Thread: User-Defined Content Directories

User-Defined Content Directories

I have loved the 'Create Directories' option since it was integrated into Layout, and use it for every project.

However, for pretty much every project I still add my own directories for non-LW stuff, though most of my project are not LW-driven. For me these are typically folders called:

Reference
    From_(insert client's ID)
    To_(insert client's ID)
    From_(insert freelancer's ID)

and so on.

My request is that we can also add user-defined directories that will appear when we hit that 'Create Directories' button in the Paths tab in the Preferences panel.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Hi,

Can't you rename some of the standard ones that you don't use, so that it creates them when you press the button?

I must admit, I've never used it. Does it respect studio style content directories?

I have my setup like this:

content directory (NAS drive):
    -objects
    - Client1
    - object1.lwo
    - object2.lwo
    - Client2
    - object1.lwo
    - object2.lwo
    scenes
    - Client1
    - scene1.lws
    - scene2.lws
    - Client2
    - scene1.lws
    - scene2.lws

I also have no spaces in my files names.

Ricky.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

I guess I could use some the directories I don't use - but then I never know when I'm likely to use them. I tend to keep my projects totally separate, for ease of back up when they're finished. So for a client called ABC Solutions, their first project would be called ABCS001TheFirstProject - the second would be ABCS002TheSecondProject - that project reference runs throughout the project, even to invoicing, online delivery folders, email referencing etc.

I just create the automatic directories within that folder for the project like so:

ABCS001TheFirstProject
    -Objects
    -Images
    -Scenes
    -Cache
    -Reference (my own)
    -From_ABSC (my own)
    -From_Freelancer (my own)

and so on. Then when the project is finished, I just grab the whole thing, sling it on to the backup drives and job done Nice and contained. It does mean replication of some common imagery, but it's so rare nowadays to not have tweaked a texture or model for another project that I don't really mind.

Mine are also on a RAID NAS drive, and likewise with the spaces in any of the directory path or filenames - they're a killer for some things. It may have changed now but old habits die hard

I'm not sure what you mean by studio style direrctories?
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

Oh that is so annoying... On a free wifi network and it just crashed out when I was sending a long winded reply...

Anyway, the abridged version as follows:

Studio style content setup is just a buzz word I picked up from Simon Coombes' site:

http://www.simon-coombs.com/items/index.htm

I works best for people who reuse content (e.g. arch viz). It's a shame I've never been able to get his plugins to work with my NAS setup.

I work off the NAS (raid mirrored) and then use a bit of software (name I can't remember as I'm not in the office) to look for change files and zip them up and backup from NAS to offsite backup storage.

Should really be using Content Manager to take a scene and all content and remap to standard content setup and then zip and backup.

Ricky.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Ah I see. Not a bad idea, but I have to admit I change most objects, even in arch viz, to suit the particular light setup I have (or client changes to standard textures/finishes and so on). I guess there are pros and cons for both methods, but I'll have a look at it his stuff, it might be useful!

I'm pretty much the same set up - RAID NAS, backed up offsite each night using SyncBack, and a local copy made manually by pushing a button. I'm paranoid! Old projects get archived on to two seperate NAS drives - one onsite to access if I need to get to old projects' content and another offsite. If I'm honest I'd quite like the archived stuff to have a third copy somewhere as well - if one goes down it's scary to have only one version left.

It's funny, because only the other day did I end up changing an sIBL object used in the Lancaster scene whilst setting up another render. If I hadn't have been awake, I would have messed up Lanc scene for future renders.

I guess it's all about housekeeping + paranoia + what works best.

I'm in the process of having a complete LW cleanup. Going through all my plugins and dumping the ones I don't use or that have been superseded by LWCAD. I want to be able to work off the laptop, but with the same configs as the main PC, everything pointing to a NAS plugin directory too.

All fun.

LOL - I've just been going through my object collection and realised there are things in there so old and outdated now I should get rid. But then it dawned on me that I would need to put a week aside to go through everything!