Thread: AVI(.avi) vs. DirectShow(.avi)?

AVI(.avi) vs. DirectShow(.avi)?

Whenever I choose AVI(.avi) as my save animation type I get a "Cannot Open File" error and no render, but when I choose DirectShow(.avi) I am able to save a render. I am using windows XPSP3. This is just a simple LW render to a local drive.

What is the difference between the two and why does this happen?

NinJa Killlller
    Still A bit confused...
    All the codecs i used to use are gone????
    i feel lost
    No documentation about the change

Old Dog Learns New Tricks RudySchneider's Avatar
    I'm sure others will agree with me that you're better off saving any animation as a sequence of renders, then compile into a video --- either within Layout or with another program, like VirtualDub --- afterwards. There are a couple of reasons:
    1. If your computer hiccups midway through, you can start rendering from the last frame already rendered, and
    2. It allows you to tweak a few frames as needed without having to re-render the entire animation.
    There are no problems, only opportunities...

I used to always create test renders as QuickTime files. I never found an avi codec that was very good other than divX. When I went to the 64bit version of LW 10, there was no QT support. Seems like I get the best results using DirectShow AVI with the mjpeg codec. I have no idea what the difference is between avi and directshow avi. Of course, I always render a still sequence for most things, but it is nice to be able to get a quick test render.

Quote Originally Posted by RudySchneider View Post
    I'm sure others will agree with me that you're better off saving any animation as a sequence of renders, then compile into a video --- either within Layout or with another program, like VirtualDub --- afterwards. There are a couple of reasons:
    1. If your computer hiccups midway through, you can start rendering from the last frame already rendered, and
    2. It allows you to tweak a few frames as needed without having to re-render the entire animation.
    Agree!

& if you want to save as an AVI in LW you can composite the frames anyway!

Nothing like having a blackout to clarify the use of rendering frames!
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

I believe the DirectShow AVI defeats the 2GB per AVI file limitation.
    BRACE MEDIA
    Ensuring every picture tells your story.

New Brace Media website

In 64 bit..If I render previews from Lightwave Native render, I usually render out to images, then pull them in to after effects or premiere.

But for rendering animation previews when using VPR, I usually select uncompressed AVI frames and that works, then import to after effects and from there save out to quicktime animation, or quicktime h264., the quicktime animation gives the best results.

Michael