Thread: Excel Spreadsheet Imported Into LiveText

Excel Spreadsheet Imported Into LiveText

Can you import an Excel Spreadsheet into Live Text? If so, how. Thanks!

Sort of. It's a little complicated, but it can be done. Can you give some context of what you're trying to do?
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

I'm basically trying to create a "table" so that I can create a baseball team line-up for multiple teams. Live Text doesn't really allow for table creation or colums of text. I can create a table in Excel and if I can export it into Live Text, then I can have what I need for this and other applications.

A while back, user "akscooter" posted an Excel file used for hockey stats on this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=114845

The export sheet is the key to getting Excel data in to LiveText (via Datalink). I'm not going to go in to much detail... you have be a least a hobbyist with Excel to adapt his file to other things, but it can be done.

Basically, you need to point export page cells to be equal to cells on other pages. When you run the macro shortcut key, Excel writes a new text file in the Datalink watch folder.

In LiveText, you need to create a page that basically recreates the table in Excel, but points to the proper Datalink keys. This will take a little bit of time, but it's worth it in the end.

One might ask if you're just updating a table, why even bother with Excel. A lot of times when you get rosters from teams, it's a lot quicker to cut and paste the table columns in to Excel, something that is not so easy to do in LiveText.

But it's more than that. If you look at the original hockey file, you can let Excel calculate stats for you, and push those calculations out to LiveText. The hockey file has something where you can click a player i nthe roster, publish the text file file, and keys for a headshot page are all updates, including updated stats. You can get creative with the concatenate feature and even generate filepaths to player headshots, team logos, etc... without even touching the CG pages. Just publish the text file and its done. Very slick.

Take a look at that file and see how its working. You should be able to make it work with a basic table, and then get creative with it!
    Zach Schuster
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

If all goes according to plan, in the next few months we'll be releasing CGStatLink Pro- Baseball/Softball that will have some slick roster options for StatCrew and non-StatCrew users. Head over to http://www.cgstatlink.com or better yet, like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/CGStatLink to get notified of updates and announcements.
    Zach Schuster
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U