Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a decent model that could be animated?

Is this a decent model that could be animated?

My art teacher is a 3D modeler and he uses Maya and always brags about it. I showed him my Lightwave model and he said that it wasn't good and that i wouldn't be able to animate it down the road. The best thing would be just to start over. It took me a YEAR to even get to this point with this thing. I'm more lost than R kelly around grown women. Is my model that bad? Really?

I'm not done with the model at all, but i just need some insight from the pros who works in LIGHTWAVE and not some other package to help me. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Boobyman; 04-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Nope... nothing particularly wrong with that. Id suggest that there may be a more efficient shoulder topology that you could employ, you may well get some less than perfect results in the underarm region there... but otherwise, and for the most part, its perfectly usable.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Maybe you should ask your teacher what he specifically thinks is wrong with it other then your choice of software apps.

A good teacher would say what is wrong... if not it's just smugness.

RH and Splinegod know a lot about rigging . The only thing I think looks a bit odd is the femur and groin area. Maybe the quadriceps modeling and not enough subdivision under buttocks?

TrueArt Support

Looks like me..

Where did you get mine photo as reference?

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    I think you have very good modeling instincts. If you rig it and it animates to your liking, tell your teacher to pound sand.

Your teacher teaches because he does not do...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

Change the color of mesh, load it in Maya , choose different camera angle, make new screen grabs (with Maya's green wires ) and then ask him "what about this one, is it better than old one....." and then let us know what he said .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

The proportions are great - if you can get proportions right then all else is just experience and study.

I just don't understand a teacher who needs to brag about the software they use, or who needs to put students down...words fail me.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

World's Tallest Dwarf safetyman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Change the color of mesh, load it in Maya , choose different camera angle, make new screen grabs (with Maya's green wires ) and then ask him "what about this one, is it better than old one....." and then let us know what he said .
    Brilliant.

Can't believe a "teacher" would even say something like that. Not much of a teacher...

Sigh....

Looks good to me!

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Lol, thanks Lewis for giving me my late night chuckle

Go on Boobyman, do it.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobyman View Post
    My art teacher is a 3D modeler and he uses Maya and always brags about it. I showed him my Lightwave model and he said that it wasn't good and that i wouldn't be able to animate it down the road.
    That's some pretty crap 'instruction'. Without specifics it's pointless.

Your model is superior to any mesh I've ever made, so feel good about your accomplishment. Listen to Splinegod and RH.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

I FEEL THE LOVE! GOD BLESS LIGHTWAVE FOR EVER! Seriously, thanks guys for the support and encouragement. I know i have a long ways to go with 3D. My art teacher saw this thread as i showed it to him and read it. All of a sudden he was just kidding with me and was giving tough love. He did a complete 360 on me. He was seroius as all Hell when he pretty much said that i sucked in front 15 other students. But now when a commun that knows more than he does steps in he's nice, docile and only giving "Tough Love".

Better be careful with what i say. Wouldn't want to get an F and stuff.

I LOVE YOU ART TEACHER!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Nope... nothing particularly wrong with that. Id suggest that there may be a more efficient shoulder topology that you could employ, you may well get some less than perfect results in the underarm region there... but otherwise, and for the most part, its perfectly usable.
    Thanks for the insight. Do i need to add more geometry to the shoulder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast