Thread: Fix Poles

Fix Poles

I came across this fix poles tool whilst reading through my lw9 book as im revising for an exam. I tried it and it doesnt seem to do anything except give me a message saying you must select one or more triangles, etc. Im not sure if this is the cure for my question anyway so Ive attached a picture to show what I mean. I have been trying to select the outer polys, the ones running around the top part i've selected, but no luck.

Basically, what the best way to get rid of this pinching?

Thanks ( LW10.1, not 11 but im waiting for the upgrade )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinching.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	103734  

Theres a couple of ways. You can select the triangles on your end cap and run the pole tool or smooth shift the end once or twice very slightly.
    Another method I use sometimes is to convert the end into quad polys.
    I do this by killing the triangles and selecting the points around the hole in groups of 4.
    Lets say theres 24 points around the hole. Ill select 6 points in a row, make a spline and repeat that 3 more times. That will give me 4 splines around the hole. Then Ill patch the spline with 6x6 polys to match the points. This will give me end caps made of quads with no pinching.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    Theres a couple of ways. You can select the triangles on your end cap and run the pole tool or smooth shift the end once or twice very slightly.
    Another method I use sometimes is to convert the end into quad polys.
    I do this by killing the triangles and selecting the points around the hole in groups of 4.
    He doesn't have triangles.. I think it's one big CC n-gon at top (selection suggest it)..
    That's why Pole tool doesn't work..

I think the easy way to make triangles from such n-gon will be beveling it, then what will remain stretching down to one quite small point, then weld points in center..

In that case Id go with my 2nd suggestion to convert the end cap into a grid made of quads.

Its a two click method to create smooth domes or smooth circular mesh.
    click "create pole" on ngon circle poly(like what you have selected there) then click "fix pole"
    For cylinders with ngon circle on both ends its better to use cm_polysubdivide