Thread: Radiosity Cache Everlasting Problem

Radiosity Cache Everlasting Problem

Baking Radiosity
    Set file path to Scene folder/desktop - Bake radiosity - Set locked - Render Scene - RECALCULATING RADIOSITY TT__TT

I have heard tons of people having trouble with finding the radiosity file when baking on a render farm, however this is locally and all I want is two answers simple as possible.

#1 How do you fix this problem without rebaking (locally)

#2 How do you fix this problem without rebaking (Externally / renderfarm)
    Jesus Christ died for you =)

Shameful selfbump D:... Hoping to get an answer on this one!

If you are rendering on your main box & all the files are there as well it should be ok. You could try Packaging the scene.

Your radiosity path could be via your network & the scene isn't, or vise versa.

Have you checked in Layout that the Paths to scene, objects, images & "radiosity" are correct.

If you change anything in the scene you will need to re-bake anyway. Unless it's some sort of unnoticeable detail or issue.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    If you are rendering on your main box & all the files are there as well it should be ok. You could try Packaging the scene.

Your radiosity path could be via your network & the scene isn't, or vise versa.

Have you checked in Layout that the Paths to scene, objects, images & "radiosity" are correct.

If you change anything in the scene you will need to re-bake anyway. Unless it's some sort of unnoticeable detail or issue.
    Packaging the scene?

Where do you see the paths? I look at the location of the radiosity output and it goes to the correct folder, all files are on my box.

What im really looking for if there is anyway you can specify the exact path of the radioisty file, in order for lw to be able to locate it properly. Using the path in the cache menu doesnt always work.

To me its actually pretty random, sometime it works, other time it doesnt.
    Last edited by HolyMonkey-; 04-07-2012 at 06:16 AM.

Just open the lws file with a text editor and check the path. Lightwave always criples the path to the cache file on windows boxes. You will have to do this after each time you save the scene with layout. For me this always works ..
    martin dulovits
    technical director

www.woogieworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by dulo View Post
    Just open the lws file with a text editor and check the path. Lightwave always criples the path to the cache file on windows boxes. You will have to do this after each time you save the scene with layout. For me this always works ..
    Do you have a video tutorial showing this? Right click the scene file and open with note pad and find the radiosity cache path and correct it or?
    Last edited by HolyMonkey-; 04-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMonkey- View Post
    Do you have a video tutorial showing this? Right click the scene file with note pad and find the radiosity cache path and correct it or?
    Thats it. lws files are just plain text. Open it with any text editor ( i prefer vim or notepad++) and edit the path after the word "RadiosityCacheFilePath". Just search this tag and edit the path and save the file.
    martin dulovits
    technical director

www.woogieworks.com

Thats it. lws files are just plain text. Open it with any text editor ( i prefer vim or notepad++) and edit the path after the word "RadiosityCacheFilePath". Just search this tag and edit the path and save the file.

Thank you!

Path shown in noepad++, which is correct.

RadiosityCacheFilePath C:\Users\sjo53125w\Desktop\Lifeboat_Release_Animat ion_01\radiosity.cache

Why does it still compute radiosity?

The radisoity.cache file is not located in the project folder, but an external folder on my desktop where the frame pics will end up. Does the radiosity cache have to be in the project directory?

No. If the path is notated absolutely like in your case the file does not need to be in the project hirarchy. Did you change any parameters since you cached your radiosity ? Do you calculate with animated radiosity ? Animated does not cache any light. It just caches sample positions ..
    martin dulovits
    technical director

www.woogieworks.com

Doublequote my bad

No. If the path is notated absolutely like in your case the file does not need to be in the project hirarchy. Did you change any parameters since you cached your radiosity ? Do you calculate with animated radiosity ? Animated does not cache any light. It just caches sample positions ..
    Quickest Reply in the history of man kind

Anyway I have animation ticked in as this neds to be ticked in when ou have moving objects correct?

Yes if you have moving objects you need animated cache, but as stated above in case of animated cache it is OK if LW calculates the light, because the cache is just for the position of the samples and not their values.
    martin dulovits
    technical director

www.woogieworks.com

The most elegant way would be to split your scene into two passes. One for the static objects with non animated lightcache and one with all your animated objects with animated lightcache .. but for most of the projects it is too much work to build and use those passes.
    martin dulovits
    technical director

www.woogieworks.com

Yes if you have moving objects you need animated cache, but as stated above in case of animated cache it is OK if LW calculates the light, because the cache is just for the position of the samples and not their values.
    ahhh so thats why I constantly get it recalculated, it recalculates i really fast yeah. Thanks man! I always use animation