Thread: Export Instances?

Export Instances?

In LW 11, can I export instances as one big object?
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

I'm not an expert on this, but I think instances are just a rendering feature. The geometry doesn't really exist except in the original object, so I'd say, no, you can't.
    System Spec: Asus G75V i7 3920XM 2.9 Ghz 32 Gb RAM nVidia 670M 3 Gb Win 7 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    In LW 11, can I export instances as one big object?
    There is a python script that does this. Been a while since I used so I can't quite recall the ins & outs of it. From memory one LWO per instance which you then need to crunch together (with a plugin as well from memory) into one big object.

It's located here: C:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave11.0.1\support\plugins\scrip ts\Python\Layout\Generic\bake_instance.py

Thank you everyone. I didn't think it was possible, since the object is just being fake reproduced, but this script might be a great opportunity. Thanks again!
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Quote Originally Posted by 3DGFXStudios View Post
    It's located here: C:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave11.0.1\support\plugins\scrip ts\Python\Layout\Generic\bake_instance.py
    Hello

Anybody know how to use this script? I was able to run it from the Python command in Layout, but I don't know how to use it.

I have a terrain of grass that i want to export.

Any help os appreciated.

Thanks!

Daniel

To use the script first select the base object that is being instanced. Run the script and a clone of the object will be placed at every point where there is an instance. Then save your scene as a .fbx file. You can then open the .fbx file in modeler and turn off the option to load into separate layers. You will then have a single object with the geometry of all your instances.

One gotcha with this is that Lightwave gives each clone unique surface names by appending numbers at the end of each name for each object. So you can end up with hundreds or thousands of surfaces instead of just a few. This is no problem if there is just one surface in your original object as you can easily assign the proper surface name to everything in the model. But if there is more than one surface you have to figure out how to merge them into one. That is discussed in this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....hlight=surface. The solution I liked the best was this script: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/p...lectsurfnames/

-Joe
    Last edited by lertola2; 08-25-2015 at 07:08 AM.