Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: LightWave 7 vs. LightWave 10.1

  1. #1
    .:: happy LightWaver ::. renderwerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Berlin, Vancouver, Christchurch
    Posts
    165

    LightWave 7 vs. LightWave 10.1

    On my PC LightWave 7.5c
    the other PC LightWave 10.1 64 bit

    give it your best shot

    LightWave 7.5c render engine at 1 minute 28 seconds
    scene optimized....
    same scene only 27 seconds faster with LW 10.1

    I think that's not bad for a 32 bit LW 7


    1600 x 900 resolution
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW_vs_LW.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	193.0 KB 
ID:	102645  

  2. #2
    27 seconds is huge .... almost half a minute, and Even more by the hours.
    But i imagined it faster... One amazing thing to compare is Cloth fx Vs Motiondesigner...Motion designer win's in the solving the speed and self-collision.

    Cheers

  3. #3
    Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    524
    I've not seen any render speed increase going from 32bit to 64bit. In fact some scenes can be SLOWER in 64bit. Now going from just plain LW7 to LW10.1 will make rendering quite a bit faster. Heck, rendering was far faster in LW9.6 than in LW7.

  4. #4
    Indeed but With 64 bit i can load 12 million polys CAD designed car in lightwave
    and work...it itches but that same car in 32 bits cannot.

    And that is impressive.

  5. #5
    Banned OnlineRender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Glasgow , Scotland , UK
    Posts
    6,359
    now do it with 11 and see what you get .... I agree with Samus 27 seconds is a sh!"T load of time , work that over week ...that time could be spent animating " freelancer or hobbyist "

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by renderwerx View Post
    On my PC LightWave 7.5c
    the other PC LightWave 10.1 64 bit

    give it your best shot

    LightWave 7.5c render engine at 1 minute 28 seconds
    scene optimized....
    same scene only 27 seconds faster with LW 10.1
    LW 7.5=88 seconds
    LW 10.1 64bit=61 seconds

    LW 10.1 is 30% faster.

  7. #7
    Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Samus View Post
    Indeed but With 64 bit i can load 12 million polys CAD designed car in lightwave
    and work...it itches but that same car in 32 bits cannot.

    And that is impressive.
    But that's the REASON LW was ported to 64bit - so that it could handle more geometry and textures. Otherwise there would be no reason for going from 32bit to 64bit, except to keep up with OS's. Eventually all 32bit apps won't function on 64bit systems at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    LW 7.5=88 seconds
    LW 10.1 64bit=61 seconds

    LW 10.1 is 30% faster.
    LW7.5 2002
    LW10.1 2011

    I would expect more than a 30% increase over 9 years or so of tecnological advancement. Wouldn't you?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,143
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSorcery8 View Post
    I would expect more than a 30% increase over 9 years or so of tecnological advancement. Wouldn't you?
    Maybe if that is all they were working on.

    But they also did work on:

    Nodes
    Python
    VPR
    Bullet integration
    64 bit architecture
    pass management

    and the better part of three of those years was the CORE derailment

  9. #9
    Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    Maybe if that is all they were working on.

    But they also did work on:

    Nodes
    Python
    VPR
    Bullet integration
    64 bit architecture
    pass management

    and the better part of three of those years was the CORE derailment
    Python
    VPR
    Bullet integration

    Were all in LW11 - not LW10.1. And were part of the CORE work.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    4,143
    The argument isn't 10.1 vs 11 but what they have been doing in the 9 years you mention.

    And VPR was in 10

  11. #11
    Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    The argument isn't 10.1 vs 11 but what they have been doing in the 9 years you mention.

    And VPR was in 10
    You're right. But not python or bullet. Ofc we had FPrime since... 2004? So Viper isn't a huge gain for 9.6 users with FPrime. A nice addition of course, but not ground-breaking tech now.

    Actually your original reasoning of Newetk working on lots of tech at the same time doesn't really hold up. According to many users of LW11, rendering speeds are significantly increased over LW10.1 - and during LW11 development they were working on:

    - flocking
    - instancing
    - Python
    - Bullet ... and other things.

    And yet they STILL managed to decrease render times by quite a bit. Right?
    Last edited by DigitalSorcery8; 03-15-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: addition

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSorcery8 View Post
    I would expect more than a 30% increase over 9 years or so of tecnological advancement. Wouldn't you?
    Yea and in 18 more years it will take 0 time to render!!

    There's only so fast it will render. LW is not going drastically slower than the others, and at the point they are now it would take a year just to make it another 3% faster, and nothing else would get developed. So 30% *is* a lot faster.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

  13. #13
    Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Yea and in 18 more years it will take 0 time to render!!

    There's only so fast it will render. LW is not going drastically slower than the others, and at the point they are now it would take a year just to make it another 3% faster, and nothing else would get developed. So 30% *is* a lot faster.
    I don't necessarily disagree... but the facts don't quite agree. If it took nine years (or thereabouts) to get to a 30% increase... and many people have said that LW11 is nearly twice as fast as LW10.1... that's allot less development time between LW 10.1 and LW11 than between LW7.5 and LW10.1. Correct?

    Though I suspect that there was FAR less development of the renderer between 7.5 and 9 than there was all during the long 9.x cycle. LW9.6 ended up being quite a bit faster than 9.0.

  14. #14
    It's not as simple as digging a longer ditch the more time you spend at it, or looking at the time passed and the speed improvement, and assume the next period of development will improve the speed the same amount. Render speed improvements consist of removing bottlenecks and making shortcuts, once you've done most of that, there's very little left to gain. So it depends on what they have left to do on the renderer, what part they decide to work on (raytracing, aa, gi, memory, etc.) and when they do it. LW9.3 (or thereabouts) for example is when they changed blurry reflections to only blur on the first bounce (I conclude from tests), speeding up the process dramatically, but then there's nothing left to do, it's only sped up slightly since then. I seriously doubt 11 is twice as fast as 10, unless 10 had some problems.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)

  15. #15
    Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    524
    Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I seriously doubt 11 is twice as fast as 10, unless 10 had some problems.
    I honestly don't know since I don't have 10.1 or 11. I've just read about it here in various threads - the speed improvements are extensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •