rotate mesh in modeler to Z+ axis and save it, then check scene in layout.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    Where is Fogbugz?
    send it to [email protected]
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post

Got this from LW-bugs --

I don't think it's a bug per se, what is happening is the direction is derived from the velocity using the current system.

At frame 0 the velocity is 0 and the agents default to facing along +Z, as soon as the simulation moves to frame 1 there is a tiny acceleration along -Z and the new rotation switches 180 degrees.

To 'fix' this would involve a rewrite, or alternatively start rendering from frame 1 and ignore the shift on frame 0, or rotate the scene so the goal directors are in front of the flock from frame 0.

Future behaviours for flocking agents are planned to have a dampening effect on the rotation so your agents would turn slowly and not snap, but that is out of scope for any bug fix release.

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    Got this from LW-bugs --

I don't think it's a bug per se, what is happening is the direction is derived from the velocity using the current system.

At frame 0 the velocity is 0 and the agents default to facing along +Z, as soon as the simulation moves to frame 1 there is a tiny acceleration along -Z and the new rotation switches 180 degrees.

To 'fix' this would involve a rewrite, or alternatively start rendering from frame 1 and ignore the shift on frame 0, or rotate the scene so the goal directors are in front of the flock from frame 0.

Future behaviours for flocking agents are planned to have a dampening effect on the rotation so your agents would turn slowly and not snap, but that is out of scope for any bug fix release.
    Why not just start the sim at frame -5, typically that's easy enough to pull off in a scene from my exp.

Setting my object correctly in Modeler to Z+ fixed it for me.