Thread: DP Instancer Mac Questions

DP Instancer Mac Questions

I'm finally getting around to trying DP Instancer, but the help files show controls that don't appear here.

Missing items include: "Reference Cloned As," "Get Instance ID," "Get Instance Flags," "Min Path Distance," "Max Path Distance," "Based Area Evaluation," "Density Weight Map," "Map Coverage," "Polygon Limit," "Dispersion," and "Pass Number." "Normal," Dispersed," and "Relaxed" are also missing.

Is this the difference between the Windows 1.09 version and the Mac 1.07 version? Are there any plans to update the Mac version to current? -- PLEASE?

Has anyone successfully used this plug-in with Mac LW 11.0.1? Unfortunately, I think I can't do what I need to do with the 1.07 plugin version. I'd hate to resort to cloning, as it would be a very heavy poly-count.

Thanks for any help.

TrueArt Support
    Cloning is obsolete- use what is below it in menu - Clone Instance tool..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Cloning is obsolete- use what is below it in menu - Clone Instance tool..
    Yeah, that's a groovy tool, thanks. But it seems to need manual adjustment on each cloned instance. Yes, you can manually set up groups and clone those instances, but ... I was hoping for something that would instance my object on a surface with density according to a weight map, with "typical" instance randomness for stretch, rotation, etc. - for probably 10K-30K instances.

If clone instance can only be done one at a time, or in manually adjusted groups, it's not going to work in this case.

In the case you describe, why note using native instancer with nodal setup for your density ?

I'm afraid I'm not very node-savvy -- working on it but haven't had that "aha!" moment with nodes yet.

Is there a way to use LW's instance over an object's surface with a weight map as density guide? If so, that's what I need.

If so, got a node set-up?

That's pretty easy : just click "node setup", select a weight map, plug-in in the <instanced_object> weight and voila.
    I've put an exemple with two weight maps on the same setup : one for the sunflowers ("bouleau" on my example) and one for the grass. Each zone had a specific weight map which has been plugged on the right entry. I then chose the surface distribution mode and adjusted the number of instances to be happy. Pretty straightforward. Hope it helps.

Edit : don't get confused by the names of the sunflowers. I had at first used a tree (hence the name "bouleau" which I replaced by sunflowers (tournesol) for a simpler view, but the instancer kept the name "bouleau" in the nodal editor and "tournesol" in the instancer properties panel)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	node_weightmap.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	575.4 KB 
ID:	104067  
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 05-05-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Thanks Captain! That is indeed simple. As soon as I can I'll test that setup to see if the instances will follow a changing Y on the weighted object.